ms290 power up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbdropshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a new saw to get somemore power, but I think i'm going to save my money, and maybe try to get more power out of the one I got. I have a ms290 with 16" bar .325 chain 7pin sprocket. Thinking about a muff job, so if i put a 8 pin sprocket with that muff job would that get me the most cutting speed out of that saw. I cut oak firewood.

I was thinking about buying a new saw to get somemore power, but I think i'm going to save my money, and maybe try to get more power out of the one I got. I have a ms290 with 16" bar .325 chain 7pin sprocket. Thinking about a muff job, so if i put a 8 pin sprocket with that muff job would that get me the most cutting speed out of that saw. I cut oak firewood.

Welcome to the site. I would continue to stick with a 7 pin on that size saw if it were me. A good healthy muff mod, tuning and sharp chain should get you a noticeable increase though.

I run an 8 pin rim on my ms390 with a 20" bar

If you had a rim sprocket it would be easy and cheap to find out but they don't come with rim sprockets....you might get away with it with a good muff mod and a good tune and SHARP chain. I sure would try it... this coming from a guy who runs a 28" bar with FULL comp chain....on a 390!!!!

It's got decent power with the 16" bar, so that's not too much of a problem, i would think if i was to muff mod it, it might have about the same power with the 8 pin as it did with the 7 pin stock. Is 10% increase pretty easy to get? Is the stihl rsc the fastest cutting chain, i'll be cutting green oak, i don't know what people consider dirty wood, but i think live oak would be fairly clean. I saw someone say a .325 8 pin is the same size as 3/8 7pin and they use them with a bigger bar and say they cut good, is there version of cutting good different than some of us.

So your going to muff mod it to gain 10% then put a 8 pin on it to lose 10%? The only way to really find out is to try both side by side in wood you normally cut, if your cutting 15" hardwood a lot use that, if your cutting 4" softwood use that. Steve

That's proboably what i'm going to end up doing, have someone time me with it the way it is, then with the muff mod, then with a 8 pin rim. I don't know anything about how much power you lose with a 8pin over 7pin, but i figured if it gained much i could put the 8pin on and gain chain speed, i guess that extra chain speed would inturn bog it down easier since the teeth are cutting that much more.

Went to pick up my new sprocket today and they sent a 8pin instead of 7 pin, he said they didn't make a 7 pin for that saw anymore, so i went ahead and took it home took the old one off and come to find out the saw came with a 8 pin, i thought it was a 7 pin, my bad, so looks like i would be going to a 9 pin if i wanted to gear it up from what it was stock.

Back