ms261 200$ worth it ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can get hand on a stihl ms261, which is about 6-7 yrs for 180-200$ (CAD$, I live in canada). The guy say he had worked with it maybe half that time (2-3 yrs) and she's still running good. The thing is that it's about 3 hrs round trip to go get it, do you think it worth it without knowing anything else about the saw ? I only have 1 picture so far.
The deal seems quite good but would like to hear what knowledgeable people have to say.
Thx !

Attachments

• IMG_0772.PNG
    IMG_0772.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Yeah, try to get some more pics. Have him take a pic of the bottom as well. Looks like it will clean up pretty good?

I’d be willing to make the trip for $200 pending pics.

Looks dirty but no too trashed, if i was in the market i might take a risk on a few hour trip. Any chance of getting more pics from the guy?
Well at least I should ask him. Actually he have two 261 for sale but my girlfriend would kill me if I buy two more !! The thing that make me hesitate is that he was working part time with it for his job, so probably a couple hundreds hours of running time.

Is there anything to see or do in area so as to defray the time and fuel? That would be as much investment as the cost of saw.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I bought this 026 PRO two years ago for the same price, $220, including S&H, PHO. That was one whale of a good buy IMO:
Stihl 026 PRO-2.JPG
I added the outer bumper spike. I could replace it today with a new MS 261 for about $600. I doubt that I will do that.

Maybe I should wait for a deal like that too ! She seems almost new.
I had to clean her up a bit, but I was surprised at how well this saw works. I thought it was going to be a basket case, but it was not. Compression is excellent. Then again, it is an 026 PRO, not an MS 261. I've heard that the 261 has about 10% more power. I have tried running an 18" bar with this one and it has no trouble. Some guys run 20" bars with 261's but I never have run a 20" bar with my 026 PRO. I have a 361 and several other saws for that.

5689125B-7E92-453B-BE5E-075CB28B7371.jpeg
Maybe I should wait for a deal like that too ! She seems almost new
If you’re not set in stone on Stihl there are other great deals out there also. I just got this 2 weeks ago, Echo 590, $100. Runs great. I had to clean it up and put $10 into it. Came with 2 chains, 1 NIB.

View attachment 670031
If you’re not set in stone on Stihl there are other great deals out there also. I just got this 2 weeks ago, Echo 590, $100. Runs great. I had to clean it up and put $10 into it. Came with 2 chains, 1 NIB.
Dang, Dahmer, that was a really good buy. Holy Cow! You have to wonder why anyone would have sold that saw for a measly C-note.

Dang, Dahmer, that was a really good buy. Holy Cow! You have to wonder why anyone would have sold that saw for a measly C-note.
It makes me review my “deal” on the 261. But I think prices are a little bit higher here in quebec city (canada).

Back