MS461R Chain Tension Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has grown from 25" to 40"?
Like I said we have been texting back and forth. He did do some 40" oak I think. This apparently is smaller....which is less harsh on the saw in a shorter cut.

But still tough to move 25" green oak rounds.

If you're stalling the saw while noodling that can put added stress on the chain and the bar can loosen. It's easy to stall with the bigger dogs of the R model when noodling. I've done it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Stihl 2-1 sharpener that handles the rakers as well. I seem to wrestle the saw into and during the cut, yet I get stuck quite often.

This can be a sign of the rakers being cut too deep. This is *real* easy to do with 2-1 sharpener that you are using. Too much downward pressure on the sharpener bends the whole sharpener thereby taking too much material off of the raker. Got the T-shirt for that already! Get the proper depth gauge tool for your specific chain and check the depth of the rakers. I suspect that you'll find them much deeper than they should be.

This can be a sign of the rakers being cut too deep. This is *real* easy to do with 2-1 sharpener that you are using. Too much downward pressure on the sharpener bends the whole sharpener thereby taking too much material off of the raker. Got the T-shirt for that already! Get the proper depth gauge tool for your specific chain and check the depth of the rakers. I suspect that you'll find them much deeper than they should be.

I added more pressure to the sharpener last night, but towards the tooth, not towards the raker, and it completely changed how the tooth looks now. I'll get pics tonight.

i think you should take the saw back to the dealer and see what they say. all the pics look like they should except it rakers do look a little low but i'll let the experts chime in.;) had the same loosening chain problem with my old 023 and thought the side cover was worn.put a new one on and it helped but not the best. sorry i can't help more.

Back