Must be time to rekindle the old 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you have sharp teeth ................ I'm a bit behind with a U-Tube acct and as always me batteries are flat possibly dead ..... but should it happen i'll keep you in mind and don't forget Bob starts with a capital B
I'll give you a capital when you give me a vid:D

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Ya done a nice job on the old thing ...................... haven't you noticed but I never said the Chinese stuff was better just another saw to do a job ..............

Ya done a nice job on the old thing ...................... haven't you noticed but I never said the Chinese stuff was better just another saw to do a job ..............

That's what's funny here. You get this crap started and then try to duck out based on semantics. That's why all the grey-beards here ignore your thread. Here is how you got the reactions started; "090's are 090's at 137cc and that's what I have 070's with 090 top ends .... plus 090 flywheels and starter assy's .... so 090's except for the oil line for the oiler is copper tube as of the 070"

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first opportunity to participate in these provocative threads, but from what I understand you have not a single OEM part on your saws. For the record, that's fine with me, but you say that you have 070's with 090 top ends. You didn't start with an 070. You didn't put an 090 top end on it. You started with a cheap knock-off an 070 and put a cheap 66mm top end on it. That's the difference. Better, worse, or the same, you can't say that you have an 070 with an 090 top end on it because you don't have either. You do have a 137cc chainsaw. You don't have a Stihl 090.

Grey beards I reakon most here don't even shave and possibly still wet behind the ears I'd say ..................... I just get sick of people bagging the Chinese but if your filthy rich with money to burn go for it.

Do you own a Merc Gologit I feel sorry for ya old fella ......................

I get your fond of the chinja stuff, thats your choice i'm not taking that away from you ...you earned that legend yourself ... but really "b"OB your gone from avid Mac collector with a shed full of great mac iron and kart saws and your own site page about good classic iron + whatever else your into, and now your getting all creamed about chinese fake stihls .
Its like ..The one eyed Mac man :bowdown: THE THUNDER FROM DOWNUNDER, has gone " The Thunderious one eyed trouser snake from china " .. MAC MAN KART SAW MAN TO FAKE CHINGADINGA FAN BOY chinga chinga chinga bang bang :popcorn:

View attachment 322385 View attachment 322386 Thats my saw in the vid its one of my old mans old 090s its 100% the real thing,I restored it a few years ago....Id like to get one of the chinese 070/090 into my old mans hand's a man that made his living logging with 090's for many years...And get his opinion on how good they are to the real thing...The only thing he can be bad tempered at times and it could get chopped up with an ax if it doesn't perform to his liking lol.....He expects alot from his saw's there is no its an ok saw they have to work and do as he ask of them and more our he will just walk out of the bush with out it ,and get a saw that fits he's needs...haha....
What a classic example of a true classic the 090 was the last of a era in real saws not like the throw away saws of today to much plastic not enough metal :rock:

So basically.........with all those engineers graduating in China...... They can't copy a saw. Or make one as god as the Germans did 50 years ago.

And the lunar landing........where did they copy the technology?? Why did it take them 50 years to copy the feat.

We are sending stuff to Mars.

Voyager has left the solar system.

Where did they go to school?
In the free world.

Night all....

What a classic example of a true classic the 090 was the last of a era in real saws not like the throw away saws of today to much plastic not enough metal :rock:
I get your fond of the chinja stuff, thats your choice i'm not taking that away from you ...you earned that legend yourself ... but really "b"OB your gone from avid Mac collector with a shed full of great mac iron and kart saws and your own site page about good classic iron + whatever else your into, and now your getting all creamed about chinese fake stihls .
Its like ..The one eyed Mac man :bowdown: THE THUNDER FROM DOWNUNDER, has gone " The Thunderious one eyed trouser snake from china " .. MAC MAN KART SAW MAN TO FAKE CHINGADINGA FAN BOY chinga chinga chinga bang bang :popcorn:

You got anything else nice to say about me and and I thought you were a nice guy ........................ duh

Last edited:
The one thought that I would put out there regarding Chinese anything is that there are a multitude of factories in china that will produce anything you could possibly want, to any standard you specify. Remember, the big boys assemble many saws etc in China, provin g the Chinese can work to a high standard. Currently we see cheap knock off of 365 Huskies and 038 Stihls on ebay in the $150-200 delivered to your door range, (I'm in Australia). Most are fit only to melt down into toy cars. The genuine products are probably around the $1300 price point. My view is that if the Chinese lifted their quality, (which doubtless they could, you don't become the world's oldest civilisation without learning a trick or two along the way) and marketed at say the $600-800 price point, all the big boys would have a real issue on their hands.
I am a boilermaker welder by trade and have seen the quality of Chinese produced welders soar. For sure there are the throw away junkers, but I have also seen of late, welders priced at a little higher pricing point, but still well below Miller and Lincoln for example, where the design and finish of circuit boards is identical, (to the extent of being plug and play even!) to Lincoln welders.
I don't particularly believe it is in the best interests or our respective countries as we are both, (USA and AUS), losing our manufacturing industries at an unsustainable rate. What I am saying is do not underestimate what the Chinese are capable of quality wise. I see the current situation as being similar to when Japanese cars were first imported after the war. They were seen as rubbish and ridiculed. Ten years later, who dominated the global car industry? Add another ten or twenty years and the Koreans gave the Japanese a bloody nose. Now I believe a sleeping giant is awakening in the Chinese manufacturing industry, previously hamstrung by lack of water, but now, with the completion of the Three Rivers Dam they have water and electricity in abundance.
Sadly, I believe it will be a case of "watch this space and hang on to your hat!" when we speak of Chinese manufacturing infiltrating our countries, (once our own industry is dead, then price will be at the discretion of Chairman Mao's successor!!!).
For the record, my stable is comprised of Husqvarna, Dolmar and Echo and my welding machines are comprised of American, Japanese and Australian manufactured machines, so I have no vested interest in talking up the Chinese.

The one thought that I would put out there regarding Chinese anything....

Thanks Karl. That's an excellent post and a very informed & well thought out point of view. I want to make sure my stand is clear though; I didn't claim the Chinese are incapable of producing quality products (I agree with you and believe quite the opposite) - I stated that I don't believe their knock-off Stihl saws are of equivalent quality as OEM, plain and simple.

On your point about the move in China to bring water and electricity to the masses though I have a slightly different 'fear', if you will. As the people of China begin to have what we in predominantly first-world countries have they will live better lives, have greater opportunities, and be able to demand better for themselves. They will produce more of an educated society, better benefits, higher wages, etc.....

In light of all of that I don't think it will become a matter of them demanding whatever price they wish. I think it will become a matter of a huge hit to the global economy because we will lose our low cost provider. It'll become a game of leap-frog to move manufacturing around until we all have no choice but to bring it all home. And then we begin to have real issues because our workers won't/can't work for less, but we can't afford to support our accustomed lifestyles when paying premium prices. Poetic justice if you ask me!

Latest posts

Back