ms441 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newby79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am having a little problem with my saw that I was hoping I could get some help with here. I purchased my 441 about a year ago and have used it to cut firewood most of the summer. Yesterday I went to cut a couple more loads picked the saw up off the top of the tool box and there was a puddle of bar oil under it. It appeared to be coming from the around the clutch. So I made a few cuts checked the chain and it was dryer than a popcorn fart. So I turned the oiler up made a few more and still nothing. So I took the bar and chain off started it up and ran it a little to see if any oil would come out. It spitted a little bit out the hole but not enough. So I shut the saw off and put it on my tailgate when I noticed oil pouring out from the clutch drum. Now is there a hose or something that could have broke or is the pump bad? I know it is not getting enough oil because the bar and chain are getting to hot. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone have and exploded view of a 441 that I could see?
thanks
:givebeer:

Have you got dirt or anything in the oil tank that could have clogged the port? You can empty the oil tank and flush it out with mix if so. I keep all my oilers turned up to the max. The tank vent could also be clogged. Check the "beg for manuals" thread and see if you can get a IPL, look at the oiler and related parts then go into the saw and check for a problem, the feed hose could have come off or almost off as you mentioned.

Hey everyone I am having a little problem with my saw that I was hoping I could get some help with here. I purchased my 441 about a year ago and have used it to cut firewood most of the summer. Yesterday I went to cut a couple more loads picked the saw up off the top of the tool box and there was a puddle of bar oil under it. It appeared to be coming from the around the clutch. So I made a few cuts checked the chain and it was dryer than a popcorn fart. So I turned the oiler up made a few more and still nothing. So I took the bar and chain off started it up and ran it a little to see if any oil would come out. It spitted a little bit out the hole but not enough. So I shut the saw off and put it on my tailgate when I noticed oil pouring out from the clutch drum. Now is there a hose or something that could have broke or is the pump bad? I know it is not getting enough oil because the bar and chain are getting to hot. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone have and exploded view of a 441 that I could see?
thanks

Take it back for service. It's got a 1 yr warranty for non-professional use.

It's unlikely the pump is bad, but it may be loose, or the inlet pickup hose is distorted etc.. etc.

HOWEVER, if you had a bad clutch drum bearing and the drum ran eccentric, it can cut though the pump... This doesn't happen overnight, and is unlikely in a newer saw.. Check your drum for looseness.. finger and thumb on either side and see if it rocks excessively.

The bearing is not bad the drum does not rock at all. How would one get to the line to see if it is pinched or broke? Does anyone have a service manual for this saw. I looked on the beg for manuals thread but could not locate one. I could probably get a better idea what has happened if I knew how everything was connected but I can't tell anything with the clutch still on. Will I need to remove the clutch to tighten the pump? if it is loose. I need to get it fixed in a hurry I just scored the right to about 20 tops of oak and hickory. any help would be appreciated.:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

The pickup hose connects to the bottom right of the pump.

The pump is the same (different piston/control bolt) in the 361 and 460, so either of those manuals will work for you.

Well last night I finally got some time to tear down my 441 to find out why the oiler is not functioning. I took the pump off and everything with it looked fine. I could turn it by hand and it would pump oil. If I covered the inlet while rotating the pump I could feel the pump sucking. So I think the pump is fine. I flushed the oil tank and took out the inlet pickup tube. It did not appear to be distorted or cracked and I could easy blow air through it with no resistance. I cleaned out the feed cavity that flows the oil up to the bar with pipe cleaners there was nothing in there either. Well at this point the only thing I could think of that might be wrong was the little check valve that is suppose to equalize the pressure between the tank and the outside air. So I reinstalled the inlet tube put a little oil in the tank. I then took a straw and shoved it in the hole and blew into the tank. I could not get the check valve to open up at all. And after I stopped blowing into the straw I had an oil qeyser. So My question now is could that little check valve been my problem all along? I already drove it out and I am going to pick up a new one today, and see if it works.

Well last night I finally got some time to tear down my 441 to find out why the oiler is not functioning. I took the pump off and everything with it looked fine. I could turn it by hand and it would pump oil. If I covered the inlet while rotating the pump I could feel the pump sucking. So I think the pump is fine. I flushed the oil tank and took out the inlet pickup tube. It did not appear to be distorted or cracked and I could easy blow air through it with no resistance. I cleaned out the feed cavity that flows the oil up to the bar with pipe cleaners there was nothing in there either. Well at this point the only thing I could think of that might be wrong was the little check valve that is suppose to equalize the pressure between the tank and the outside air. So I reinstalled the inlet tube put a little oil in the tank. I then took a straw and shoved it in the hole and blew into the tank. I could not get the check valve to open up at all. And after I stopped blowing into the straw I had an oil qeyser. So My question now is could that little check valve been my problem all along? I already drove it out and I am going to pick up a new one today, and see if it works.

Possible

Must be like the rest of the saw, regulated by the EPA. When oil prices go up and the green movement hit big, the oiler was programed to not let as much oil out, so that the earth would not be condemed by working saw oilers.
That is my MS441 conspiricy theory.

Must be like the rest of the saw, regulated by the EPA. When oil prices go up and the green movement hit big, the oiler was programed to not let as much oil out, so that the earth would not be condemed by working saw oilers.

It's the same oiler as the 460. There goes that theory.

:)

Oh! So you're one of those guys, eh? Let me set the record straight once and for all regarding the MS441. It was designed by an advanced alien civilization that time traveled back to our present time. The 441 is too advanced a design to be understood by most users. I have a very large brain, evidenced by my large hat size, so I understand the 441 completely. I can run this saw all day long and not experience any diffculties what so ever.
Hooray for me!

Latest posts

Back