Ms290 why do so many hate it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that a 360 is a great saw but it's also a pro saw and at least 200 more for a used one
If you would want to replace the MS290 a better replacement would be an MS260. I sold my 290 for $275 and bought the 260 for $160, it needed a few minor things but it cuts quite a bit faster through a log and its lighter. You just have to keep watching craigslist, check the compression and overall condition of the saw. A lot of people just want the "Farm Boss" so they are easy to sell. 360s are expensive but they are a much more powerful saw than either a 260 or 290. I'm hunting for one.

Ya, this here too. Checking out used, 290s seem to be at least as much as 036/360s are. Can't explain that one. I got my 360 used about 3 years ago. Got it at a good price, and it sure looked well used - no illusions there - but it has worked great for me. I just put a new slightly bigger B&C on it as soon as I got it, and it's been solid. Except the stupid air filter cover sometimes doesn't want to stay on - the little lever holder thingie has some slop in it.

But I would also consider a used 290 - if one showed at a decent price.

My MS310 had the 'loose cover' problem from day 1 also. Finally got to the point I had to buy a new cover for it.

In nearly 40 years of chainsaw runnin (I started young) have only had one saw with inboard clutch, a Husq 372xp.
Much prefer outboard, but neither is wrong...

Up until you have a saw jammed and can't pull the power head due to that outboard clutch! That is why I am straight Stihl. I cut enough wood every year that I will have to drop the powerhead at least once and use another saw to free up the bar.

If you would want to replace the MS290 a better replacement would be an MS260. I sold my 290 for $275 and bought the 260 for $160, it needed a few minor things but it cuts quite a bit faster through a log and its lighter. You just have to keep watching craigslist, check the compression and overall condition of the saw. A lot of people just want the "Farm Boss" so they are easy to sell. 360s are expensive but they are a much more powerful saw than either a 260 or 290. I'm hunting for one.

You figured me out I wanted to be a farm boss not a rancher. It sounds cooler lol

Everybody goes thru this process. It's a boiling frog thing. As a chain slowly goes dull, the expectations decrease, till finally the entire saw is a just a POS and becomes a dust collector. Only when you start to cut for a living (to stay alive/warm), do you think hard about what is going on and seek solutions.

Yup, I agree.

A bad saw with a sharp chain is better than a pro saw with a bad chain.

Around here people think the 290 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My dad has a 260, I always thought it was kind of a turd. Especially compared to my 550! lol

Yup, same here. There are a LOT of MS290s around here and the new MS291s are way overpriced for what they are compared to other available saws.

My first saw is an 028 Super I bought in 1990. It has been a good saw. Even though it didn't need rebuilding it was and ported at the same time. Real strong now.

xq9uvk.jpg

However the orange one is much BETTER.:numberone:

34zlf5x.jpg

lets see where does the hate start ?? overweight, un-derpowered, overpriced , box store non pro special, homeowner grade, and worst of all a clam-shell!

i had one a few years ago for a firewood saw . when the cylinder finally toasted i can't say i was in any hurry to fix it or run out and buy another one.

the worst thing about 290s is people think cause their sold by stihl -- somehow their better than everything else-- most are outsourced-- i don't think i have ever seen a german made 290 --

everybody hates husky ranchers too -- and the 290 is neck and neck with it--

i sort of wish i hadn't thrown my 290 super in the scrap metal bin -- i could have got one of those china made hutzl shortblocks for it-- might have been an improvement--

a 290 is good enough -- like the husky rancher -- IF you don't demand much from a saw-- if you have ran say 044s for years a 290 is a big big letdown --

I was given one and i'll agree they are heavy, especially when you have to carry one across a field. but, it does cut nice.

at the golf course where I've been cutting/dropping they own 6 of them and i'm slowly repairing them because of abuse.

what I noticed is that they all have an 8 tooth drive gear. I read in the chainsaw forum the difference between an 8 tooth versus a 7 tooth. i'm going to talk the owner into replacing them to a 7 tooth.

this guy has 5 290's, one 025 and one 250. I got the 025 running real good and the 250 will be running Monday. today i'll grab the other 290's on the shelf and go thru them. what i'm finding is the clutch bearing are all shot and the worm gears are shot. maybe just from abuse or poor design. (?)

I didn't think it was a bad saw, just heavy.

Yup, same here. There are a LOT of MS290s around here and the new MS291s are way overpriced for what they are compared to other available saws.

My first saw is an 028 Super I bought in 1990. It has been a good saw. Even though it didn't need rebuilding it was and ported at the same time. Real strong now.

xq9uvk.jpg

34zlf5x.jpg
Great combination. Stihl was heavily criticized when they dropped the 028 Super WoodBoss and yet kept the 290 that had already been "upgraded" from the 029. What you ended up with was a heavier saw with the same or less power and a clamshell design that is tougher to work on. So, I bought three used 028's and have never regretted that.

Then a friend convinced me to try a Husky 350 and a newer 353. Now I'm hooked on them and actually like them better than the stronger 346XP because neither the 353 or 350 have a primer bulb to mess with. These bulbs tend to be more trouble than they are worth. Regardless, if I had seen a reasonably priced 346XP instead, I would probably have bought it.

Great combination. Stihl was heavily criticized when they dropped the 028 Super WoodBoss and yet kept the 290 that had already been "upgraded" from the 029. What you ended up with was a heavier saw with the same or less power and a clamshell design that is tougher to work on. So, I bought three used 028's and have never regretted that.

Then a friend convinced me to try a Husky 350 and a newer 353. Now I'm hooked on them and actually like them better than the stronger 346XP because neither the 353 or 350 have a primer bulb to mess with. These bulbs tend to be more trouble than they are worth. Regardless, if I had seen a reasonably priced 346XP instead, I would probably have bought it.
The older 346s' have no bulb, but the bulb on the newer ones is not a problem at all.

xq9uvk.jpg

34zlf5x.jpg
There is no comparison between the 028 FarmBoss and the 029/290 bucket of festering puss.
The 028 Super FB would be on the top 5 50cc consumer saws built list. . . I read a while back that Pontoon Monthly Magazine voted the Stihl 029 FarmBoss with a 20" safety chain the number 1 boat anchor 10 years running. That it's weight and large toaster shape made it excellent for anchoring in muck and hard packed sand.
The only negative noted is it's tendency to leak all it's oil out.
Anyone selling their 029 290 291 might reference the Pontoon Monthly article......can only increase it's marketability.

There is no comparison between the 028 FarmBoss and the 029/290 bucket of festering puss.

Thanks for the laugh, now I have to clean coffee off the screen.:mad:

Nobody has even brought up the G@d D@mm*d Flippy Caps.:numberone: Stihl's answer to something that was not a problem.

Heck Husky flippy caps will fit a 20 year old saw and if you don't like them, you can put in a regular conventional.

aljcc2.jpg

I love 290s...they make my 29 year old stock 028 super look like a really good investment when guys want to "race."

I bought a ms290 for a $100 a few years back all beat up, put up a post for junk ms290's not running got 2 crap 290's for 50 bucks. took parts from them to fix the one I paid 100$ for. Saw is a good saw, not overly powerful but nice for felling and working in the woods, limbing after the tree is down, I run a 16'' bar and it has no trouble chewing wood. I also have a ms440, its nice weight for its power, actually it weighs almost the same as the ms290 and beats it by 20cc or close to It (its early morning ugh COFFEE!!!!) The 440 is nice.. Also got a husky 385xp that's the power house for bucking/firewood. I find the vibration system on husky is a bit better then stihls. but i'm not a "One Brand" guy i'm the kind right tool for the job. I'm not going to go into the woods and fell 8 inch trees with a 440 i'll use the 290, and I'm not going to fell 20 inch trees with a 290 i'll use the 440. Pro saws are better to work on easier I find. but yeah my 290 is always in the truck fueled sharp ready to work and work it does without hesitation, good saw but there are much better lighter saws out there same power

The 029-290 are awesome, non chainsaw guys think they are the best because they say "stihl" on them and you can sell them all day!!

Timing bump and a muffler mod they actually run a little better than warmed over death.

350 is the best homeowner platform ever built. You can put a pro cylinder on it and it is easily disassembled unlike the 029/290... Also if you smash a 350 you are only out 200.00[emoji5]

The 029-290 are awesome, non chainsaw guys think they are the best because they say "stihl" on them and you can sell them all day!! Timing bump and a muffler mod, they actually run a little better than warmed over death.

The Husky 350 is the best homeowner platform ever built. You can put a pro cylinder on it and it is easily disassembled unlike the 029/290... Also if you smash a Husky 350 you are only out $200.00[emoji5]

Just got a Husky 350 in today. Owner said he's done with it because the muffler bolts keep coming loose. I asked how he was tightening them. He said, "Well, they get hot, so I just thumb tighten them and keep on cutting. I don't carry an Allen wrench with me to the field. Thumb tight should work, right?"

The saw has good compression and started without a hitch. Very few hours on it. I said, "Tell you what, I'll give you $180 for it today. He said, "Sold."

I now have a very nice saw that I added to my collection. One of my friends dropped $450 for a new Husky 353 awhile back.

Back