Ms290 why do so many hate it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, this here too. Checking out used, 290s seem to be at least as much as 036/360s are. Can't explain that one. I got my 360 used about 3 years ago. Got it at a good price, and it sure looked well used - no illusions there - but it has worked great for me. I just put a new slightly bigger B&C on it as soon as I got it, and it's been solid. Except the stupid air filter cover sometimes doesn't want to stay on - the little lever holder thingie has some slop in it.

But I would also consider a used 290 - if one showed at a decent price.
Most any part needed can be found at Huztl.com. The air filter cover with the "holder thingie" knob is $2.59 +s or the knob alone is 44 cents +s.

People hate on the Ms290 series because they are a giant PITA to work on comparatively to say a husky 55/61... saws used to be and some still are really easy to work on for exchanging parts and regular maintenance... the guys that have to repair them don't want to spend 30mins on break down and cleaning to get to the cylinder is what it comes down to. Also they are a little big for their power in the 029/290 line. Speaking of which there will be a new 49mm AM kit out soon with a pop up piston built in for more power... [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A 290 becomes a 390 for $15.46 +s and some sealant.

My brother bought a MS290 in 2005, used it for 6 years, cut a lot of wood, but had problems with the saw. In 2011 I gave him an older husky 353 & he has not picked up to Stihl since. He loves that little Husky & now has a 359 for his large saw. :D

Just as some saws are loveable, some saws are hate able. Got some of both.

I was given one and i'll agree they are heavy, especially when you have to carry one across a field. but, it does cut nice.

at the golf course where I've been cutting/dropping they own 6 of them and i'm slowly repairing them because of abuse.

what I noticed is that they all have an 8 tooth drive gear. I read in the chainsaw forum the difference between an 8 tooth versus a 7 tooth. i'm going to talk the owner into replacing them to a 7 tooth.

this guy has 5 290's, one 025 and one 250. I got the 025 running real good and the 250 will be running Monday. today i'll grab the other 290's on the shelf and go thru them. what i'm finding is the clutch bearing are all shot and the worm gears are shot. maybe just from abuse or poor design. (?)

I didn't think it was a bad saw, just heavy.
Likely never lubed since day 1

I ran my 290 yesterday for the first time in about 8 months just to have some real world input on this thread. It was my first "real" saw and so I hang on to it for sentimental reasons, but it never gets used. It is heavy for the power it makes. My beat-to-hell 361 that cost me $150, a drive to SC, and a spark plug boot will cut rings around it and is much lighter and better balanced with a Stihl 20" ES bar vs. the 290 with 20" Forester bar. 290" balance sucks- could barely get it to flip for limbing (sometimes I limb with a 441 so I'm not too weak, just that the balance sucks). More vibration. And hard to work on- I have rebuild several saws from this series and they are much harder to work on than anything but the Stihl top-handle saws. My muffler modded 024WB will out cut the 290, is a pleasure to use due to better weight, balance and less vibe. So my other saws get used and the 290 sits on the shelf.

Can't say I hate the 290 as they are very durable saws, but just not a go-to level saw.

Weesy

I think it is a regional thing. I sell a great many 290's and 291's every spring. They are heavy and they are slower but they have cut a crap load of firewood. They also sell for stupid money at times! The 170, 250, and 290 demand the most $$ in my area. There is really no competition here from Husqvarna, Echo, Dolmar, Solo, and alike. Just no dealer presence. I get people that have ran 029's for the longest time and do not hesitate to get a 290 at the drop of a hat. Are there better saws yes.. if you get one at a good price they are hard to beat.

A 290 becomes a 390 for $15.46 +s and some sealant.
Well now, isn't that something special to look forward to. . . for $15.46 cents one can have a 039/390. What does that include some new stickers and a baggie of cat turds to add some additional weight? Hefty Hefty Hefty!!! POS TUR D!

while your shopping farmertec/hudzl looking for parts to hop-up this 290 slug-- have a look at their 361, 440 kits at least their worth the labor--

Well now, isn't that something special to look forward to. . . for $15.46 cents one can have a 039/390. What does that include some new stickers and a baggie of cat turds to add some additional weight? Hefty Hefty Hefty!!! POS TUR D!

Haha if the hyway cylinder kit I ordered comes with cat turds I'm sending it back and throwing my pile of parts and hours of my time in the garbage. I already own the saw might as well make the best of it plus I like it. In the future I'd like a 440 or 460.

Well, we are all poking fun here at the 290. I must admit that I converted one with a blown engine to a 390 and found out that my 361 could still beat the pants off of it and weigh a pound less while doing it. But, for a farm saw and guys with lots of strength to throw it around, the 290 seems to be staying alive. We slam it left and right, but it keeps on selling.

Hope that includes some sealant curing time while you are off doing other things.
Yep, I let mine sit overnight, mainly because I'm so tired after rebuilding a 290 engine that I don't even have the strength to try and start it. The next day I can usually muster up enough courage to pull the starter cord.

I sold an 028 Super today that was sitting right next to a 290 with 18" bars on both. I asked the same price for them but the new owner said, "The 028 looks better built, it's a bit lighter, less bulky looking, and the engine is about the same size. Does anyone know why I cannot buy a brand new 028 Super today?"

I said, "Nope, not that I know of. Stihl doesn't seem to want to talk about it."

I love my 290 it's better than my other saws. I'm not a professional wood cutter just a wood burner. I'm slowly looking for a blown up one to build a 390. I have never read anything good about these saws from reviews except from people who own them. What's so bad about them for a home owner saw?

Thats my go to saw.

I'm still splitting wood by hand and cutting by myself so I guess I don't notice the extra weight.

I have the MS310 which is a good saw but homeowner grade, Also a 361. I can pick up both saws and tell which is the 310 just by the difference in weight even with the 361 wearing a 4" longer bar. Still use it. It has cut hundreds of cords of wood prior to the 361 coming into the stable and is still one of my go-tos for stuff needing only a short bar (it wears a 16" or 18"), 361 usually 25"

Yep, I let mine sit overnight, mainly because I'm so tired after rebuilding a 290 engine that I don't even have the strength to try and start it. The next day I can usually muster up enough courage to pull the starter cord.

I sold an 028 Super today that was sitting right next to a 290 with 18" bars on both. I asked the same price for them but the new owner said, "The 028 looks better built, it's a bit lighter, less bulky looking, and the engine is about the same size. Does anyone know why I cannot buy a brand new 028 Super today?"

I said, "Nope, not that I know of. Stihl doesn't seem to want to talk about it."

The break came when the MS series came out. They went from saws with torque to saws with speed. The MS series will outcut any comparable size saw from the "0xx" days. You can't 'ride' the MS ones like you could the older series but keep a sharp chain on them and they are far and away superior.

Back