MS360 vs MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1125 Series of saws which includes the 034, 036, and MS360, are great saws. They only made the MS360 for a couple of years from maybe 2000-2003, so not a ton of them are out there compared to the 034, and 036 which was made for more years. The 034 was made around from around 1985-1995, and the 036 was made from 1996-2003, I probably off on years, but just an estimate.

The 361 is has better anti vibration, than the 360, springs in the 361, versus rubber buffers in the 360.
Parts aren't interchangeable between the 360 and 361, but most parts from 034's, 036's will fit MS360's
Both have about the same power, the 361 feels a little heavier and I think has a little more power.

Well ... there are some interchangeble parts between the 360 and 361 - but, as BloodOnTheIce implies, you really have to be careful.

Hey, BloodOnTheIce, how-a-bout doing a review on your MS362 (maybe a new thread) - my dealer doesn't have one yet - I'd appreciate it :cheers:

Last edited:
ohh i see now. i thought that was only the new saws in the last few years.

i think that would bug me

this thread has got me motivated to get mine running how it should. the carb was gummed up when i got so i tore it down then. got it running i later decarboned the top end and still didnt run quite right so im doin the carb again today.

also might yank the top again after i measure squish and see if the gasket can come out.
well after i get the dang carb figured out

Last edited:
a spreadsheet of stihl specs that i have lists the 034 @ 11.6 but does not give a hp rating. it lists the 036 @ 4.5HP but no weight. it lists the 360 @ 4.5hp and 12.5lbs. i am not guaranteeing the these numbers. if someone has more certain numbers, let me know. i am working on this SS for both husky and stihl.

That it closer to the truth than some of the earlier posts!

Btw, only the US 361s are rated at 4.4hp, the others are rated at 4.6hp (muffler and cylinder is different).

It also is true that the 360 was a tad heavier than the 361, .2 lbs sounds about right.

Maybe the most important difference is that the 361 has four channel porting vs. two channel, so the 361 has a more effective "powerband" for most use.

Last edited:
id like to run my 034 super after its muffler modded along side a muffler modded 362 to see how they compare.

id to the comparison with a single 20" bar and oregon lgx cutn wood to the tip or just past

ohh i see now. i thought that was only the new saws in the last few years.

i think that would bug me

this thread has got me motivated to get mine running how it should. the carb was gummed up when i got so i tore it down then. got it running i later decarboned the top end and still didnt run quite right so im doin the carb again today.

also might yank the top again after i measure squish and see if the gasket can come out.
well after i get the dang carb figured out
might want to check the seals on it

That it closer to the truth than some of the earlier posts!

Btw, only the US 361s are rated at 4.4hp, the others are rated at 4.6hp.

It also is true that the 360 was a tad heavier than the 361, .2 lbs sounds about right.

Maybe the most important difference is that the 361 has four channel porting vs. two channel, so the 361 has a more effective "powerband" for most use.

mine says 4.1 and 4.6 for the 34 and 36

mine says 4.1 and 4.6 for the 34 and 36

Stihl actually has been quite "messy" and inconsistant with the specs of the 036/360 and the 361 - and I trust the DLG/KWF lab tests more as a "starting point".

Their dyno results say 3.3kW/4.5hp for the 036/360 and 3.4kW/4.6hp for 361 - all Euro versions that Stihl rated at 3.4kW/4.6hp.
At some point the US saws were getting more restricted mufflers and lower specs than the Euro ones (I believe it was some time in the "360 years").

Anyway, I believe the totally different cylinder design (trasfers) has a much larger impact on actual performance than .1hp or kW up/down at 9500rpms - that is just a "snapshot" of one point in the powerband........

Last edited:
Does Electronic Quickstop simply mean it has electronic ignition and a chain brake?

Quickstop = chainbrake
Electronic =ignition

I have a 036 QS and it has the extra brake that works on the rear handle.
You dont even notice its there, No more setting the brake to walk and its handy for sharpening on the bar.

The 036 QS has all the Pro features.

Planning porting mine over the holidays:)

Quickstop = chainbrake
Electronic =ignition

I have a 036 QS and it has the extra brake that works on the rear handle.
You dont even notice its there, No more setting the brake to walk and its handy for sharpening on the bar.

The 036 QS has all the Pro features.

Planning porting mine over the holidays:)

STIHL Chain Braking System

STIHL Quickstop® Chain Brake
The STIHL Quickstop® chain brake is designed to stop the rotation of the chain if activated by the operator’s hand or by inertia if the saw kicks back with sufficient force.

STIHL Second Chain Braking System (Q)*
STIHL also offers a second additional, manually-activated chain brake on some models. This system is designed to engage when the operator’s right hand completely releases the rear handle, stopping the chain within one second.
The large throttle interlock lever activates the second brake system.
brake_sys.gif

Whats the big difference between a Stihl 360 and 361? I have a MS360 pro with a 20" bar and its a great saw, but you don't hear much about them. There seems like there are a lot of people that have a 361 but not many 360's.
Mine is in the pic! Love it--lots of hrs

360 pro,,,only stihl that I have.
Really nice saw, ported and mm'd it will blow da doors off of any stock 60cc class saw that I have run

Back