MS270 Woodboss or MS290 Farmboss?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmikewil

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace an old Stihl with a newer one. I'm looking at Stihl 250, 270 Woodboss, and a 290 Farmboss. I'll be using it for several cords of firewood a year, and maintaining fence rows. I'd like a 16 to 18 inch bar.

I've had each of the above saws in my hands, and really liked the features and weight of the 270 best. In spite of the tooless bar cover and chain adjustment, anybody know why the 270 is higher priced than the more powerful 290 Farmboss? The 270 stickers for $369 vs $329 for the 290. I'm not quibbling over $40, but am interested in buying the higher quality saw. My dealer mentioned the split case feature, but I don't understand what about this might make this a higher grade saw.

:confused:

MS270 has pro construction, thats makes price. ;)
Have MS270 and like this saw, very good antivibe, smooth runing and well balanced, very good engine acceleration, the same power as MS260.

And the 290 is the biggest selling saw im Stihl's history so you get economies of scale to keep the price down. I've always liked 029/290's but many here think they are too heavy. Uncork the muffler on one and I'm sure it will outperform the 270 but it doesn't sound like you're interested in a race saw. Just buy whatever you like and cut wood.

I own a MS290, and although it's a great firewood saw, it's a tad heavy. If I were you, I'd go for the MS280. Same as the 270, but a little more power? Anyways, the 270/280 are a tad lighter, and are VERY smooth- They have a better AV system and are a little easier on the hands.

Justin

I as well own an Ms290 and would probably suggest getting the new 027-8models The 029 is heavy, but besides that it is just an older more outdated design. and hard to work on. Maybe the new ones would be better.

I own a 270 and my buddy has a 290. Everyone who tries our saws likes mine better because of the antivibe and lighter, a bit more comfortable 290 is a nice saw a little more power but i like the 270

pinus said:
MS270 has pro construction, thats makes price. ;)
Have MS270 and like this saw, very good antivibe, smooth runing and well balanced, very good engine acceleration, the same power as MS260.

Not quite. It isn't a true pro model construction when you compare it to other pro model saws, such as a MS 361. It is better than a 290 for construction and design, but is definitely less than a 361, 440, etc, or a pro model Husky saw. It is a definite improvement in quality as a homeowner/firewood saw, but calling it a pro saw isn't quite right.

TimberPig said:
Not quite. It isn't a true pro model construction when you compare it to other pro model saws, such as a MS 361. It is better than a 290 for construction and design, but is definitely less than a 361, 440, etc, or a pro model Husky saw. It is a definite improvement in quality as a homeowner/firewood saw, but calling it a pro saw isn't quite right.
I cant agree with you on this.
Pro is not defined anywere as the saw with vertically splited cranckase or something that. :confused:
I posted here not a long time ago Sthihls person info about MS270/280 where he says that MS270/280 were designed as the pro saws for replacement 024/026 saws but 024/026 were kept in production due their popularity ;)

Yes, they were designed as a cheaper to produce, lower quality design, that was intended to cost them less to build, but sell for a similar price to a better designed pro saw. The idea was to have a lower cost of production, but sell it for the same amount, thus making them more money. You may have bought into it, but most others see through it. It is not the equal of an 026 from a crankcase design standpoint, and never will be. It does have a couple improvements in the air filter and anti-vibe, although the soft springs could be improved. Evidently, the fact that they are still producing the MS 260, instead of phasing it out in favor of the 270, tells that their new design hasn't impressed many other than you. If you like your saw, then I'm glad you are happy with it, but the horizontally split case doesn't impress me, and makes me feel it is less well designed than a true pro saw should be.

Timberpig, I think you are as close to the true story of the MS270 as we will ever come on this forum. The 270 was meant to be a pro saw, but it was not accepted by the market as such - sort of a test flight that went partly wrong. I think the weight issue also was a part of the reason, in addition to what you mentioned. It is already withdrawn from the market here, in spite of a massive marketing effort initially. The 280 is still with us though.

That aside, they obviously are much nicer saws than the 290.

In my mind battle between the 270 and 290 is won by a wide margin by the MS280! :buttkick: :D
It weights as the 270, has more power, and as far as I know it is available without the :censored: :angry2: QCA feature.

TimberPig, I respect some conservatism from you to new solutions. Future will sow what happens with MS270/280, but this will not take down the pro construction done by Stihl (strong cranck-bearings-etc). We cant define pro saw (tool) in the way that pro saw (tool) is the one what is used by pros, because pros are using a lot of nonpro stuff too :(
SawTroll, the Norway Stihls WWW lists MS270 there too available. May be only your dealer is not keeping it on the store?
Basically MS270 and MS280 are identical by construction, so both should be pro ones :)

The 270 wouldn't be bad but I think the husky 353 is a better deal $340 from alamia.com it weighs less,low vib, nk setup, good air filtration. I recently purchase a 359 and I havent run on of the newer huskys, Frankly I am quite impressed by how clean the air filter does stay, I like stihls but I think the 353 is a better deal

Lucky

lucky001 said:
The 270 wouldn't be bad but I think the husky 353 is a better deal .... ..... I like stihls but I think the 353 is a better deal
Lucky
So do I!
....but of course it depends on Stihls and Huskys price policy on the different markets.

pinus said:
SawTroll, the Norway Stihls WWW lists MS270 there too available. May be only your dealer is not keeping it on the store?
Yes, it is on the website and in the catalog too, but the catalog clearly states not sold in Norway (in Norwegian of course). It is not mentioned at all in their price list.

By the way, the same is the case with the MS361C and some other models, including the MS280 variant with the :angry2: QSS chain brake. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back