MS440 or MS441 - You Decide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are MUCH more complicated to work on. It's a pretty good job to get the cylinder off. The new 261 is WAY easier to work on.

I don't have any run time on mine to compare, but mine is slinging oil off the top of my 28" bar very well. Time will tell.

What I'd really like is a 80cc MS461, built like a 261:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, all stock saws suck:)

Brad,

Terry, just got a Big Bore 441 finished and did test cuts against a broke in "modded by him/same guy" 460 and it spanked the 460 pretty bad, both were wearing 25", full comp and 8 pins.

If you get a chance or need, you should try one of those Big Bore kits, he stated that the quality is/was pretty good. We are going to compare it to the OEM piston/cylinder as they are running pretty hard, as well, but he thinks the Big Bore kit is tops if/when used with Stihl rings and circle clips. He has only done one of these Big Bore kits so we'll see how it goes on power and longevity in the coming months. I see over 1 million board feet in work for us right now and I'm going to stock up on the 441's, as we have no use for a 660 modded or otherwise at this point, LOL.

But basically the Big Bore kit for the 441 makes it the new Stihl 461, LOL.

I don't contest that complexity issue, they are, but it doesn't effect the guy running the saw, and is only a problem a few times per saw in its overall life, and overall doesn't really effect wood production per say for me, so I don't mind. Sorry for you saw builders, LOL.

Sam

If you get a chance or need, you should try one of those Big Bore kits, he stated that the quality is/was pretty good. We are going to compare it to the OEM piston/cylinder as they are running pretty hard, as well, but he thinks the Big Bore kit is tops if/when used with Stihl rings and circle clips. He has only done one of these Big Bore kits so we'll see how it goes on power and longevity in the coming months. I see over 1 million board feet in work for us right now and I'm going to stock up on the 441's, as we have no use for a 660 modded or otherwise at this point, LOL.

But basically the Big Bore kit for the 441 makes it the new Stihl 461, LOL.

I don't contest that complexity issue, they are, but it doesn't effect the guy running the saw, and is only a problem a few times per saw in its overall life, and overall doesn't really effect wood production per say for me, so I don't mind. Sorry for you saw builders, LOL.

Sam

But I'd have to take the saw apart again:)

YA! LOL, this is why I've liked Husky so much more then Stihl. The AV is leaps and bounds above Stihl its not even funny. I like a smooth saw, and my hand don't hate me at the end of cutting day.

Yeah, when my hands were getting bad, if I had to run the 660 much more with the harder AV mounts, I was about to jump ship myself, but then I would run a Husky and they just buzzed and felt like they were going to fall apart ........ and some did/were losing parts, I just couldn't do it.

I like how the 361 felt/ little to no vibes and then the 441 came along and I jumped on that ship with both legs, LOL.

Benefits are:

The smoothest saw in the world, period.
I don't have to run a Husky, thank God.
Way more power than a stock 660 when modded and pretty close to a modded 660 when the 441 is modded well, and running sub-28" bars in hardwood, in that soft west coast stuff, I guess you could hang just about anything you want on the end of it, LOL.

Cons:

The regular model could use a better oiler (my opinion).
The saw builders will "get" to spend more time getting to know it due to complexity, LOL.

Sam

Slamm,
Great posts. Like I said, that's just the way it felt to me, but again that's the one and only time I have used a saw with that advanced of an AV setup. All 3 of my saws use the older stiffer type AV setup, and I guess I'm just so used to that feel.

I guess it's like anything, it just takes getting used to, and then you wonder what you ever did without it. Kind of like my kicking and screaming to give up a carburetors on vehicles!!

I will say my 361 felt weird to me too, after being used to the Stihl rubber bushings. It felt really loose and shakey. But once I got to using it, it was so much smoother than anything I was used to. Now it's the only saw I ever want to use. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm thinking hard about getting a 441 and having a 4 saw plan. That will probably be as useless as tits on a boar, having a 4 saw plan. But hey, that don't mean it would'nt be fun. You really have to run a 441 to appreciate what Stihl has done with these saws. They are pure luxury. :heart:

Brad,

Terry, just got a Big Bore 441 finished and did test cuts against a broke in "modded by him/same guy" 460 and it spanked the 460 pretty bad, both were wearing 25", full comp and 8 pins.

Sam

Sam,

And how big is this 441 Big Bore kit measured in cc?

Back