MS291 Waste

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70Frank

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all been awhile since I've been here.
I am an Old Homelite (SXL's and a few others) guy but about 2 yrs ago bought a M291 I think it is, it's in my saw cabinet rarely getting used. My SXL's will cut circles around it still. BUT it is lighter and less vibration as ya get into your 60's with health issues.
Anyway when I picked it up it ran a little rough and I was told that's normal and give a few tanks of gas and it may need adjusting. So as I rarely use it because it now stalls at idle I did take it back, here is their quote and you can tell me if I was BSed.

"That's a California saw and WE can not legally adjust the carb" They proceeded to give me instructions and the tools to do it. This saw had a few tanks thru it and brand new and they won't adjust it?
REALLY $500.00 and they will not adjust the carb???? I am in Western NC!

Hi all been awhile since I've been here.
I am an Old Homelite (SXL's and a few others) guy but about 2 yrs ago bought a M291 I think it is, it's in my saw cabinet rarely getting used. My SXL's will cut circles around it still. BUT it is lighter and less vibration as ya get into your 60's with health issues.
Anyway when I picked it up it ran a little rough and I was told that's normal and give a few tanks of gas and it may need adjusting. So as I rarely use it because it now stalls at idle I did take it back, here is their quote and you can tell me if I was BSed.

"That's a California saw and WE can not legally adjust the carb" They proceeded to give me instructions and the tools to do it. This saw had a few tanks thru it and brand new and they won't adjust it?
REALLY $500.00 and they will not adjust the carb???? I am in Western NC!
Oh and the stupid little door/slide for winter summer keeps falling off the saw, is it even necessary?

There have been lots of 291 complaints here. Most of them have centered around the inability to upgrade to a 311 or 391 because the parts don't match up. Most 290 parts don't fit it either. I was considering an upgrade for a customer and the dealer said, "Forget it because the parts are way overpriced." Practically no AM parts are avilable for it. So, this saw is fine when it runs but not when it stops. It's resting in my boneyard just in case its remaining working parts can be salvaged to repair another one.

There have been lots of 291 complaints here. Most of them have centered around the inability to upgrade to a 311 or 391 because the parts don't match up. Most 290 parts don't fit it either. I was considering an upgrade for a customer and the dealer said, "Forget it because the parts are way overpriced." Practically no AM parts are avilable for it. So, this saw is fine when it runs but not when it stops. It's resting in my boneyard just in case its remaining working parts can be salvaged to repair another one.
Yep, I'm not nearly the fan of the 291 family of saws that I was of the 290..

OK Back again. LOL
I dug the saw out today, hate seeing so much money sitting in a box in my cabinet.
With all my Homelite's I have Oregon full-chisel chains on them.
Could I do the same with the MS291? Right size of course because the manual says something about oilomatic chains. Is there a difference?

I run Oregon EXL chains on several of my saws. Nice and sharp, right out of the box. You could run one on your 290 (or is it 291?). I just picked up a few loops for twenty bucks a pop on Amazon and they shipped from a small mom&pop store down South - so I still support small business.

I run Oregon EXL chains on several of my saws. Nice and sharp, right out of the box. You could run one on your 290 (or is it 291?). I just picked up a few loops for twenty bucks a pop on Amazon and they shipped from a small mom&pop store down South - so I still support small business.
TY I fixed it's a 291.
I have very good luck with their chains, seem to last and sharpen easy!

Back