Murphy's law strikes again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It figures, now that the weather is ideal for splitting wood, my 4-wheeler that I pull my splitter around with, took a dumper. It has always ran great but for some reason it just quit the other day :deadhorse: . To make a long story short, I havent been able to get spark. I replaced the coil/plug wire, with no success. I'm thinking it most likely the stator (magneto) but I havent dove that deep into the machine yet :confused: Maybe I'll wait until spring to deal with the four wheeler and just tote the splitter around my woods with my bobcat. The only downside to pulling the splitter with the bobcat is I'll have to drive in reverse wherever I go, and drill a large enough hole in my bobcat bucket to fit a 2" ball shaft.

Maybe if I play this right, I can convince the wife to let me trade off my old four wheeler for a new one. I could justify it by telling her a four wheeler is a necessary part of the whole money saving, aspect of burning wood.

Last edited:
Maybe if I play this right, I can convince the wife to let me trade off my old four wheeler for a new one. I could justify it by telling her a four wheeler is a necessary part of the whole money saving, aspect of burning wood.

Well, that would normally work with this wife except today our toilet is backed up, the city just levied a sewer assessment on us that will cost us around $13,000, our patio roof is leaking and for some reason hubby's doctors and hospital's want us to pay our bills with them :( and in the meantime I am trying to save up for a wood stove........ But I think your reasoning might work in your case.

Shari

Could be the CDI (a common problem). I like the way you think as far as convincing the wife to let you trade it off. And if you are real nice to her, she just might let you get away with it.:)

log splitter

It figures, now that the weather is ideal for splitting wood, my 4-wheeler that I pull my splitter around with, took a dumper. It has always ran great but for some reason it just quit the other day :deadhorse: . To make a long story short, I havent been able to get spark. I replaced the coil/plug wire, with no success. I'm thinking it most likely the stator (magneto) but I havent dove that deep into the machine yet :confused: Maybe I'll wait until spring to deal with the four wheeler and just tote the splitter around my woods with my bobcat. The only downside to pulling the splitter with the bobcat is I'll have to drive in reverse wherever I go, and drill a large enough hole in my bobcat bucket to fit a 2" ball shaft.

Why dont you just buy a new quick attach plate and build a small skid and you can mount it on the bob kitty with a dual swivel wheel set up from a bush hog? and carry it that way? and then you can send the money you save to me for a new kubota to replace my 17 year old wheel horse? :clap:

FYI TWIYL will not buy the above argument or any other woman for that matter unless they are staring doom(meaning no other alternative period) in the face-been there done that.

leon

:cheers: :agree2: :givebeer:

What brand,year and model 4 wheeler?

Its a 2000 polaris, 425 expedition, about 3k miles. The only model that polaris made with a 5 speed manual transmission. I was doing some searching on a atv forum and did try disconnection a wire coming from the CID, didnt seem to make a difference. I havent really spent much time troubleshooting the machine yet. Right now I'd rather spend time cutting/splitting firewood. The weather conditions around here are ideal for working outside. No snow yet, the ground is frozen, and temps in the 20's. As long as I have the time now I'll be "wooding". Maybe when we get blasted with snow, I'll tear into the wheeler. Unless of course, someone has a easy answer to my problem.

check the kill switch. I am not being funny. I spent 3 days tearing down a machine only to find I had the switch turned off. Also put a full charge on the battery, that can make a difference sometimes.

Murphy's Laws for Firewood Burning

Murphy's Laws for Firewood Burning:

(1) A green log gets to the stove before anything that's dry in the wood pile.

(2) The day you want to cut wood is the day you run out of chain oil along with all the suppliers in town.

(3) Your stove will refuse to heat only when your neighbors and guests want to feel its radiant warmth.

(4) Your campfire pit takes only short logs and you cut all of yours 22" for the stove.

(5) A skunk will always arrive at the woodpile and spray the dog the day you wanted to enjoy the firepit.

(6) The tree trimmer will arrive to help trim branches on the day your chainsaw refuses to start.

(7) You just found a gorgeous tree on the ground only to discover that you filled the chain saw's gas tank with bar oil and the oil tank with gas.

(8) An axe head remains firmly in place only if you are swinging at elm; it always comes loose when a batch of red oak and maple rounds are there for the taking.

(9) The heaviest log from the truck is the only one capable of finding your foot when you try to unload.

Forum. Please add to this list as you see fit. :greenchainsaw:

Murphy's Laws for Firewood Burning:

(1) A green log gets to the stove before anything that's dry in the wood pile.

(2) The day you want to cut wood is the day you run out of chain oil along with all the suppliers in town.

(3) Your stove will refuse to heat only when your neighbors and guests want to feel its radiant warmth.

(4) Your campfire pit takes only short logs and you cut all of yours 22" for the stove.

(5) A skunk will always arrive at the woodpile and spray the dog the day you wanted to enjoy the firepit.

(6) The tree trimmer will arrive to help trim branches on the day your chainsaw refuses to start.

(7) You just found a gorgeous tree on the ground only to discover that you filled the chain saw's gas tank with bar oil and the oil tank with gas.

(8) An axe head remains firmly in place only if you are swinging at elm; it always comes loose when a batch of red oak and maple rounds are there for the taking.

(9) The heaviest log from the truck is the only one capable of finding your foot when you try to unload.

Forum. Please add to this list as you see fit. :greenchainsaw:

You finally get good at sharpening your chain and chip a rock which causes the chain to seperate thus driving the effectivness of your sharpening right though your chaps.

Latest posts

Back