MTD 21 Ton Wood Splitter Locked Up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rider93hawg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a MTD Yard Machines 21 ton splitter with 5HP Briggs. Yesterday I changed the hydro oil and filter. I went to start it and the rope pulled/motor turned totally normal and it coughed a little but never started. After about 50 pulls all of a sudden the pull rope locks up. It is in retract mode and I can get it to come out by pulling on it and retracting a little then more will come out. I pulled the plug to release any compression and that didn't change a thing besides me knowing why it didn't fire up. Nasty looking plug. I turned the coupler on the bottom and then I could turn motor some. I hit the lever in case there was pressure build up there. So, I know the motor isn't locked up or a knot in the rope, etc. Any ideas on what it might be? Pump locked up? It was pretty cold here yesterday as it never broke above freezing. I've had it running fine all winter. Need to get this thing going as only a few days worth of split wood left. Thanks.

It sounds like the pulley spring or the pawls aren't sitting on the friction plate correctly. I'd take the assembly apart and take a look there first, especially since you said you pulled the cord about 50 times.

Fixed it!

Thanks for the input. Took the housing off, then it pulled fine so I put it back on. Got one pull out of it then it locked up again. Next day did the same thing only I lightly tapped with a hammer around the area where the pull cord prongs latch on to and turned the fly wheel many times. It worked. Not a problem since. I think the clutch was locked up.

Back