MS461R Chain Tension Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the sharpening. It gets easier and faster.

Are you sure the oiler is all the way up? With the HO oiler, you should be emptying the oil tank before burning a full tank of gas. Many of the larger, newer Stihl saws have a limiter on the oiler adjustment. There is a small metal stop that the oiler adjustment hits and prevents it from being turned all the way up. This stop must be driven in with a punch and hammer to allow the adjustment head to be maxed out.

My 661 has this, and my dealer wasn't even aware that it existed, even though it refers to it in the manual.

Good news guys. Just got a text from him saying that its back to normal now and chain is doing great. Said he noodled 15 rounds and chain did not loosen more than I think is normal. Said it was drooping 1/16-1/8" after those 15 rounds. Before that remember he got like two before it was sagging out the bar groove

Yep seems to be doing well. I cleaned it up and re sharpened it just now and dropped the chain to let the saw cool down. Apparently the boss wants to go out to lunch to make her happy. So I will pick this work back up this afternoon. Planning on finishing about 10 very large rounds out front this afternoon.

Nice job on the sharpening. It gets easier and faster.

Are you sure the oiler is all the way up? With the HO oiler, you should be emptying the oil tank before burning a full tank of gas. Many of the larger, newer Stihl saws have a limiter on the oiler adjustment. There is a small metal stop that the oiler adjustment hits and prevents it from being turned all the way up. This stop must be driven in with a punch and hammer to allow the adjustment head to be maxed out.

My 661 has this, and my dealer wasn't even aware that it existed, even though it refers to it in the manual.

Where is this limiter located at? I tried again and the oiler adjuster screw in the bottom of the saw only turns 1/4" and then stops.

Where is this limiter located at? I tried again and the oiler adjuster screw in the bottom of the saw only turns 1/4" and then stops.

Flip the saw over and look very closely at the head of the adjustment screw. Look around the clutch-cover side of the bottom plate where there is a small gap and you will see that the adjustment screw hole has a section carved out of it and there is a very small metal post that is limiting the movement of the screw head when the tab hits it.

Mine took some firm tapping with a small punch and hammer. Once driven in, I was able to turn the oil adjustment up all the way. It references this procedure in the manual for my 661.

Looked in the manual off of Partsmart, didn't see any modifications possible there, just mentioned installing the HO oil pump. Here is the blowup.

Perhaps the 461R is different, but I had the same issue with my 661, and found the solution in the manual. I can dig my manual out later and take a picture of the page. It's tough to get a picture of the area on my saw that shows the limiter.

My guess is that feature is not on the 461. I think there is enough capacity for a 32 and even a 36 . But the 661 can handle longer bars in extreme cases and they probably put that feature there for those. Like pro campers out west running 40-50" bars . But they dont want a normal consumer turning it up all the way and emptying the tank before the gas and burning up the bar and chain so they limit it. Those running bars that big know to fill oil more often.

My guess is that feature is not on the 461. I think there is enough capacity for a 32 and even a 36 . But the 661 can handle longer bars in extreme cases and they probably put that feature there for those. Like pro campers out west running 40-50" bars . But they dont want a normal consumer turning it up all the way and emptying the tank before the gas and burning up the bar and chain so they limit it. Those running bars that big know to fill oil more often.

Well there Mr. Clemson, remember the MS461R comes with a HO oiler that the regular MS461 doesn't have. My manual even talks about it, and it gives specific instructions that if you turn the HO oiler all the way up, that you should only fill the gas tank half way as the bar oil tank will empty after only a half tank of fuel is used.

I turned mine up but only the full quarter turn it allows, and the gas tank and bar oil tank almost empty at the same time. So, clearly DonnerParty is on to something here and I hope I can get mine set up to actually use the HO oiler the MS461R comes with.

Well there Mr. Clemson, remember the MS461R comes with a HO oiler that the regular MS461 doesn't have. My manual even talks about it, and it gives specific instructions that if you turn the HO oiler all the way up, that you should only fill the gas tank half way as the bar oil tank will empty after only a half tank of fuel is used.

I turned mine up but only the full quarter turn it allows, and the gas tank and bar oil tank almost empty at the same time. So, clearly DonnerParty is on to something here and I hope I can get mine set up to actually use the HO oiler the MS461R comes with.
Maybe so. I didnt realize that

I think the stop (punch) is 661 specific. If that 461 is emptying the oil tank by the time the fuel is gone, you should be just fine if using quality bar oil.

I like the TS stuff, and it is on sale now for $6/Gallon.

Glad you got the sharpening worked out. A sharp chain will resolve a lot of problems.

Read where you got the loose chain problem taken care of. :clap:

Read where you got the loose chain problem taken care of. :clap:

Well i tested this problem again. I let the chain get dull, and it immediately gets grabby in the cut, bogs down, and then the chain gets loose again in no time. I still don't think this is correct but it certainly seems it is tied to the chain being dull. Does this still make sense to you guys?

Well i tested this problem again. I let the chain get dull, and it immediately gets grabby in the cut, bogs down, and then the chain gets loose again in no time. I still don't think this is correct but it certainly seems it is tied to the chain being dull. Does this still make sense to you guys?
Good Morning Glockem45: Take your machine in to your Dealer. You've definitely got a problem.
I have a 461 r and don't have any issue with the chain becoming overly lose or anything.I would think about taking it to your dealer to have it checked out,its a new saw so it should be covered by the warrenty.
Good Morning dave1974: Very good advice. As the old saying goes: "A stitch in time , saves nine." Sounds to me like he has a few bad threads on the bar stud bolts.

Back