MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i just have to say it............

BAAAM! IN YOUR FACE STIHL HEADS!!!!!!!! LOL :biggrin:

And a big thanks to Andre for taking the time to do this.

Let me make one point, one significant point. The Stihl had the fastest cut time by a significant margin. Had the Stihl not had a couple way high cut times, the average would have gone to the Stihl as well. Yes, I'm a Stihl head at heart. I can't help it:) My point being, NO ONE can claim a definate victory. The data simply doesn't support that.

Let me make one point, one significant point. The Stihl had the fastest cut time by a significant margin. Had the Stihl not had a couple way high cut times, the average would have gone to the Stihl as well. Yes, I'm a Stihl head at heart. I can't help it:) My point being, NO ONE can claim a definate victory. The data simply doesn't support that.

Brad.......come on man....Husqvarna STRAIGHT UP had faster times. IF a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its butt. Do it again, if your gonna say stuff like this, because we all see the 576 was faster. Im sorry, but thats ridiculous to try and say theres no definet winner.

Last edited:

Maybe for just one cut Brad the 441's computer went into kick ass mode when it felt threatened by the Husky? Even worse, what if the Husky was in "limp home" mode the whole time?

I don't really give a rats @$$ which saw wins really. I'm not a competitive retard who's into bragging that they won by 2 thousandths of a second.

BUT in the racing world - winning is winning. And winning goes way beyond chainsaw racing as we all know.

Both saws run good - one may be "faster" across the board but these are woods saws cutting big, barked, knotty wood. For this to be considered a "real test" there's too many variables (as Andre already pointed out). To test it properly you'd have to get 8x8 clean pine, 16" bars, run the same chain, make a few cuts and average the times - boom, that's your winner.

But I'm not suggesting that such a project gets done, nor am I slandering the methods used to make the comparison used. This is just merely comparison and not a race. Racing is a whole different animal than comparing. Obviously racing is comparing, but you guys know what I'm getting at. To make it a race is too much work and there's a lot more whining involved, lol.

So far so good I'd say. :)

Well I think it's about time to take a nap then a poop. Anyone care to join me.....??

No one kicked anyones butt here, period. We're only talking about a couple tenths of a second over a 14 second cut. Throw in the huge variance in cut times with the 441. Throw in the fact that the 441 had the fastest cut time by a fair margin. Throw in the fact that the 441 holds higher RPMs in the cut. That doesn't add up to the 576 being a clear winner. Even Andre himself called it a tie. Before anyone gets too excited, remember this is supposed to be fun. I'm not interested in making this anything less.

I don't really give a rats @$$ which saw wins really. I'm not a competitive retard who's into bragging that they won by 2 thousandths of a second.

BUT in the racing world - winning is winning. And winning goes way beyond chainsaw racing as we all know.

Both saws run good - one may be "faster" across the board but these are woods saws cutting big, barked, knotty wood. For this to be considered a "real test" there's too many variables (as Andre already pointed out). To test it properly you'd have to get 8x8 clean pine, 16" bars, run the same chain, make a few cuts and average the times - boom, that's your winner.

But I'm not suggesting that such a project gets done, nor am I slandering the methods used to make the comparison used. This is just merely comparison and not a race. Racing is a whole different animal than comparing. Obviously racing is comparing, but you guys know what I'm getting at. To make it a race is too much work and there's a lot more whining involved, lol.

So far so good I'd say. :)

Well I think it's about time to take a nap then a poop. Anyone care to join me.....??

A HUGE +1 Jason!

No one kicked anyones butt here, period. We're only talking about a couple tenths of a second over a 14 second cut. Throw in the huge variance in cut times with the 441. Throw in the fact that the 441 had the fastest cut time by a fair margin. Throw in the fact that the 441 holds higher RPMs in the cut. That doesn't add up to the 576 being a clear winner. Even Andre himself called it a tie. Before anyone gets too excited, remember this is supposed to be fun. I'm not interested in making this anything less.

But.....you've also got to throw in the facts that the Husky is smoother, that the Husky had a faster average, the fact that Andre himself liked the Autotune of the Husqvarna better, the fact that the "shifting gearsin the 441 wasnt gone" Dont get me wrong here guys, but NOT giving Husqvarna its due props here is totally unfair.

But.....you've also got to throw in the facts that the Husky is smoother, that the Husky had a faster average, the fact that Andre himself liked the Autotune of the Husqvarna better, the fact that the "shifting gearsin the 441 wasnt gone" Dont get me wrong here guys, but NOT giving Husqvarna its due props here is totally unfair.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Husky. Both of these saws are excellent. I always TRY to remain objective in any saw comparison. That's why I'm pointing out what I an.

It's true the 441 did have the fastest cut time, however, it also had the slowest cut time by some margin.
In racing consistency is everything, and in motor racing the car having the fastest lap, does not necessarily win the race (very often it does not) what is important is overall race time. The shortest time to complete the race IS the winner. In this case the husky completed the 6 cuts in the shortest time, it IS the winner.

Shortest race time, Fastest average, First past the post, whatever you call it, the 576 IS the winner. :msp_tongue:

It's true the 441 did have the fastest cut time, however, it also had the slowest cut time by some margin.
In racing consistency is everything, and in motor racing the car having the fastest lap, does not necessarily win the race (very often it does not) what is important is overall race time. The shortest time to complete the race IS the winner. In this case the husky completed the 6 cuts in the shortest time, it IS the winner.

Shortest race time, Fastest average, First past the post, whatever you call it, the 576 IS the winner. :msp_tongue:
You're leaving out operator and wood inconsistencies, which are always present. That's likely the cause of the time differences of the 441, but not necessarily.

In all racing (all forms of racing) despite the level playing field of consistent rules and conditions for all those competing, there will always be a reason/reasons why one is faster than the other on the day. These reasons/conditions/inconsistencies whatever you call them do not change the fact the somebody/something won a particular race on a particular day.

It could be argued that the 441 had one fast cut because it hit a soft bit of wood, similarly it may have hit a couple of hard bits of wood. My own view is that it could also be down to the software/firmware running the saw. I seem to recall some comments along the lines of the Husky tuning seeming to be more refined than the stihl . I believe I'm right in thinking the husky AT has been around longer than the stihl mtronic (I may be completely wrong). This being the case it may just be that the husky software/firmware has been tweaked over time, while the stihl is an early version.

The modififcation/refinement over time of firmware/software in computers and devices like smart phones etc is common practice, and it would not suprise me if saw manufactures did the same thing. It may well be that 441s and (576s) will be running updated firmware in 12 months time, with better parameters and performance characteristics. You may even be able to replace the module on an old saw with a new one and improve the way the saw runs, who knows. Interesting times for sure.

i agree both saws look great, and in the real world there would be nothing between them. And again I'd like to thank you and the guys for all your effert and time put in to the test.

P.S.
Husky is still the winner though. :biggrin:

guys, S T F U and quit squabling. The results are what they are. The test is what it is. I ran both saws first hand and they're both fricken awesome.

You're wrong one saw is a speed demon, faster than the speed of light and the other is a dog that can't cut it's self out of a wet paper bag!

Stihl might as well close the doors, the new king is a muffler moded 576AT!

All hail the greatest saw ever made!

By the way how did these two saws compare without the variable of a muffler mod thrown in?
I don't have the patience to go back and find that.

You're wrong one saw is a speed demon, faster than the speed of light and the other is a dog that can't cut it's self out of a wet paper bag!

Stihl might as well close the doors, the new king is a muffler moded 576AT!

All hail the greatest saw ever made!

By the way how did these two saws compare without the variable of a muffler mod thrown in?
I don't have the patience to go back and find that.

I didn't think they ever raced the 441 without being MM. Regardless, I'll take the 441 M-Tronics ............ no better yet, I'll take two, LOL.

Sam

Back