Ms362 vs Jred 2156

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These saws seem pretty close in specs so I figure I'd ask the experts. Mainly for firewood but the occasional felling of medium sized hardwoods.
Thanks

They are both fine saws and will give you years of service. I would go with which ever feels better to you and mainly which dealer gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling. If you do go with the jred it most likely will have a cat muffler and you might consider getting rid of it and getting a reg muffler.

But to directly answer your question:

Air filtration seems close.

Stihl uses std Stihl bar mount, 2156 uses "small husky".

Inboard clutch vs outboard clutch. Once you get the hang of removing the outboard clutch, it's not a whole lot more of a pain than fooling with "E" clips and losing washers. Some prefer one or the other, but it's hard to judge 'til you've had both.

If you handle both, one will feel "better" to you.

Flippy caps.

Top cover removal is a little different.

Jonny should be "Revvy-er", Stihl may be "Torquey-er".

That's about all I've got.

If I may ask, because there is always more than one way to do things. How would a guy remove an outboard clutched power head from a pinched bar? On my MS192TC, I have to put the chain around the clutch, slide the guide bar up against the sprocket, and then place the chain on and around the guide bar. Now on an inboard clutched power head, I can put the chain in the bar groove, and then set the B/C assembly on the saw and bolt it down. Wouldn't you have to remove the clutch from a Husqy or 'red to free the powerhead?

I'm just thinking out loud because I've never been in big enough wood to worry about it, nor have had any wood to cut in a while.

I love my 362 its a great little saw. When I first got it I ran a 25" bar on it for the longest time, I just recently got a 20". It pulled the 25" along though. cant speak about the 2156, my boss has a 2153c and I gotta say that thing sounds so restricted!

If I may ask, because there is always more than one way to do things. How would a guy remove an outboard clutched power head from a pinched bar? On my MS192TC, I have to put the chain around the clutch, slide the guide bar up against the sprocket, and then place the chain on and around the guide bar. Now on an inboard clutched power head, I can put the chain in the bar groove, and then set the B/C assembly on the saw and bolt it down. Wouldn't you have to remove the clutch from a Husqy or 'red to free the powerhead?

I'm just thinking out loud because I've never been in big enough wood to worry about it, nor have had any wood to cut in a while.

Several years ago I ran a 266xp husky in "commercial" settings. I had to remove the powerhead a couple of times, and had enough room to do so. It's pretty fiddly.

I have twice had my cs2152 in a situation where I Would have liked to remove the 'head from the pinched bar. With the 18" laminate bar, I was able to get the bar and chain off. More recently I tried the same with a 16" Windsor speedtip, and didn't have the slack, possibly due to the way the saw was bound.

I recently have heard that some pro cutters carry a small chainbreaker with them. I believe One could get an inboard-clutch-equipped saw in just the right (wrong) kind of bind that would require removal of the e-clip, washer, and rim. That would (could) also be a pain.

Something i forgot to add:

I do Not, personally, like the stihl combi-switch.
I personally much prefer the huskiRed On/Off switch with separate choke. If you want 'fast idle', you just pull the choke, push it back in. This sets the Off/On back to 'On' AND gives you 'fast idle'. I like that.

Something i forgot to add:

I do Not, personally, like the stihl combi-switch.
I personally much prefer the huskiRed On/Off switch with separate choke. If you want 'fast idle', you just pull the choke, push it back in. This sets the Off/On back to 'On' AND gives you 'fast idle'. I like that.

Same with Stihl just push the switch all the way down then back up one and you have fast idle and the on switch is on.

For what it is worth, I would rather have a 361 than a 362 if they are in equivalent condition.

I'm not that familiar with Jreds to Husky conversions...but I would much rather have a 562 than a 362 and I'm a stihl guy. :msp_mellow:

Same with Stihl just push the switch all the way down then back up one and you have fast idle and the on switch is on.

I agree with you, and understand how the combi-switch works. I have used them, and not just a little. It's just my opinion, but I don't like them as well. Not knocking anybody's Stihl.

Latest posts

Back