Ms290 346xp cs2159 thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydplrs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, let me start by saying I only have 1 tree on my lot, and it’s about 2” in diameter. I don’t need a chainsaw by any means but they are fun. I find ways to help friends and family to use mine. I have an original husky 346xp with the 45cc(?) engine. I also picked up a very low hour stihl ms-290. After getting stuck once I really like having 2 saws when I use them.

That said a friend offered a Jonsered cs2159 at a pretty good price trying to hoard cash during the current insanity. My budget won’t let me keep 3, so one would go if I got it. From the specs it appears to have a tiny bit more power then the ms-290, at a slightly lighter weight.

My question is it enough difference to make a difference, or should I just stick with my current pair? I’m pretty sure I could sell the ms-290 in a reasonable time to cover the cost of switching and maybe pocket a few dollars.

Yep, sell the Stihl. Guys go nuts about those farm bosses, so it'll be easy to sell. When you get the 2159 (which is a red 359) you'll have two saws that you can get parts from the same place. Also, the bars are interchangeable (must also match chains and sprockets).

Of the two saws you have which do you like better? The 359 is almost the same platform only slightly larger and its feel is similiar to a 346 just a larger displacement. I believe it is open port though and not as snappy. Being able to switch bars and chains is handy and might be the deal maker, if the price is right. Not a lot of love for the 290 but they are good saws for what they are. Used parts are everywhere for it also. Not the case for a 359 of either color. Not sure what it is like where you are but jonsereds are not on peoples radar. Even though they are the same as husqvarna's version

I use the 346xp the most, it cuts as well or better then the ms290, and it lighter. I spent a lot of time looking for a good one at a good price. I got it for $90 from an unknowing seller. The had inherited that and a husky 61, and posted them both for $90 to buy a motorcycle tire. (I’ll take the small one [emoji2958]).

Jonsered are not as popular around here, but I am aware they use nearly identical designs, and are produced in a split factory in Sweden. It’s been a while since I did a lot of research but there were slight differences in most models from husky. Better cylinder linings, slightly higher compression pistons, and they tended to weigh a couple ounces more then the orange equivalent. I had been hoping to add a 357xp or ms-361 when the 290 landed in my garage. I’m not sure how the 2159/359 had not made it on my radar, but the power to weight is good by the specs. I’ll try to grab the 2159.

Thank you everyone

I didn’t end up getting the 2159, the seller didn’t mention he had a line, and just strung it out for a couple days. I have looked at the adds for a few and wished. I almost went to get one today, but then I saw this one a couple miles closer for the same price.

096dd56b01e4fff0723003279fb0d2d0.jpg

Man does that rip, you think it’s cutting nice, then it really gets into its power band.

Send the 290 to the curb...
I really like my 346XP and it would be one of the last saws I would part with out of my 30+ saws.

That is my plan. It will be nice having a big saw that’s actually more saw and not just a heavy backup.

Back