MS660 or MS880 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently sold off about 40 older poulans (kept my favorites) and started buying some new stihls with the money. The ms 460 is the biggest that I have bought so far. I want to get a bigger stihl and was wanting some opinions on the 660 and the 880, which one is a better saw and is there a really big power difference in the 2. I personally have never ran or heard one. Any opinion is welcome.:monkey:

I have never run a 880, but will get one sometime. I will say this though, I have 2 660's and for big saws they handle awesome. They have great power for stump work, they handle great and are fast enough cutting to make firewood with. The 880 on the otherhand I believe will be better suited for stumpwork or milling only. The 880 runs lower RPM's so it won't shine until you put a big bar on it and bury it where you need torque only. Take it for what it's worth, but those are my observations.

I have both........If you are going to use it, not for just show or milling
IMO their is just one choice MS660.

Stan?

Unless you want the brag factor or are milling, a 660 is much easier to use. If you regularly pull a 42 inch cut or longer, then you need something stronger and with a bigger oiler like an 880.

My 880 (or 3120) do get pretty heavy after a while, but they make me grin.

Up on my soapbox for a second, really sharp chains make the 660 cut like an 880 with an average chain....:)

I recently sold off about 40 older poulans (kept my favorites) and started buying some new stihls with the money. The ms 460 is the biggest that I have bought so far. I want to get a bigger stihl and was wanting some opinions on the 660 and the 880, which one is a better saw and is there a really big power difference in the 2. I personally have never ran or heard one. Any opinion is welcome.:monkey:

MS660 winner hands down, not even close, why, chances are good you will be like me, have a 880 and never use it,LOL A MS660 will pull a 3 foot bar and do it with power. A 880 will not out cut a MS660 unless you need one helluva long bar and have one helluva big piece of wood to saw. User friendly the MS880 is not. Its big, its heavy and overall overkill for most saw users. Get the MS660. Its more than big enuff with power to boot for most any big wood sawing. Few trees would be safe from a 660. Those that are most likely are illegal to saw anyway,LOL

MS660 winner hands down, not even close, why, chances are good you will be like me, have a 880 and never use it,LOL A MS660 will pull a 3 foot bar and do it with power. A 880 will not out cut a MS660 unless you need one helluva long bar and have one helluva big piece of wood to saw. User friendly the MS880 is not. Its big, its heavy and overall overkill for most saw users. Get the MS660. Its more than big enuff with power to boot for most any big wood sawing. Few trees would be safe from a 660. Those that are most likely are illegal to saw anyway,LOL

Yup...Thall got it right on the money. I've used both and unless I'm falling some real huge old growth kind of stuff I'll take the 660 any day. It's not heavy and you can pack it on steep ground without it killing you. The 880 does make a good bucking saw though...just lay the bar up on the log, put a little run in it, and have a sandwich while it chugs it's way through.:)

Last edited:
I use the 660 and 088 mostly for taking stumps down flush with the ground. The 088 pulls like there’s no tomorrow!
If you plan to use 404, full sequence, chisel chain on a bar longer than 36” then the 880 is for you.

I use the 660 and 088 mostly for taking stumps down flush with the ground. The 088 pulls like there’s no tomorrow!
If you plan to use 404, full sequence, chisel chain on a bar longer than 36” then the 880 is for you.

How's your 088 stump as compared to your 3120?

Just curious, as not that many people own and stump with both.

Absolute no brainer 660 all the way very few have any use for an 880 unless as stated your milling alot.The 660 is a great tool everyone should have one.

How's your 088 stump as compared to your 3120?

Just curious, as not that many people own and stump with both.
Right now, the 3120 is setup for milling (dogs removed, and 3/8 ripping chain). The 088 does stump work noticeably better than the 3120 pulling the same 404 chain. But it should because the 088 has been woods ported and the 3120 is pretty much stock. I like the 660 but I would not be without either a 088 or 3120.

Yes!

For what it's worth, my 2002 088 oils intermittently. 2008 MS660 seems fine...

Check the funny wire arm thing (yes im using techical terms) that goes on the shaft which has an arm that goes into the slot in the drum, they can break the tip off and that makes them oil erratically. mine drove me nuts for ages before finding the prob.

I have 5 66's and 2 88's. I would go for the 66, as mentioned unless your running 40 inch plus bars constantly or milling, the 66 will get it done.

Back