muffler plugs? in the 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wood junky

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
From another thread:

attachment.php

attachment.php

what are the plugs in the muffler- I took them out an noticed no difference-

what is the design purpose?? EPA?
K

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just to stop crud from building up in front of the screw heads in there, I believe.
I removed them from my muffler to get to the screws, and didn't bother to put them in again.....

ScottWojo

ScottWojo

ArboristSite Guru
The Plugs do not block exhaust gasses.

The plugs block up the area where you can get at the torx screws that hold the muffler on to the cylinder. I would guess it saves money on labor at the fastory and keeps dirt out of the holes.

When you get your muffler you will have to pick up those plugs at the dealer. to pop em back in.

Scott.

wood junky

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
The Plugs do not block exhaust gasses.

The plugs block up the area where you can get at the torx screws that hold the muffler on to the cylinder. I would guess it saves money on labor at the fastory and keeps dirt out of the holes.

When you get your muffler you will have to pick up those plugs at the dealer. to pop em back in.

Scott.

Still got them and so that is where they put the screws.

thanks for the clarity gentlemen.
K

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
So long as they are the 3-tab type... if a 361 is from the 1st year of production, they were soild and after a bit of rust, a real BI?TCH to get out - drill them if that's the case.