MS440 Reborn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't seem to make any kind of business sense to undercut sales on the new, improved replacement model 441. Having said that, if a 440 was made available and I had a niche to fill I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Not calling anyone out, just don't see it happening either.

Mike, it's funny you say that. THALL started a thread about a meeting he went to where he was told that husky and stihl have met EPA standards and don't need to make more changes.

Well if that's the case then maybe they'll be a good run of new 440s for the people that want them. I hope husky has a whole pile of 372 xpws left somewhere.

so can anyone say why the 440 is preferred over the 460? i know it would have less power,but how much lighter could it be? i wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal to make a years run with them. the only thing it does not share with the 460 is p/c,coil,and flywheel... another thing to think about is if they build that many more saws on that chassis,they could use them up quicker for the replacement of the 460?

They must have got enough credits to put a run out like husky kept doing to the 372.

That seems pretty plausible, I don't know why they wouldn't. I'd buy several as well as most of the guys I work with.

Finding nos saws is a pain,everyone says there is still tons of them around. I've been looking for a 361 and occasionally a 440,and if any dealers have them that my distributer services,they are not telling them. I think if stihl puts these in the system,so guys can order them,they will sell out of them pretty quickly. Saw king says he will be able to order them in march.

so can anyone say why the 440 is preferred over the 460? i know it would have less power,but how much lighter could it be? i wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal to make a years run with them. the only thing it does not share with the 460 is p/c,coil,and flywheel... another thing to think about is if they build that many more saws on that chassis,they could use them up quicker for the replacement of the 460?

Actually there is a lot more differences that that, but the biggest weight saver is the case. I have had them both, and the 044/440 is my choice, hands down. The "Felt" weight difference is substantial, with not a very big difference in power in stock form. The only way id choose a 460 over a 440 is if it were stuck running a 28" -32" bar all day long. That is where the 460 will shine with it's added displacement. Any other conditions, give me an 044

HOORAY 044!!! :clap: :clap:

This is simply amazing. I would have never expected this after them being discontinued so long. They will fly off the shelves like crazy for sure.

There will be fist fights at the saw shop over them here if they don't send as many as possible to Western Montana.....I'm not kidding, lol - Sam

I find it quite odd as well. Maybe stihl caught more crap then we know about for dropping it? Maybe they are having trouble moving 441's more than it would appear? Everyone,except the die hards,that runs a 441 that i know,just loves it. Who knows.......

I never knew for sure,as i have never owned the 440. What is the actual powerhead wt. And rated h.p. On the 440?

The 440 was more popular than the 460 around here because most guys are 24" bars on those saws. And with that size bar they both pull it very well and with a 440 you'd have an extra 150$ in your pocket over a 460.

Awesome news! There is just something about the ms440's that I love.

Now can we reintroduce the 361?:hmm3grin2orange: I'm gonna push my boss to buy a few saws this year for his tree company. I'm thinking a rear handle 201, a 440 or a 441 autotune.

Something about the topcover in SK's video does not look exactly right. Maybe it is just the angle. I wonder if they went and designed a strato top end like Husky did for the 372xt? Notice the airbox lid is covered, where the majority of the changes would be evident.

Still seems a step backward to me though. Husky has been selling 372's alongside 576's with little trouble. I bet Stihl is going to try and cash in on that idea too.

Something about the topcover in SK's video does not look exactly right. Maybe it is just the angle. I wonder if they went and designed a strato top end like Husky did for the 372xt? Notice the airbox lid is covered, where the majority of the changes would be evident.

Still seems a step backward to me though. Husky has been selling 372's alongside 576's with little trouble. I bet Stihl is going to try and cash in on that idea too.

You might be onto something.

Will the 441 disappear? Seems most people like them, but everyone around here just buys a 460 because it is a proven performer.

Back