Ms440=TorqueMeister

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on scoring a new 440:clap:

the MS441 and 575XP replacement saws remind me of Chevy replacing the Camaro with the Cobalt. I'm sure the Cobalt doesn't "vibrate" as much either
:hmm3grin2orange:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: I'll shut up now:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

the MS441 and 575XP replacement saws remind me of Chevy replacing the Camaro with the Cobalt. I'm sure the Cobalt doesn't "vibrate" as much either

Oh hells bells now ya done brought the 441 into the mix...now we're really gonna start pee'in in folks' cheerios... :laugh: :laugh:

Ask the loggers if they even heard of the 2171, not many..:)

The biggest logging outfit around here just bought two new 2171's. But the feller bunchers do most of the work.

Jonsered has had a good following around here since the 1970's. Quite a few dealers and the old Vermonters were just to cheap to buy Stihl (no dealers either)

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: I'll shut up now:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

The difference is that the 441 is more powerful.

BTW....the Cobalt replaced the Cavalier.

Good question, why do many say the MS440 is a better saw than the MS460?. I realize they are different saws, just kind of curious why many prefer the MS440.

440 preference

Depends on the work you're doing I suppose, but when I was sawing on fires, I had the option of using a 440 or 460 and tried them both. Ultimately, I put the 460 away and carried the 440. The biggest trees we had to deal w/ were 45-50" spruce that lived on a high ridge and often attracted lightning. Once a year or so, one of those spruce would need to come down and the 440 w/ a 28" bar seemed small, but it would do the job. I wouldn't want to spend a day professionally felling trees that size w/ that saw, but it sure did beat the 460 for fireline work. Mainly, it was lighter, had adequate power, and was easier on a tank of gas....all considerations when you're packing your fuel along for miles.

The 372 is a good saw but no 440.:)

true dat....a 372 is a ......

and has better filtration, an equally good chain tensioner, inboard sprocket, a tad more power, quad ported, plenty of longevity, better anti vibration system.....but is a tad heavier, and costs less.

I like them both! But the 372 is the better saw....imo

Last edited:
The difference is that the 441 is more powerful.

BTW....the Cobalt replaced the Cavalier.

The 441 is a dawg, ARF ARF ARF. Maybe you don't notice. But run it in a douglas fir at 9000+ above sea level and its weak and sssssllllloooooowwww. Dont worry though peacock, the 575 is right there with it.

And the if the cobalt replaced the cavalier, then where is the Camaro hmmmmmmmm????????? Chevy just didn't want to say it because it would PO the rednecks, but with cobalt LT LS an SS models, I think its pretty clear.

And the if the cobalt replaced the cavalier, then where is the Camaro hmmmmmmmm????????? Chevy just didn't want to say it because it would PO the rednecks, but with cobalt LT LS an SS models, I think its pretty clear.

Not to get too far off topic... but I think Chevy was tryin' to cash in on the "Sport Compact" (rice rocket, rice boys) crowd with the POS Cobalt.

The "new" Camaro better be a doozy... cuz Chevy has been lackin' in the modern muscle era.

Sucks for all us Chevy fans.:taped:

Garuy

Good question, why do many say the MS440 is a better saw than the MS460?. I realize they are different saws, just kind of curious why many prefer the MS440.

It isn't even a question,the 460 is definately stronger,but feels much heavier than the 440.By spec sheet,Stihl claims it's only a pound heavier but it feels like more than that by the end of the day.

Even though the 460 is stronger,the 440 will still do everything the 460 will,and with some mild tweaks inside the engine you can easily make the 440 stronger.If I absolutely need a bigger saw to make a felling cut,then I will break out the 395 or 660.Then usually I'll just make my felling cut and put the big saw back up again.

I wouldn't say the 440 is a better saw than the 460.I have both,and you can't help but fall in love with the 460.

Back