My Aching Back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chilling

For me my biggest pain and it took me years to know what was causing it is getting a chill on my lower back or shoulder/ neck muscle.
When I cut wood in winter my lower back is not that well insulated from bending over wile cutting I am a tall guy and my coat does ride up a bit leaving my kidney lower back exposed to cold same with driving with the window open a crack I like fresh air.
I discovered this years ago when I had a water bed it was warm and comfy but when I woke and moved around a cool house my back and Neck muscles would start to give me problems you could feel them tighten up and it hurt like H***.
I always wear a long tailed vest now when cutting, same thing I wear wile hunting and dressing game.I know you work up a sweat cutting or dressing game, but I have learned at least for me to keep a bit warm the bigger the muscle the more pain I have if it get's chilled.
Of course this is just what works for me every body is different.
But as mentioned before do some stretches and go a bit slower I am not 20 any more but think I am!

Last edited:
Swamp Yankee - You didn't say if you had a splitter? One of my best fixes for back pain was cutting mine apart - And rebuilding it to fit me. Raised the bed up to waist height, added a loglift, a 'woodcatcher' grate on the front, and lastly, i made it self propelled. No more lifting that tounge weight & pushing or pulling it. I split a halfcord a day now, thats it. Used to do 2 or more. 2 trips to the o.r. for my back cured me of the 'I'm still 18 syndrome' Bucking up logs now gets me worse than splitting. Anything over 6 or 8 inches, I'm on one knee. At 6' 2", that bending angle for bucking is a killer. If your backpain comes from inflamation, ice is better than heat. Ibuprofin never helped mine, but raised hell with my stomach. There was one of the nisid drugs called Bextra that helped a lot, darn near made me feel normal, but the Vioxx suit took it out too. I don't do pain pills [only right after the surgery's] mostly because when it hurts, I stop. If it didn't hurt, I'd keep going. We bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress too, lot of $$$, but that helps too. No matter how bad mine gets by the end of the day, laying on that mattress really helps. I've tried to mechanize my wood/sawmill stuff as much as I can, the "I can lift that log" days are over.

Swamp Yankee - You didn't say if you had a splitter? One of my best fixes for back pain was cutting mine apart - And rebuilding it to fit me. Raised the bed up to waist height, added a loglift, a 'woodcatcher' grate on the front, and lastly, i made it self propelled. No more lifting that tounge weight & pushing or pulling it. I split a halfcord a day now, thats it. Used to do 2 or more. 2 trips to the o.r. for my back cured me of the 'I'm still 18 syndrome' Bucking up logs now gets me worse than splitting. Anything over 6 or 8 inches, I'm on one knee. At 6' 2", that bending angle for bucking is a killer. If your backpain comes from inflamation, ice is better than heat. Ibuprofin never helped mine, but raised hell with my stomach. There was one of the nisid drugs called Bextra that helped a lot, darn near made me feel normal, but the Vioxx suit took it out too. I don't do pain pills [only right after the surgery's] mostly because when it hurts, I stop. If it didn't hurt, I'd keep going. We bought a Tempur-Pedic mattress too, lot of $$$, but that helps too. No matter how bad mine gets by the end of the day, laying on that mattress really helps. I've tried to mechanize my wood/sawmill stuff as much as I can, the "I can lift that log" days are over.

Mike
Thanks for the thoughts. Yep got a T'Wolf TW-P1. Have the out feed grate and use the Kubota to tow it where it needs to go. Bigger wood I've been rolling in the bucket so it's more of a transfer move than a dead lift.
I am toying with the idea of some ramps that i can pull the splitter up on with the tractor to make it higher. Though not as high as I would like, it's not as bad as a lot of splitters. You're correct, the out feed grate makes all the difference in the world.

Cutting and bucking hasn't been a huge problem as long as I keep my weight pretty well balanced.

Thanks to all that responded it's been a great help.

Take Care

Some neat advice here, and plenty of back stories around. Some old macho moves when younger when we thought we're immortal come to haunt the old farts here.
Some things have worked from rehab, from sports injuries, from humping too much wood when I could have done it with my brain. I try to stay away from meds if possible. That's me.

First, never, ever lie down or stay sitting when you're in "normal" pain. Get up and walk, with hiking poles, or whatever. Stay moving easily and slow if you have to. The docs tell you NOT to be immobile when the back is in pain.

Second, do what the pros do when muscles or joints hurt: ice. After games NFL players will get into an ice filled "bath", or ice the hurt parts.

Third, get a professional back brace if needed that's like a old fashioned girdle with steel or fiberglass rods to prevent twisting. Forget the cheap back devices that weight lifters use or that you see on loading docks. They do little.

Finally, get a good hot tub. After the icing, a nice soak in a say 110 F water does everything good for the next round.

Oh, get a good book like the Kama Sutra that shows alternative positions.:popcorn:
Just one man's opinion from the trench.:monkey:

I find myself going to the Chiropractor a few time a year. It only took one visit this past December to make me a believer again. Might not be for everyone, but it sure helped me last month when I was as crooked as a mountain road.

beer only advice i can give 53 yrs old back hurts every time i cut wood
only vast quantities when i am done makes it feel better
bob

QUOTE=Swamp Yankee;1295796]I'm trying the I refuse to get old method, but Mother Nature isn't helping.

Looking for a suggestions particularly from those more "experienced" (nice term for old ___), that have back issues and how you deal with them when working with wood.

About 6 years ago I went down for over a year with a disk and sciatic issue. Finally got back on my feet and have been cutting, though not to the extent that I would like. Anyway, before I start and when I finish, I stretch my back and legs as the physical therapist taught me. I try not to overdo it in terms of lifting and bending, but hey there's only so much you can do.

Anybody else care to share some helpful hints or practices they use to keep from getting laid up with back issues.

Take Care[/QUOTE]

Right from the doc..... stretch first and take some ibuprofin beforehand. Works great for me.

I never mix drugs with work. I'm only a 28 year old transmission lineman, but usually taking drugs prior to work can mask other problems that might arise. Sore elbows, knees, whatever.

I only take em before bed if I can't sleep.

I find deep stretches work well, pacing yourself after a long break works well also.

I loved cutting stacking and burning wood till July of 2002. After 5 months of dealing with local doctors and more doctors and taking numerous pills and having snake rattles pointed and shook around me and red magic dust blown into my face , I headed down below to the city to find out why I'm coughing up blood. Down below twenty minutes later I am told I have "Wegners Granulamotois". Bottom line very rare, disease, no cure, don't know reason for contracting it, one treatment chemo and lots of prednisone, kidneys are shot (6.7) and you have a 10% chance to live till next week.....I didn't split wood in '03.
Fast forward a year of chemo and prayers worked, kidneys came back to 2.4 Wegners in remission, survived till 06 barely, kidneys failed no function, received one of my sisters kidney ( can't describe that act of kindness) in August 2006 that is when my second life started. Rheumatoid arthritis is a side effect of Wegners. I now have a OWB and here is how I do it. A Kubota excavator with hydraulic thumb, Timberwolf log splitter, mason dump and refusing to quit when I hurt and get stiff. Once I start I can't stop moving not even for lunch or I will stiffenup and walk bent over. 8pm is normal bed time BUT I AM ALIVE with a wood hog OWB and do it all myself. I do know my limit since the anti rejection medicine that keeps me alive is my best friend and also my worst enemy. I keep going till the new kidney says "STOP" but that is usally early evening. Thats my story and thanks to my sister I got to bore you with it.

I listened to the physical therapist and the chiropractor. I do excercises for my entire back laying on an excercise ball. Work a whole day cuttin and bunchin. Tired, fatigued, a little sore, slight tension headache. Before bed, get on the ball and do my excercises. Pain is GONE, feel good, sleep good, wake up feeling great.
Do this 4 to 5 days/week, no more back pain. I used to have TERRIBLE mid to lower back pain. If I do my excercises, no pain. Awesome. Started with no weights, then 2 pounders, then 5 pounders. You have to keep up with it.

Kodiakken is right, strong stomach muscles are a real key to eliminating back pain. I was a manufacturers rep in my first career and while never really out of shape, I was sitting a lot at at desks, in cars and planes and put on a little weight. I really started having lower back spasms and sciatic nerve problems. I then started a landscape business that involved transferring and spreading lots of mulch. I found, if you keep your back straight and follow the old advice of lifting with your legs, you really feel your abs working. After a few months, my back issues virtually disappeared. I'm in my 5th year landscaping and physically I feel better than ever and I'm in my mid 50's. If somebody could invent a machine that mimicked shoveling, I think a lot of back pain could be alleviated!

I blew a disk in my neck I think C7 went towards my spine making my right arm go numb. Luckily I was strong like bull and only needed traction and physical therapy not surgery. My arm still goes numb after a long day cutting wood from the vibration of the saw. I purchased a total gym and try to use it 30 minutes a day, I also stretch before and after any physical activity, drink plenty of water. I also got a stihl ms 441 recently and even though I'm still breaking it in I can feel the difference in vibration over my older saws.

I'm in this group too and agree with just about everything.

Couple a things I'll throw out that weren't mentioned is using one of those girdle like corsets around your abdomen. I was issued one and its helped me stay healthy in the woods as well as in other labors.

Also don't over do it, take breaks. Always bend over by bending you knee's NOT your back. Keep the back straight all the time.

...stay thirsty my friends.

i start out splitting a little by hand with a maul.seems to stretch the back out.inversion tables also help a lot.

:agree2: Seems to me that we're designed to lift stuff behind us, which is same effort as swinging downward with maul. Using the abdominals.

Watch movers sometime. Note how they carry loads behind them with slings up and over shoulders.

A pulpwood-hook saves a lot of bending over to pick up sticks, by making your arm longer, in effect.

Sometimes you just gotta admit that it's over for today, but tomorrow you'll last longer. Part of growing up.

1. Yoga!- yep it works especially the morning of splitting and cutting.

2. Remember — Archimedes..."Give me a place to stand, and I will move the earth". I Always use a a lever (peavey ) and a or a ramp to move the big stuff.

3. Set up your station so it's smooth and easy, I always set up rounds on each next to the splitter like a table so big rounds don't fall on the ground but lay down next to the beam. Less bending over is best. Also set up a stairway of small to large rounds and splits to roll your big rounds up to the beam of the splittler.

4. Strong core and use your legs to lift not your back.

5. Of course pack the ibuprofen!

I've said it before,

Tablespoon of honey & 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon twice a day for a couple weeks, then once a day.

I'm trying the I refuse to get old method, but Mother Nature isn't helping.

Looking for a suggestions particularly from those more "experienced" (nice term for old ___), that have back issues and how you deal with them when working with wood.

About 6 years ago I went down for over a year with a disk and sciatic issue. Finally got back on my feet and have been cutting, though not to the extent that I would like. Anyway, before I start and when I finish, I stretch my back and legs as the physical therapist taught me. I try not to overdo it in terms of lifting and bending, but hey there's only so much you can do.

Anybody else care to share some helpful hints or practices they use to keep from getting laid up with back issues.

Take Care

i feel your pain, man. i spent two weeks crawling on my hands and knees. i've been injured quite a bit in my life, but that back pain was the worse ever. 5 weeks later i felt fine.

do the daily stretches your PT showed you...you'll be glad you did.

Latest posts

Back