MS280 Spittin Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adimice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
10 year old, lots of hours. Spittin spark plugs, I tried a heli coil, NG, didn't hold.Chinny cylinder kit $100, shop...200+. I don't know if it's worth fixin. Any thoughts, would help. Thanks

Thats a tough call if your paying for labor. I like the 270/280 saws but if it has served you well, maybe take that 300 and put it toward a new saw. Its possible a thread repair insert could save that cylinder but it should be removed from the saw to do it. I would attempt repairing the originial cylinder again before using an aftermarket cylinder.

l agree, unless you are able to install the cylinder yourself saving the shop rate cost, you are better off parting out the old saw and buying new/used. If you spent the $300 fixing the ms280 at the end you would have a chinese component saw with high hour other components which may be good or not so. There is a reason the original cylinder lasted as long as it did, chinese cylinders are a gamble. Install it yourself and its a 100 dollar gamble not 300.

As mentioned, it depends on whether or not you are the one doing the labor.

Here is a chinese cylinder & piston set on auction for $40 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Pi...614878?hash=item5b2dee48de:g:hNQAAOSwNSxVDvgB

There are others on ebay for about $10 more with a buy it now feature. As mentioned it can be a crap shoot for quality but it has been significantly improving over the years. Carb kits are only like $3 so might want to order one of those too. Anyway, that's what I'd order if I were going to do the work myself, otherwise as mentioned trading it in for something newer is about the only practical way to go.

Have you looked into the possibility of a " Timesert " or a solid "Helicoil" or getting the plug hole filled with alloy weld & re tapping before consigning it to the scrap pile.

I agree with you guys about putting the 300 towards a new one, and I did just that,and got a new stihl 261C. Great saw, between it and my 361, there's not much I can't handle. Thanks for your input!

Back