MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't really give a rats @$$ which saw wins really. I'm not a competitive retard who's into bragging that they won by 2 thousandths of a second.

Both saws run good - one may be "faster" across the board but these are woods saws cutting big, barked, knotty wood. For this to be considered a "real test" there's too many variables (as Andre already pointed out). To test it properly you'd have to get 8x8 clean pine, 16" bars, run the same chain, make a few cuts and average the times - boom, that's your winner.

Well I think it's about time to take a nap then a poop. Anyone care to join me.....??

1. I AM that competitive retard! I'd love to be able to brag about beating someone by .002 of a second!

2. You're absolutely right, this sort of "racing" is like street drag racing, absolutely pointless
you're not racing for money, or anything, just bragging rights. Racing saws is done in consistent
wood, with as few variables as possible, done with significantly modified, or bone stock saws.

3.I'd love a nap right now but at work on my lunch break maybe later.

blsnelling
guys, S T F U and quit squabling. The results are what they are. The test is what it is. I ran both saws first hand and they're both fricken awesome.

Unfortunately, you will always have people read more into a comparison than what it is. VERY few will put fourth the effort for this kind off thing though. Don't take it personal. You guys enjoyed doing this and don't let anyone take that away from you.

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AHEM!.......

I'm not surprised at all.
I told you last weekend that this was gonna be the outcome.

Both are fine machines and would be great firewood saws.
I wonder :msp_confused: how an AK77 ported 372 would compare to them?????:D:D:D:D:D

Mike

Andyshine77
You're leaving out operator and wood inconsistencies, which are always present. That's likely the cause of the time differences of the 441, but not necessarily.

Brad I could have taken out the bad numbers from both saws, but I felt like including every cut to try and make as fair as I could. Yes if you take the three fastest cuts from both saws the 441 comes out ahead, way way ahead:msp_unsure: 14.121333 for the 576 and 14.06 for the 441. That is a tie in my book and not as far apart as I think you were thinking. Bottom line the 441 made the fastest cut, but also the two slowest, the 576 was more consistent and easier to run IMHO.

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Brad I could have taken out the bad numbers from both saws, but I felt like including every cut to try and make as fair as I could. Yes if you take the three fastest cuts from both saws the 441 comes out ahead, way way ahead:msp_unsure: 14.121333 for the 576 and 14.06 for the 441. That is a tie in my book and not as far apart as I think you were thinking. Bottom line the 441 made the fastest cut, but also the two slowest, the 576 was more consistent and easier to run IMHO.

As a cheap old Bas+ard that wants a dollars worth of value for every nickel I spend, I would take the Husky over the Stihl every time.
Maybe after some more refinements on the Stihl, that could change, but they have a way to go to catch the Husky for ME.
JMHO
But I'm JUST a firewood cutter.:confused:

Mike

blsnelling

That's basically the point I've been trying to make. Both saws are winners and neither saw ran away with it. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Husky. What I'm trying to stop is those that want to say one or the other ran away with this comparison. They simply did not. That's how "old wives tales" on the forum are started. It took years to debunk the myth that the 441 was a dog and that it didn't respond well to mods. That's been proven to simply not be true.

My biggest concern with the variance in cut times of the 441 is this. What if they're a result of inconsistent tuning, from cut to cut? We've already been told that it's not as seemless as the 576. The "shifting gears" was the first thing I noticed right out of the box, and is my only real concern with this saw. I didn't like it at all. With that said, I didn't notice it at all the last time I ran it, after Andre had put some fuel through it. I also didn't hear it at all in the last vid, but Andre's says it's still there to some extent. He told me that sometime it feels super strong and other times not so much. That's what the stop watch says too. IMHO, the tuning should be 110% transparent to the operator. I don't see how anything less could be efficient. The Husky has that department nailed. Big kudos on that.

I may swap out the AV springs with the standard ones, just to get additional input from Andre and Nik. I honestly haven't run it enough to give a fair comparison.

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
It's truly sad that all these type post turn out to be a pizzing match. Can't people just appreciate the time and effort put into the process. When you get as close as these two saws are they are clearly both winners. In real world cutting conditions a 1/2 second doesn't mean ****, just like in the 372 build off, different wood, and different operators showed a wide variance in cut times, even using the same operator you can never duplicate a cut exactly, you just do the best you can.
I'm sure I could get along with either saw, depending where you live it could boil down to where you could get the best price and service, rather than pure brand loyalty.
Great job guys.

Officer's Match

Officer's Match

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree. In my neck of the woods, I actually have better Dolmar dealer support than Husky, but Stihl is walking distance, X2 actually. If they were equally convenient support-wise, I might opt for the uber-smooth Swede, but thats not the case, so I'm thinking the rowdy sounding 441R C-M will be my next saw. Anxious to see how it the Snellerization works out...

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Unfortunately, you will always have people read more into a comparison than what it is. VERY few will put fourth the effort for this kind off thing though. Don't take it personal. You guys enjoyed doing this and don't let anyone take that away from you.

That is why I am not racing off to trade in my standard stock ms441 for either of these saws. The important thing is how much fun it was to follow along and see what happens. Good job to all that were involved this was a good read.

young

young

token asian
That is why I am not racing off to trade in my standard stock ms441 for either of these saws. The important thing is how much fun it was to follow along and see what happens. Good job to all that were involved this was a good read.

but now for the money if anyone is in the market for a 441 or 576 these electronic versions should be seriously considered.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thought I'd lighten the mood a little...

Miss December knows a good saw when she see's one ;)

attachment.php

(MS441C)

Latest posts