MS361 VS 365 Special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the 365 and 6400 is that they are too heavy and bulky for their power - but for stationary cutting it doesn't really matter.

You and your issues with weight. ;)

You should register your saws with Jenny Craig or put them on a Weight Watchers program!! :laugh: :biggrinbounce2:

Love ya ST. :D :cheers:

If you buy a 365 and later put a 372 P/C on it, it would have been more economical to have saved for the 372, IMO. If the money is that tight, I'd buy the 365 and plan on being happy with it. Just shooting from the hip, I don't know if you could recover the difference selling a good used 365 P/C. I really like my 372xp with a 24" bar.

Jack

Pulling 24" bar in oak mainly. How much better will the 365 pull and is there a real good reason to move up to 372? I am not a saw racer, I just need the saw to pull it reliably and without strain.

Thanks,
2Door

the 365 special has had her ass ####ED & BEAT for a long time..

the 365 shares the same cases as the legendary 372. .. . . . .. . . .. . . .. . .. . ..

Dont even consider the 361, the candidate for this battle would be a 440. If you can find one of thoes you had better watch your back HAHAHAHAH....

Origional poster:

I have a 361. Its a great saw. does well in wood to 20 inches or so, BUT starts to struggle over 20, especially 30 and higher. I have decided to get a stihl 441. Good anti vibe, strato engine, lot of torque. I dont want to wear out my 361 in big wood over 20 inches.

You have a stihl dealer nearby. Take a look at 441. At the very least its an option.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I grew up running a pair of 365's that I bought from where I used to work.

I ran 20" bars on them until I ran into some big oak trees....The dealer i got all my supplies from was a Stihl dealer...I wanted a 24" bar to take out a couple trees that were huge. All he had was a 28". I remember the bar and 2 chains cost me 57 dollars. (back in like 1999). he also told me that it would cut very slow and I would hate it.

I left the one 28" bar on the 365 special and the 20" on the regular 365 (which had the same p/c). I was actually surprised that the saw had the nuts to run it.

now this was a long time ago, before I ever found AS, and aquired about 100 saws. I would never think of doing this now as I have many larger saws....but for the money, you cannot beat a 365. It has a lot of grunt and if ported right, will hang right with a good running 372.... I'd prolly still keep the bar length to about 24" though...28" was a stretch

Long story short, the 361 is a great 18-20" bar saw.....and not good for much more, but it is lighter than the 365. The 365 is built on the same chassis as the 372 and has the big bar mount (not like the older 362s that had the small husky mount), has good antivibe, good filtration, lots of torque, and has a real good price tag. The 365 doesn't get the reputation it deserves because most pros went for the larger 372....The Place i worked at would buy 4- 365's and run them for 2 years then sell them and buy four more. I got two of the ones, and got to run them from day one...I know they had been worked hard and 10 years later...the only major problem was one of the oilers locked up (plastic gear)...good service life if you ask me.

365 is a great saw, and not much different then a 372. It will pull a 24" bar no problem, but if cutting alot with the bar buried you would be happier with a 80cc+ saw.

This post sums it up quite nicely...the 365 will pull a 24 just fine, but if you are constantly cutting 24"+ buried, then get a larger saw

Hey Josh1981,
Just what are those Georgia Soutern Belle's doing to our Quarterbacks down there ???

if you want more power on a budget get a 6401 makita. ....

The question was 361 or 365 in 24" oak

Of those two the 365 is better. If the question was "which saw is easier on the back cutting 10" maple all day" then the answer would be 361. If the question was "which german-made 4 1/2 HP saw is cheapest" then the 6401 would win.

The question was 361 or 365 in 24" oak Of those two the 365 is better. If the question was "which saw is easier on the back cutting 10" maple all day" then the answer would be 361. If the question was "which german-made 4 1/2 HP saw is cheapest" then the 6401 would win.
its more than just cheapest. its the most powerful too. hands down.

Latest posts

Back