MS441C-M dependability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 441 C-M and based on the reviews on the STIHL website there have been some issues with stalling and hard starting whem warm,Is this true? How many owners on here actually had issues with this saw?

Looking at buying a 441 C-M and based on the reviews on the STIHL website there have been some issues with stalling and hard starting whem warm,Is this true? How many owners on here actually had issues with this saw?

Buy a MS461R & don’t look back.

Mine was the decompression leaking
Other than that it's solid saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Mtronic saws a lot. But with the 441 I’ve heard too many negatives so I decided to get a 461, then a 461r. With the 441 you get Mtronic, better AV, little better filtration, less power and you don’t really loose any weight (vs a standard 461).

Maybe when and if they come out with a second version like they have on the 261/362 it will cut some weight and be more reliable. IDK

I've had a 441RCM for several years and it's been great. I've heard of these 441 horror stories for years but I'm afraid I can't add to the list. I had a 441 carbureted version prior and the MTronic version is a huge improvement. I have a 660 if I have something the 441 can't handle

441 is the smoothest saw Stihl makes. 461 is stronger for sure & not that much difference in price.

I too looked at the reviews the Stihl website as well as on AS. I think more than 85% of 441c
users were satisfied with their purchase on the Stihl site. So I wouldn't classify that as a saw having
so many issues that it would prevent its purchase.

I just bought a 441c

I've had nothing but success running a 28" bar in hardwoods, ported and stock from the 441c saws.

Seems like you either like them or not. But failures are few that I have heard of. Very few. But then there are fewer 441s out there I believe.

Curious, "bog" from idle or from being under load? How many tanks of fuel does your saw have on it?

Never from idle...it happens in the cut. Not a huge issue, but I had higher expectations for a 70cc pro saw, honestly. I almost went with the 461 since the prevailing wisdom seems to be that it has more "grunt" at lower rpms, but I really wanted the M-tronic and sweet AV.

I may get it ported next summer when it's gathering the wrong kind of dust. Who's a good 441 port master?

Never from idle...it happens in the cut. Not a huge issue, but I had higher expectations for a 70cc pro saw, honestly. I almost went with the 461 since the prevailing wisdom seems to be that it has more "grunt" at lower rpms, but I really wanted the M-tronic and sweet AV.

I may get it ported next summer when it's gathering the wrong kind of dust. Who's a good 441 port master?

Have you set the Mtronics? I've never had this happen. ?? Not to, certainly not to, get into an oil thread but what oil and ratio are you running? I've experienced too much oil or high of a viscosity causes a "burden" if you will on the engine in the cut.

Pull the top cover that includes the decompression valve and check for black soot on the back side away from the fan blowing to the open side of the saw
I bought a 261 c-m and a decompression plug was the first mod I did
A mm will wake up a c-m

Back