ms290 has me puzzled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a "new" engine but pretty sure it was rebuilt piece I know it was a oem piston and jug not sure on the rest
Bro..I hope you won't take this wrongly..as I certainly don't mean it that way..!!

If you were to bring that saw into my shop..AND...disclosed everything I now know...

I would simply tell you to to take it to someone else for your repair..

Too many variables..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Bro..I hope you won't take this wrongly..as I certainly don't mean it that way..!!

If you were to bring that saw into my shop..AND...disclosed everything I now know...

I would simply tell you to to take it to someone else for your repair..

Too many variables..!!
:cheers:
J2F

ahh before I paid someone the money a shop would charge I'd sell it for a hudo (what non running 290's go for in my area on c list if not more) and take another 100 or so and put it twords a 260 or a husky 51/55

but what makes no sense to me is it was a perfectly and strong running saw for several hours of use. I would understand if it ran like crap and it died but it was dead on

When you put the flywheel on your "new" engine, did you make sure the keyway was still attached to the flywheel? Also, did you torque the nut down?

Loose flywheel=stripped keyway= spark but at the wrong time.

yea the key was there and yes it was touqed down to whatever spec was

ok "unflooded" the saw no dice so I dug a little deeper I popped the recoil off timing is on, key is intact. so just for the hell of it I turned the flywheel by hand, I think its toast when your approaching tdc you can hear the pressure bleeding off through the intake (I think) but if you turn it real slow, not super slow motion but slow, it does not build any compression I'll verify with a gauge when i can get one but in comparison to the other saw I had laying nearby it aint got nothin

now do I tear this thing apart, could just be a ring since it still looks good inside, or who knows what. always liked the husky 51/55 ran one once a few years ago and was very impressed maybe I'll give one of those a try

???????
are'nt you the same guy that was telling about your tree service a few weeks ago that your biggest/best saw was your 290 ????

your screen name changed since then ????

just askin ??

Mine was doing this, i eventually cleaned the carb and it took care of it. Hope this helps.

???????
are'nt you the same guy that was telling about your tree service a few weeks ago that your biggest/best saw was your 290 ????

your screen name changed since then ????

just askin ??

umm no

but I actually do have a little part time tree thing going on but the 290 generally does not come with, I used it for my biz maybe 2-3 times I had it out for the ground guy once because the normal ground saw was down and then I had it up the tree with me once blocking down a small silver maple maybe 10 cuts other then that it was just the casual firewood saw for personal firewood

I go up to 32" in my arsenal

Maybe something old in the fuel tank coulda plugged the fuel filter, lines, or carb. Especially on a used saw, anything's possible.

Maybe something old in the fuel tank coulda plugged the fuel filter, lines, or carb. Especially on a used saw, anything's possible.

when I rebuilt the saw I replaced the fuel line and filter and I have only run maybe 2 gallons thru it plus I think the guy who had it before me straight gassed it on one of the first few tanks thing was like brand new when I got it but it does get gas up into the motor (plug gets soaked after a bit of trying to start itm, is noticible by smell to out the muffler too

Did you make sure the metering lever was set properly on the carb. Another carb kit will not fix the problem if its pulling too much fuel. It will flood it and cause it not to pop.

There is no good way to check spark on this series of saws. It's hard because of the plastic case. I usually pull the air filter off and see if you can get the plug to lay against the carb studs.

My just rebuilt 039 just started acting up. Popped a few times then nothing. Would run, but barely enough to get the chain to spin. Acted fuel starved. Had good spark, 125psi compression and getting plenty of fuel. Ended up being what some have suggested on this site is the problem with your 029. The dang flywheel key slipped because I failed to tighten it enough. This would be the same flywheel I just received to replace the one it came with (broken fins).

Dealer friend put flywheel in his vice and filed a small indent with a roundtail file in it to replace where the "key" broke off. Then cut off a short piece of a soft metal nail. Replaced the flywheel on the crankshaft and tapped the piece of nail into the slot where the key was, then tightened the flywheel nut in place. Worked like a charm! This fix will work until I can locate another used 029/310/039 flywheel.

Did you make sure the metering lever was set properly on the carb. Another carb kit will not fix the problem if its pulling too much fuel. It will flood it and cause it not to pop.

There is no good way to check spark on this series of saws. It's hard because of the plastic case. I usually pull the air filter off and see if you can get the plug to lay against the carb studs.

yup metering lever is good

about the only thing left is new coil or new engine and new engine is not gonna happen so maybe I'll just grab a coil from somewhere and see what happens from my experience with automotive coils I figure its worth a shot sometimes you have spark and can see it but it still aint enough to get the engine to fire because it gets "blown out" cause its weak

My just rebuilt 039 just started acting up. Popped a few times then nothing. Would run, but barely enough to get the chain to spin. Acted fuel starved. Had good spark, 125psi compression and getting plenty of fuel. Ended up being what some have suggested on this site is the problem with your 029. The dang flywheel key slipped because I failed to tighten it enough. This would be the same flywheel I just received to replace the one it came with (broken fins).

Dealer friend put flywheel in his vice and filed a small indent with a roundtail file in it to replace where the "key" broke off. Then cut off a short piece of a soft metal nail. Replaced the flywheel on the crankshaft and tapped the piece of nail into the slot where the key was, then tightened the flywheel nut in place. Worked like a charm! This fix will work until I can locate another used 029/310/039 flywheel.

I wish it was so simple for me but I pulled the flywheel off and the key was still intact and it was tourqed down

Good suggestion on the flywheel key. I have many of these saws that have broken keyways on them. I just line up the marks and tighten the nut down. If the nut is tight the flywheel will not move.

Latest posts

Back