MS441 vs MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work slinger. How big did you go on the muffler opening?

Made the stock port a bit bigger, not quite double. The second port is about the orginal size of the exhaust on the cylinder.
It revs really well, but was only at 13,900-14 in the video.

In video the saw is pulling an 8 tooth, I made two but did not explain that. That is why this is edited.

Last edited:
Good work, the saw sounded better and it pulled hard.

With that said, switching sprockets really negates the time difference. Sure in stock form an 8 pin may have made the saw slower, but it also could have made it faster in that soft wood. I say this because I know the 441 can pull a 26" bar in the hardest wood you'll find anywhere just fine, and I'm pretty sure it could handle a 32" and an 8 pin in soft wood pretty easily.

My point is, form a timed cut point of view, and as someone who is simply watching the video and not running the saw, I cant say for sure if there is any improvement at all, do to the sprocket being changed. I'm sure the saw does run much stronger,:cheers: but an 8 pin makes big difference. I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to down the saw or your work, from what I've seen your work is top notch to say the least.:cheers:

Last edited:
Made the stock port a bit bigger, not quite double. The second port is about the orginal size of the exhaust on the cylinder.
It revs really well, but was only at 13,900-14 in the video.

The second video the saw is pulling an 8 tooth.

How do you tell if the gain wasnt more form the rim sprocket change than anything else?

I would have thought you would use the same rim both times to make it a true comparison, or am I missing something?

I put second video (don't really know why), because I made two. One with 7s and one with 8s. I only posted the one with 8s, only because it was the one I edited first.

A sprocket change won't give a 29% in cut time, maybe 2.9%.

In fact the 8 tooth in stock form was slower than the 7.

Anyway, there is gonna be criticism and skeptic's but for what it is worth to the folks who are interested the 441 is very doable for a modded strato worksaw as is the 576xp.

Last edited:
I put second video (don't really know why), because I made two. One with 7s and one with 8s. I only posted the one with 8s, only because it was the one I edited first.
If you think a 7 to 8 tooth sprocket change with a 32" bar is gonna give you nearly 29% then you have just explained yourself.
There was very good gains.

7 to 8 t rim will never give that much difference. I understand that totally. I also wasnt trying to call any BS. Just wondered why a person would change rim sizes when doing a comparison test.

That 441 did make a hell of a difference between first vid and second. Just a rim change would never in a million years equal that.

7 to 8 t rim will never give that much difference. I understand that totally. I also wasnt trying to call any BS. Just wondered why a person would change rim sizes when doing a comparison test.

That 441 did make a hell of a difference between first vid and second. Just a rim change would never in a million years equal that.

I know what you are saying, I just wanted to set the record straight, I just did not proof my post.
Beside's good or bad it is all the same. :cheers:

A sprocket change won't give a 29% in cut time, maybe 2.9%.

In fact the 8 tooth in stock form was slower than the 7.

Anyway, there is gonna be criticism and skeptic's but for what it is worth to the folks who are interested the 441 is very doable for a modded strato worksaw as is the 576xp.

OK you just worded it incorrectly.:cheers:

I wasn't trying to criticize your work or anything like that, it just didn't make any sense why you would switch sprockets like that. It looks like the 441 will mod just about as good as most normal 2 cycle engines.:cheers:

I wasn't trying to criticize your work or anything like that, it just didn't make any sense why you would switch sprockets like that. It looks like the 441 will mod just about as good as most normal 2 cycle engines.:cheers:

No worries, I knew what you were getting at.

Every saw is different as far what you get out of them. There is no magic involved, they either mod well or they don't.
Fortunatley we have proof that the 441 and the 576 are very good modded saws, nearly as good as those they replaced.

Every saw is different as far what you get out of them. There is no magic involved, they either mod well or they don't.
Fortunatley we have proof that the 441 and the 576 are very good modded saws, nearly as good as those they replaced.

Now that's what I like to hear.:clap: How did the 441 feel in your hands compared to the 576?

I'm honestly really glad that the newer saws will respond well to porting with 2010 coming.

Right, I didnt realize that at first either. I am glad as well that we are starting to see proof the newer strato saws mod well, because one day, thats all that will be around for production (and fun) saws.

:cheers:

TS, what did ya use for a muffler mod? Got any pics? I used a husky deflector on mine but would rather have 2 of the 361 pipes like the Lake mod now....

I'll have to watch the vid when I get home, freaking blocker here won't let me.:dizzy:

EDIT: Got to watch the vid, nice! I might have to buy another!:D

I see you got one eh. When did this happen?

Well then, I believe all the take a 460 over a 441 or a 372 over a 576 if you plan on modding should be settled but is defenitely not over. I'll take the word of a proven pro such as yourself and applaud your work.

Jasha, I know you're a fan of the 460, just as I am. They repond awesomely to mods. How do you feel this saw compares to one of your similiarly modded 460s? I'm not looking for a scientific detailed analysis, just a general answer.

Jasha, I know you're a fan of the 460, just as I am. They repond awesomely to mods. How do you feel this saw compares to one of your similiarly modded 460s? I'm not looking for a scientific detailed analysis, just a general answer.

I would have to use it more to give you a truthful answer Brad. I have yet to use the 441 in a work application.
That class of saw is loaded with some dandies.

Back