Muffler Modd Screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any s/s screen will work without it you can throw some sparks.Cutting on state forest most require it.

Last edited:
the 044-084 screens will bolt under most big exhaust deflectors

Tea Ball

I just used stainless steel screen from a tea ball.
You can buy a tea ball for $1 or $2.
Noko

Depending on how much you open up the muffler, you run an increased risk of something getting into the cylinder during storage or transit. The screen will prevent this.

Some people say you have to have them or itll start a fire.

I live in a really dry area most of the time and have ran a couple of my saws with no screen for 3 yrs no prob, but its up to you!

Any open flame should not pass thru a stainless steel screen of the proper size. Some of the older gas cans had screens built into the pour spout, I assumed that was to keep bigger particles from leaving the can, not so, its for fire prevention, An old miner taught me that is why the old acetylene lamps had screens surrounding the flame, to prevent starting a fire in an underground mine. Had to try it for myself, could not get a match flame to pass thru a spark arresting screen.

I just used stainless steel screen from a tea ball.
You can buy a tea ball for $1 or $2.
Noko

Great tip,I'm always looking for ways to make use of commonly available sources of material.For example,I have made some recoil shields from cutting up an expanded metal waste basket.A lot of useful stuff is out there,you just have to be able to recognize its potential.

Latest posts

Back