MS660 32" or 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a call back from the dealer. Northeast Stihl has it and it will ship tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't think it will get to the dealer till Monday. So it looks like I'll be picking it up in two weeks. I'm pretty bummed because this weekend is the only chance in the near future that I see being able to use it.

It is what it is I guess. At least I'll get to really run my saws on Saturday.

I sure hope there are .050 3/8 bars. I have one from GB that runs great on the 066. I am working on getting 8 pin rims and want to see what that might do.

Hal

What size bar? If you saw is stock your missing out! I have the 7 and 8, definitely rip's with 20" 8 pin :)

I don't care what gauge it is, as long as it gets to the dealer by Friday.

I actually asked him to look into different gauges to see if they would be more readily available. I was pleasantly surprised when he called today to say it would be shipped tomorrow. Stihl's got a part number for them, so they must be for real. I might hold off on getting the chains made though, just in case.

I am curious to see if you actually get an .050 and not .063... :)

Gary

Gary,

The part numbers for the .050 bars are:

Stihl Rollomatic ES 36" .050 guage 11T nose- 3003 000 8853

Stihl Rollomatic ES 36" .050 guage 13T nose- 3003 000 9563

B&C catalog...

What size bar? If you saw is stock your missing out! I have the 7 and 8, definitely rip's with 20" 8 pin :)

I have both a 25" and a 36" bar for the 066. And I have a 47" and a 25" for the 880.

Ordered a selection of rims for both:
3/8 7
3/8 8
404 7
404 8

Just to make some comparisons. Want to try an 8 on my 310 with a 18" bar.

Hal

50 gauge in long bars has a tendancy to throw chains more often. You'll get good at the bending the bar over your knee trick to put your chain back on. Really easy to do with a 36.

50 gauge in long bars has a tendancy to throw chains more often. You'll get good at the bending the bar over your knee trick to put your chain back on. Really easy to do with a 36.

What i have read points me towards .62 gauge. Do the stihl's come in .63 as well?

Madsens sells bars over 32" in 063 thats where I got the misconception on gauges over 32" my local shop also sell bars over 32" only in 063.

Thanks, the 13tooth is better for bore cutting but has higher chance for kickback?

True, but we will assume that since you have a 660 that you are quite capable of controlling kickback and the situations that cause it.

You do keep your thumbs wrapped, right?

True, but we will assume that since you have a 660 that you are quite capable of controlling kickback and the situations that cause it.

You do keep your thumbs wrapped, right?

Ya, i was just making sure i was correct about the differences form the different sizes.
Thanks, I asked the same guy if he had the B&C in .63. if he does ill probably get it since i like Stihl bars myself and seem to be the best.
If i can get a stihl over Oregon for same price, why not.

Gary,

The part numbers for the .050 bars are:

Stihl Rollomatic ES 36" .050 guage 11T nose- 3003 000 8853

Stihl Rollomatic ES 36" .050 guage 13T nose- 3003 000 9563

B&C catalog...

Cool beans... straight from the horses mouth... Thanks mang! :)

This is prolly the reason I've never seen a bar 36" and over in .050... nobody around here runs them. All .063...

Gary

Madsens sells bars over 32" in 063 thats where I got the misconception on gauges over 32" my local shop also sell bars over 32" only in 063.

Thats was mine too Brian... all the shops up here only sell .063 in bars over 32". I have a 32" in .050 that I run on the 044... any larger, and it's .063.

Another Westside thing I guess... :)

Gary

I heard about the higher tendency for kickback with the 13 tooth vs the 11 tooth. How much more of a risk or tendency is there though? It's probably really hard to even measure but are we talking like a 76% chance vs a 79%? I know you can't compare it like that, but I used that as an example. I guess it is all relative.

I heard about the higher tendency for kickback with the 13 tooth vs the 11 tooth. How much more of a risk or tendency is there though? It's probably really hard to even measure but are we talking like a 76% chance vs a 79%? I know you can't compare it like that, but I used that as an example. I guess it is all relative.

How i see kickback is not watching you bar tip and inexperience - the once in awhile mishap. But i have never had the chain break engage form kickback.

Latest posts

Back