Murphy Strikes Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Murphy knows exactly the best time to strike. I've got 6-7 loads of firewood on the side of my driveway and my splitter is down. I posted here in chainsaw section because I got great responses on my chainsaws repairs. If you want to move it to the Firewood equipment section. I think of that as for more hydraulic problems and this for engine.

Any way, a part on my log splitter engine broke. It's not the original engine so splitter brand isn't important. The engine is off a power washer and it's a B&S Quantum XTE 6.o Hp engine. That's all the id I could find. The carb is only attached by one bolt so the carb vibrates a lot. No hole is tapped for a second one.

The tube coming out of the back side of the carb leading to the engine block broke off. Hope pictures show it well. Anyone know what the part name is, part number, etc.

In the meantime, I'm going to try cleaning it up, roughing it up and gluing it with Seal All. Then a coat of JB Weld goes over the top just as suggested for my leaky gas tank.
IMG_9710.JPGIMG_9712-2.JPGIMG_9714.JPG

Murphy knows exactly the best time to strike. I've got 6-7 loads of firewood on the side of my driveway and my splitter is down. I posted here in chainsaw section because I got great responses on my chainsaws repairs. If you want to move it to the Firewood equipment section. I think of that as for more hydraulic problems and this for engine.

Any way, a part on my log splitter engine broke. It's not the original engine so splitter brand isn't important. The engine is off a power washer and it's a B&S Quantum XTE 6.o Hp engine. That's all the id I could find. The carb is only attached by one bolt so the carb vibrates a lot. No hole is tapped for a second one.

The tube coming out of the back side of the carb leading to the engine block broke off. Hope pictures show it well. Anyone know what the part name is, part number, etc.

In the meantime, I'm going to try cleaning it up, roughing it up and gluing it with Seal All. Then a coat of JB Weld goes over the top just as suggested for my leaky gas tank.
View attachment 847829View attachment 847831View attachment 847832
I think that you need to find a way to add a brace to the carburetor end of the pipe. Should there have been one there and isn't?

I think that you need to find a way to add a brace to the carburetor end of the pipe. Should there have been one there and isn't?
I think you're right. There was no support. Maybe there's something I can find to wedge in there. But this engine I bought 2nd hand from the mechanic who had my chainsaw for 9-10 months.

That's a consumer grade engine, made to run till it breaks and toss out. Wile they are great when working, you'll find out they lack endurance. It will eventually start the nickle and dime game. Cheers with whatever you decide, parts are still plentiful and cheap enough.

Usually happens when something is dropped on the a/f hsg. Part is readily available from a Briggs dealer.

I didn't want to wait a week for a dealer so I went ahead and glued it with JB Weld yesterday. Got it back together and it fired right up. I had a length of metal banding around so I cut a small piece and bent it in half and the two layered piece was just enough to wedge under the carb end of the pipe. So I'm splitting tomorrow.

Back