My ash tree started leaking sap, why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinpa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning.

I have been parking under the same Ash tree for about 8 years now with no problems or concerns. Now all of a sudden it started leaking sap all over my vehicle on a daily basis.

I am wondering if there is any consensus on why, or what this may mean? I know the emerald ash borer was just found in my area and am not sure if this can be related. I would hate to remove the tree if is not 100% necessary.

Sounds like a scale/aphid problem.Scale insects are so prolific that they quite often cover twigs and branches. The insect lives under the shell like structure and suck the plant juices from the twigs; And secrete a substance called honeydew which is high in sugar content and sticky. A sooty mold may also grow on the honeydew.
Any sign of insect activity?Ant and wasp populations that seek the honeydew are often found in association with this scale insect. The scales are difficult to control after the insect has constructed the scale..there are various sprays.soil drenches that are available,most are toxic...Soil drenches may be an easier ploy,as there is no after spray.
aphids are soft bodied and can be controlled by refined oils,insecitidial soaps..I use neem oil works well.

12 Month Tree & Shrub Insect Control Landscape Formula | Bayer Advanced

This is assuming scale/aphids are the problem.......

I would have to say it closer to the honeydew characterization.

My friend the tree man will be back in town next week. I will ask him to go up and have a look around and hopefully will remember to post what he finds back here.

I have an Ash tree in my yard that is finally coming down Saturday, it has EAB i've been too busy taking care of everyone elses trees to take care of my own.

Last edited:
I have an Ash tree in my yard that is finally coming down Saturday, it has EAB i've been too busy taking care of everyone elses trees to take care of my own.

Is there something specific I can look for or should 'see' when the EAB is present. It has been recently 'officially' found in our area.

Back