Muddy logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The 2 log loads I got this week upon closer inspection are actually pretty dirty. Some just have a fine layer of sand but some have more of a hardened layer of mud. This is because we have had such a wet summer here in western NY. Is it worth dragging hoses and the pressure washer to actually wash the wood or just hope we have some more rainy days ahead. I am using full chisel tooth chain on my saws which I know don't like dirt.

I can hear the neighbors now. That crazy SOB has to wash his fire wood before he cuts it.

i finished off a big ass oak today. the last part was full of dirt but i went for it anyway. 3 chains later its inmy backyard. i knew it was gonna happen. so tomorrow im off to dads to use his kick ass grinder.gonna hit all 5 chains for the 455. i havent even used the little 142 in a month and a half lol.

Just my opinion but for me really dirty logs are not worth cutting for firewood. I can't stand cutting dirt! I would definitely use the pressure washer.

Right about that TC. We try to do all firewood harvests on snow or frozen ground.It's not so critical for pulping 4 footers. :clap:
The pressure washer can sometimes drive the dirt into and through the bark into the cambium making it worse for the chains. :mad: Forget carbide--they're impossible to sharpen without special gear.
The grittyest ( no grammar nazis here please :dizzy: ) trees are standing dead red and white oaks where the sand/dirt/grit gets sucked up into the cambium. :monkey:
JMNSHO

The 2 log loads I got this week upon closer inspection are actually pretty dirty. Some just have a fine layer of sand but some have more of a hardened layer of mud. This is because we have had such a wet summer here in western NY. Is it worth dragging hoses and the pressure washer to actually wash the wood or just hope we have some more rainy days ahead. I am using full chisel tooth chain on my saws which I know don't like dirt.

You're wasting your time power washing. You won't get the dirt off (just drive into the bark. Try to chip a path with an ax (this will save some sharpening but not a good answer either). might want to get about 5 chains and just keep changing.

My Dad got a log load dropped off when they logged his neighbors property this past winter. It was late in the winter and the ground was kind of soft. The logs have some mud on them. They is no water around where they are, so washing them is out of the question. We just stop every 5 or 6 cuts and hit the chain w/the file.

If you can afford to wait, try to see if you can get some good pounding rains on it. I cut down 24 elm trees on a ditch line this spring and had to pull out about 15 of them. I cut off the clean wood and left the rest long and piled them up with the loader. I went out to check them and most look pretty clean, I'll prolly get them out after we chop the corn off the field they are next to.

Kyle

I buy my wood in trailer loads of 9 foot lengths. I have had some loads that were skidded in mud and lots of winter sand/salt spray from highway hauling so yes pretty hard on chains. semi chisel takes the gaff a bit better than chisel.
What I have found that really does help is bore cutting into the cleanest spot,then doing all the rest of the cut so the teeth are pulling or pushing out through the dirty bark instead of pulling it through the whole width of the cut. It would be easy to hatchet a small entrance spot I guess. I got my clue from whoever had done the bucking from log length at the skidway. I could tell from the ends of the logs that is what they had been doing. I agree that sometimes you can easily spend as much time sharpening as cutting!

I bore cut also, around the dirty spots, just make sure you're cutting with the top of the bar when you hit the dirt so it doesn't drag it back through the saw. You can slow your chain down when you get to the dirt and let the bark break on its own. Axe method works too.

I just cut right through the dirt. Sharpen the chain later. Sucks, but it is the fastest way to get done.

thanks for the ideas. Hopefully there will be some more soaking rains to help remove some of the crud. I will probably cut off some of the cleaner ends and let the rest weather.

Back