My 260 eats flippy caps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, by the way. It was the fuel cap. I never had a problem with the oil cap.

I would be checking the measurements and alignment on that fuel tank. The way those caps work the tank lugs engage the lugs on the cap and apply pressue when you flip the flippy part down. If the material is out of spec the tank leaks or the cap is under too much stress.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

Mr. HE:cool:

I had the oil cap on my MS250 disintegrate in my hand at the start of the day. At the time, it was my only saw. Thank goodness the store was about 3 miles away and open at the time.

Now I see why they are hated so.

Whose bright Idea was it to go to the Rube Goldberg cap when they had a perfectly good, normal cap??? Was it because they weren't making enough money selling saws?

I would be checking the measurements and alignment on that fuel tank. The way those caps work the tank lugs engage the lugs on the cap and apply pressue when you flip the flippy part down. If the material is out of spec the tank leaks or the cap is under too much stress.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

Mr. HE

Yes it is very tight. I have to open and close it about 10 time to get it to stop leaking. After about 30-50 tank fulls it won't seal anymore, so I have to put a new one in. The O ring still looks good though.

I have a 260 pro that is very hard to close the gas cap. Its really hard to get that last bit of turn for it to lock in. Then when I open its a bit hard to pull out. Never broken, but a PITA. My 440 works flawless.

Lance

I have a 260 pro that is very hard to close the gas cap. Its really hard to get that last bit of turn for it to lock in. Then when I open its a bit hard to pull out. Never broken, but a PITA. My 440 works flawless.

Lance

I hear you. The 260 was my first saw and it made me hate flippy caps. Now I have 9 Stihl saws (6 with flippy caps) and not a single one other than the 260 has given me a problem. On all my other saws I love the things. Quick and easy, and never leak. Some have over 400 fills on them.

Glad to see it's not just me and my 260, then. It's always been the gas cap for mine until yesterday, I went to pick it up and the oil had run out of it. The oil cap had cracked/split and left just enough gap for the oil to come out, so 2 or 3 gas caps to an oil cap are my numbers.

I remember having a huge discussion about the flippy caps years ago and
still say I prefer the older caps, even the screw-ons on my MS180 beat the
flippy caps. The MS250 I used to have managed to get crud down in around
the caps no matter what I did. I took pictures of the crud getting down in but
I have since lost those pictures and sold the saw so unless they've made
changes I probably still wouldn't like them.

Latest posts

Back