MS461R Chain Tension Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drive links, part that meshes with the sprocket. When a customer complains about a chain constantly getting loose,
it is very often caused by a problem in this area.

Tensioners are not designed to hold the bar tight in use, just hold it tight while tightening the bar nuts.......
True but the only time I have had a chain loosen that fast was when the the braising on the tensioner stud on my 046 broke and in short order the chain was hanging loose. I won't chicken and egg why it broke. And you are assuming he is tightening down the bar nuts sufficiently with that statement.

True but the only time I have had a chain loosen that fast was when the the braising on the tensioner stud on my 046 broke and in short order the chain was hanging loose. I won't chicken and egg why it broke. And you are assuming he is tightening down the bar nuts sufficiently with that statement.

Ok, well, while setting tension with the screw and then tightening the two large nuts, I can't make them any tighter using the scrench and my hands to tighten them. So without using a socket wrench or other tool, they ain't getting any tighter. :)

The drive links, part that meshes with the sprocket. When a customer complains about a chain constantly getting loose,

Ok, interesting. Now I know what you mean. I will grab pics for you tonight. Remember this is a brand new saw. I can't believe the sprocket would be worn out already, or the drive links, but then again I have much to learn.

I have experienced this much more with a spur than a rim. I'd be surprised if he has worn his sprocket enough on his first chain to cause this. But I am also frequently wrong about stuff

In looking at the pics of you chain teeth, they are not all the same, I think there may be an issue with your sharpening. Try putting the new chain on and see if it resolves your issue. And like HuskStihl says, especially for a new chain, they may stretch a little bit the first time being used.

I think your problem may be cutters not uniform &/or sharp enough, and bar nuts not tight enough. This would easily create your problem.

Ok, well, while setting tension with the screw and then tightening the two large nuts, I can't make them any tighter using the scrench and my hands to tighten them. So without using a socket wrench or other tool, they ain't getting any tighter. :)
And knowing him I'm sure his tight is as good or better than "your tight" or any other members tight. He is a big guy!

By using the saw for "Noodling", I assume that you are "ripping" logs, instead of splitting, into firewood? 25" dia.?

I would definitely look into a $900 log splitter from TSC. Much easier on everything involved.
He has a much more than $900 splitter! But you cant flip let alone move around 40" diameter red oak!!! If you can your a much better man than I or him!

By using the saw for "Noodling", I assume that you are "ripping" logs, instead of splitting, into firewood? 25" dia.?

I would definitely look into a $900 log splitter from TSC. Much easier on everything involved.

I have a brand new DirtyHands 28-Ton Log Splitter, that I am using to split these quarters. I am taking 25" diameter or larger Rounds of Red and Scarlett Oak that are anywhere from 16-20" long, and Noodling them long ways so they are manageable for me to carry them over to the splitter. Isn't that what Noodling is?

I simply said that the chain adjuster was just designed to hold the bar tight while tightening the bar nuts, nothing
about how much **** was in his britches........ So to speak...... Keeping with the underwear motif.......

Another symptom of a saw run with a shot sprocket is "pulled out" or stripped bar studs, when the big guy saw
owner keeps overtightening his bar nuts in a desperate attempt to keep his chain tight.
I am not saying that this applies here, I simply asked for pics.....

I simply said that the chain adjuster was just designed to hold the bar tight while tightening the bar nuts, nothing
about how much **** was in his britches........ So to speak...... Keeping with the underwear motif.......

Another symptom of a saw run with a shot sprocket is "pulled out" or stripped bar studs, when the big guy saw
owner keeps overtightening his bar nuts in a desperate attempt to keep his chain tight.
I am not saying that this applies here, I simply asked for pics.....
I just didnt want anyone to think he was limp wristed or only use to a plastic poulan or anything and not know how to tighten bar nuts.

J think the clutch cover would crack before the studs stripped?

Latest posts

Back