Mulberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
burned some mulberry last night that i got from a friend in february. first time i burned it, and was very happy. nice coals, long burn time. and i used some to smoke chicken this summer. it was delicious. i like mulberry!

ya I like mullberry to, it throws sparks just like hedge, but doesnt burn as hot. it also looks like hedge in the inside, so yellow. but it does burn hot.

Mulberry is a fine plant, good wood for burning and building, primo berries for health and vitality.
Mulberry wine
""" jam
antioxidants

two mulberry leaves before a meal help stabalize blood sugar.

the berries also aid in the metabolizing of alcohol.

Last edited:
Mulberry is one of my favorites. Has decent heat, coals well, and starts easy. It can be a little tough to split (stringy) but I don't worry much about that anymore.

Don

Last edited:
burned some mulberry last night that i got from a friend in february. first time i burned it, and was very happy. nice coals, long burn time. and i used some to smoke chicken this summer. it was delicious. i like mulberry!

Cut mulberry in late June. Cut the same sized oak round, say 22" dia. Dimes to donuts, the mulberry round will outweigh the oak. Mulberry drinks water like a fish and has lots of space in its fibers to hold it.

Best pork loin roast I ever tasted was one that I smoked with slightly dry (but not all the way) seasoned mulberry chunks.

Isnt there a difference between the males and females? Doesnt one stink really bad and the other is great? :confused:

Mulberry does seem to take a fairly long time to dry. This is especially true in my woodshed which is an old open front cattle shed. After sorting some pieces out for two seasons to put into the next years stack, it really illustrated to me to let the firewood dry outside in the breeze and sun and then bring it in when it is ready to burn.

I love smoked pork over mulberry. I am going to try some apple sometime now that I scored a pickup load.

Don

i posted earlier this year bout the male/female thing. i though i had heard that before, on this site, but everyone who responded dispelled that notion. i will try it with pork next!

Isnt there a difference between the males and females? Doesnt one stink really bad and the other is great? :confused:

I haven't been sniffing trees much to know for sure but from experience , females do smell nice most always.

I do know some wood will turn sour in the log. The more moisture you get out of it sooner, the better it is for smoking.

Mulberry is very common here in PA. and is a very good fuelwood. Yes, like stated earlier it's a real ballbuster to lift when it's green because of all the water, and remains pretty heavy even when seasoned. I always marvel at the way that the cut or split sides turn color from yellow to reddish-brown; one of Mother Nature's treats.

Latest posts

Back