MS360 Pro vs. Husqvarna 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys one of my friends just got a new Husky 359 and was wondering if my Stihl MS360 Pro will have any problem out cutting it, both are bone stock, well my 360 Pro has a muffler mod. One other question his is an E-Tech what can be done to the muffler to open it up a bit? Thanks!

Whatcha mean by out cutting it? Are you talking about putting them side by side in a log and see who comes out the bottom first? Is so dang if that shouldn't be a fairly close race. Are ya both using the same length bars and running the same max rpm? Make sure ya both got brand new chains too, ones rigged up by filing away the drags not permitted in Treescar. Everything should be done by the book. This race it gonna be a squeaker. Post the results after the ya run the Oaktree500, I wanna know who won. I have a MS360 so I'll be rooting fa ya. Oooops, I take that back, I got the older model, the 036. The Ms360 is a better saw than the 036 thanks to the larger sprocket bearing. Post back the results of the race....

The 036 is a good saw with plenty of power and speed and even more so after a muffler mod. I've had two of them, I use them for a skidder saw on the job. Looks like I may have to buy a 361 though as my guys ran my 036 over with the log truck today (thats what I get for staying home sick and being nice and letting them work without me):bang: :bang:

Ryan Willock said:
The 036 is a good saw with plenty of power and speed and even more so after a muffler mod. I've had two of them, I use them for a skidder saw on the job. Looks like I may have to buy a 361 though as my guys ran my 036 over with the log truck today (thats what I get for staying home sick and being nice and letting them work without me):bang: :bang:
Ryan if ya liked the 036 your gonna love the MS361, its a smooth running machine and handles great. The old 036's had sprocket bearing problems for awhile. The bearing would fail and get in behind the cultch and tear up pure hell, usually ripping the oil line in half and scaring up the oil pump and housing. They increased the size of that bearing later on and put a bigger plate behind the cultch to protect everything, problem was sloved. Broken clutch springs would get in behind the plate and tear up stuff too, the new plate stopped all that non-sense. The MS361 already has all those goodies installed, its a great saw. Who ya think is gonna win the Oaktree 500??

I think they should cut three cookies with the other guy timing the cuts then switch saws and repeat the process then average the times. This should help remove timing and operator bias ;)

fishhuntcutwood said:
How old? Got a tech note or a S/N for reference? A buddy has an 036 I'm getting ready to rebuild for him.

Lakeside?

Jeff
I think the change was made around 2000 for mine is a 99 model and it has the small sprocket bearing and plate. They make a sprocket kit that includes the larger bearing for all the older small bearing models. When you rebuild just tell your dealer you want the improved sprocket kit for the 036. If he's up to date on his saws he will know exactly what your referring to...

fishhuntcutwood said:
How old? Got a tech note or a S/N for reference? A buddy has an 036 I'm getting ready to rebuild for him.

Lakeside?

Jeff

See attachment.

BTW, the bearing and Drum from an 029 are the same ... and these newer types fit the 034 as well.

rmihalek said:
I think they should cut three cookies with the other guy timing the cuts then switch saws and repeat the process then average the times. This should help remove timing and operator bias ;)
Good idea there. However if ya wanna have some fun racing saws get a pile of logs and pull the top log out about 7-8 ft, thats the piece your gonna race on. Make sure its up about waist high out of the pile. If you know your saw is faster make your man take the end of the log. When your saw goes through the log first it puts the other guy at the end of the log on the ground for he goes down with the log cause his saw is still cutting, trust me its funny to watch. If ya not sure ya gonna win never take the end of the log. When them guys race those two saws I think we should require chaps, gotta have safety involved in Treescar racing don't ya think.

THALL10326 said:
Whatcha mean by out cutting it? Are you talking about putting them side by side in a log and see who comes out the bottom first? Is so dang if that shouldn't be a fairly close race. Are ya both using the same length bars and running the same max rpm? Make sure ya both got brand new chains too, ones rigged up by filing away the drags not permitted in Treescar. Everything should be done by the book. This race it gonna be a squeaker. Post the results after the ya run the Oaktree500, I wanna know who won. I have a MS360 so I'll be rooting fa ya. Oooops, I take that back, I got the older model, the 036. The Ms360 is a better saw than the 036 thanks to the larger sprocket bearing. Post back the results of the race....

If a big bearing will make you feel better go get yourself a 044 clutch drum and bearing, the OD of the crank end is the same. That way, while idling, you'll have like six big rollers rolling instead eight little ones.

whatsnext said:
If a big bearing will make you feel better go get yourself a 044 clutch drum and bearing, the OD of the crank end is the same. That way, while idling, you'll have like six big rollers rolling instead eight little ones.

I think you missed the earlier reply... Stihl went to the big bearing 6 years ago on the 036/360.

StihlBoy440 said:
hey guys one of my friends just got a new Husky 359 and was wondering if my Stihl MS360 Pro will have any problem out cutting it, both are bone stock, well my 360 Pro has a muffler mod. ....

With equal and appropriate cutting attachments your 360 should be faster than a stock 359 in most wood.
The 360 has the edge concerning max power output, and it is available at higher rpm. It also has the edge concerning max torque.

Last edited:
ok so I can outcut him, but after that he will more than likely want to mod it some what can be done to the E-tech muffler can it just be gutted I know nothing about the Husky line it seems to have 2 exhaust ports exiting the muffler though!

you better hope that 360 pulls it out or you will never hear the end of it i promise. but if for some reason it does then yes i will have to mod it to make some more power.

Let the "Oaktree500" begin

MADDOG_359 said:
you better hope that 360 pulls it out or you will never hear the end of it i promise. but if for some reason it does then yes i will have to mod it to make some more power.

Let the "Oaktree500" begin

Ha! Ha! Ha! This is great! Both you guys on here.:blob2:

You both have really good saws. That E-tech 359 is handicapped w/ the e-tech muffler probably more than the 360pro w/ it's factory muffler. And the 359 is probably not broken in yet - how many tanks so far?

Buy identical chains and run 'em then mod both mufflers and run 'em again!

Chaser

cs-3000, 025, ms361, squashed ms440, craftsman 2.3ci (the green chain loaner)

wagonwheeler said:
Ha! Ha! Ha! This is great! Both you guys on here.:blob2:

You both have really good saws. That E-tech 359 is handicapped w/ the e-tech muffler probably more than the 360pro w/ it's factory muffler. And the 359 is probably not broken in yet - how many tanks so far?

Buy identical chains and run 'em then mod both mufflers and run 'em again!

well i havent even got one tank through yet and its for sure not broken in. and the 360 has already got muffler mods if i can remember correctly

yeah the muffler mod has been done just have not adjusted the carb for it yet gotta get a tach for that but maybe Saturday we will see the mighty Husqer in some good white pine,let it get broken in then we will have some good white oak brought up since this is the "Oaktree 500" good luck Maddog!

MADDOG, send that E-tech muffler to rahtreelimbs (Rich Hoffman) to do the muffler mod. He is doing mine right now, so I cant wait to see the difference!

Latest posts

Back