Ms290 12,800 rpm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally opened up the muffler today and set it at 12,800. I can't tell much difference besides it is louder. Throttle response might be a hair better. How much higher in RPM can I take her and still be safe?

I ran it a little today and still am amazed how bad a$$ my new 261 is. You guys have really screwed me by getting me into the more expensive pro saws ;)

Have no idea on your RPMs, dont even own a saw tach, but I've noticed besides louder, muffler mods just show up in the cut, you can't tell just revving it up. How much more out is your H screw now, 1/8th turn, something like that? Revs are revs, torque gets the wood cut.

Have no idea on your RPMs, dont even own a saw tach, but I've noticed besides louder, muffler mods just show up in the cut, you can't tell just revving it up. How much more out is your H screw now, 1/8th turn, something like that? Revs are revs, torque gets the wood cut.
I had a 18" log that I was getting the saw warmed up on and testing RPM's right after coming off a cut.

Sure, it had more power, but it didn't seem like the way I've read some people rave about on here.

Maybe I was just expecting too much after reading people rave about it on here.

Specs are max 12.500 - so 12.800 may be a bit lean, which is natural with a modded muffler. This basically means that you should richen the carb a bit on the "H" side, but maybe not if it still "fourstrokes" at WOT out of wood.....

If you have a tach set it at 13,250 and let it cut wood. After getting your 261 broke in (15 tanks or so) pull the limiters and fatten it up to 13,850 down from the 14,300 and it is a whole lot meaner.

If you have a tach set it at 13,250 and let it cut wood. After getting your 261 broke in (15 tanks or so) pull the limiters and fatten it up to 13,850 down from the 14,300 and it is a whole lot meaner.

I will see what the 261 does as I run it more. I set the tach on it today and it was dead on 13,800.

Wasn't this about MS290 rpms?

MS261 ones are of course a totally different story......

Back