MS441 vs MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes me happy. Both the 576 and 441 are Slinger approved. If he'd use them for his professional purposes, then that's definitely good enough for me.

2010 doesn't seem quite as scary now.

No worries, I knew what you were getting at.

Every saw is different as far what you get out of them. There is no magic involved, they either mod well or they don't.
Fortunatley we have proof that the 441 and the 576 are very good modded saws, nearly as good as those they replaced.

Do you feel the features carried by the new saws tip the balance away from the older saws? More advanced anti-vibe, fuel use, etc.

This is very encouraging info, and from what I gather the 576 and 441 are very close to each other. This is a good thing. Choice will probably come down to availability, dealer quality, area trends, etc.

Thanks for the hard work...:clap::clap::clap:

I see you got one eh. When did this happen?

Well, I bought Joat's old 441 a few weeks ago. Put a few tanks through it and tore it apart to see the internals and do a muffler mod. I have not had a chance to put it back together yet but hope to get it ported sometime, they are pretty sweet stock. I'm searching for the most powerful, lightest 70cc saw and a 440/460BB hybrid has my attention at the moment, looking for a clean 440 now.:dizzy: Gosh darn CAD.:dizzy::cry::givebeer:

Now I'm excited to see a MS461 or a MS661, why is STIHL so slow.

My dealer just talked to the rep and was told the 460 and 660 are safe for awhile due to the 171,181,211,441 and all the blowers and trimmers that they replaced. Said they covered themselves with the epa, not sure on the 361. Makes since, I believe my local dealers 2nd hand info especially considering the regional rep has been with stihl for over 20 yrs. So as of right now I wouldn't get to excited about the big saws getting replaced.

I'm kind of bummed! I could care less about the 460 but really wanted to see a low vibe fuel saving version of the 660 though.

They will be out. My local dealer claims 2010 is nothing compared to the 2012 restrictions. He claims you will not see a single saw from Stihls line-up except the 171, 181, 211 after 2012. Then again, we've established from threads of the past that he is an idiot...:dizzy:

My dealer just talked to the rep and was told the 460 and 660 are safe for awhile due to the 171,181,211,441 and all the blowers and trimmers that they replaced. Said they covered themselves with the epa, not sure on the 361. Makes since, I believe my local dealers 2nd hand info especially considering the regional rep has been with stihl for over 20 yrs. So as of right now I wouldn't get to excited about the big saws getting replaced.

I am pretty sure there is no such provisions in the 2010 regs.... or at least so i hear

I am pretty sure there is no such provisions in the 2010 regs.... or at least so i hear

I'm starting to believe that it's just a big rumor because of all of the other environmental regulations Obama wants to happen. Besides chainsaw manufacturers can't really be expected to have all the strato version prototypes of the current saw they make, test them, mass produce them, and ship them globally in a little over 7 months, give or take.

Maybe THALL can chime in on when but last I heard all the new saws were gonna be out sometime soon yet the reg rep seems to have info that says they're not. Maybe by 2012 but if they have a winner with the stratos out now why not bring them out ? I could care less about a fuel sipping homescaper series, I would like to see a powerhouse that doesn't require a fuel truck for a days work. I know that sounds petty but i've gotten use to the 441.

Hey Slinger, will you post a pic of the muffle mod?

Also, did you clean and polish the strato ports or are they best left alone?

Maybe THALL can chime in on when but last I heard all the new saws were gonna be out sometime soon yet the reg rep seems to have info that says they're not. Maybe by 2012 but if they have a winner with the stratos out now why not bring them out ? I could care less about a fuel sipping homescaper series, I would like to see a powerhouse that doesn't require a fuel truck for a days work. I know that sounds petty but i've gotten use to the 441.

I just know that lakeside said that there were no provisions for lower production quantities or "points" earned by other saws being clean.

Slinger:

When you did the mod, did you take the muffler apart, drill the holes, then put it back together? Or did you just drill a new hole and not use a spark arrester?

Will you post a pic of the muffler?

A couple of things, cutting close to the dry end log with the stock saw, wood can be a lot harder close to the end. Taking it kind of easy at the end of the stock saw cut, not working it very hard the last quarter of the cut. Steve

Back