MS290/390 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravedigger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm putting together a Baileys 390 motor in my ms290 .

Need to get longer bar.
considering:
T204FV4 for 24" .375 .050

or this bar with a skip chisel chain.
T241FV4 for 28" .375 .050

The longer bar will only be used for noodling and when a 18 won't do.This saw is going to be a backup to my ms261 w 18". I also have the original 18 bar that came with saw when need for back up.

Need to get longer bar.
considering:

The longer bar will only be used for noodling and when a 18 won't do.This saw is going to be a backup to my ms261 w 18". I also have the original 18 bar that came with saw when need for back up.

Unless you're going to do a muffler mod, a 20" will work just fine. You can run the 24" but I doubt it is going to have the authority you may be looking for. (Perhaps some will disagree...that's ok). Then again it depends on the wood you're going to be noodling, if we're talking soft woods, you'd be fine with the 24", but if you're talking hardwood rounds I'm afraid you may be disappointed. In my opinion, I'd buy a 20" bar and let it roll, it will be easier to handle and you'll be much more pleased. By the way, are you cutting your rounds to lengths beyond 20 inches?

Will MM'ed. Noodling will be lenghwise on 16-18 long rounds. Want to keep bar clear alittle so noodles can drop before getting back to powerhead. Wood stove will only handle 16 in logs on bottom and 18 on top so I try to keep to 16in.

Will MM'ed. Noodling will be lenghwise on 16-18 long rounds. Want to keep bar clear alittle so noodles can drop before getting back to powerhead. Wood stove will only handle 16 in logs on bottom and 18 on top so I try to keep to 16in.

They don't drop until they change direction and the chain going around the rim sprocket causes that to happen.... you'd need 3' for that to potentially work based on them slowing down by air speed.

Need to get longer bar.
considering:

Unless you're going to do a muffler mod, a 20" will work just fine. You can run the 24" but I doubt it is going to have the authority you may be looking for. (Perhaps some will disagree...that's ok). Then again it depends on the wood you're going to be noodling, if we're talking soft woods, you'd be fine with the 24", but if you're talking hardwood rounds I'm afraid you may be disappointed. In my opinion, I'd buy a 20" bar and let it roll, it will be easier to handle and you'll be much more pleased. By the way, are you cutting your rounds to lengths beyond 20 inches?

Here is same as what your doing but im in the PNW

IMAG0038a_zps14fb2664.jpg

28" b/c I've tried it im using the next size down b/c with RSLHK chain

I havent tried the Baileys 390 kits but a stock 390 with an MM will pull a 24 in hardwood so long as you dont try to crowd it. Also a stock 290 with an MM will pull a 20 in hardwood if you dont crowd it. The oiler will be the limiting factor as it is just barely enough for the 20. As for noodling if the bar will clear the end of the block its long enough. Some wood will jamb the cover and some wont its just trial and error. If you need the 24 on ocassion is might be worth the investment but a 20 will give better service for overall use.

Did the OP make a choice yet. Lots of folks have chimed in. Some variables have been added and modifications suggested. More criteria has been put out to make a wise choice. (Actually I ran my 044 today with a 32" bar and I got to say, jumping jeepers "I love this thang!" :laugh:). Carry on men! :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back