My BIL, a good guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 260, but no spare parts. I can help with a few bucks. I'll follow this thread to see where it goes.

Kevin

I have an almost complete 250 in a box ,was not running when I got it , no use to me so I'll throw it in if needed .

:cheers:

I'm pretty well checked out on the homeowner saws. I'd be glad to build the 250 if that is the way you guys want to go.

You guys are great! Look at all the people and options we've got lined up before the OP has even checked back in. This should be fun for him and his BIL. This is what AS is all about.

I'm in

I don't own a Stihl, hence no parts, but if you can set up a paypal or an address I'll send 10 bucks to help with whatever, more if needed, let me know where to send. JR

Nice gesture from you guys, but I can't help thinking I'd be sure the man actually wants a gift before setting anything. up. Some people might take offense to such a thing.

Relax, Space

Nice gesture from you guys, but I can't help thinking I'd be sure the man actually wants a gift before setting anything. up. Some people might take offense to such a thing.

Nobody is forcing anything on anybody, Space. Look at the original offer and you'll see that we're seeking permission from SteveH before anyone proceeds. Just trying to rebuild a little faith in their fellow man, after the younger brother shafted the BIL with his irresponsibility. If nothing else, all the kind thoughts should give a good boost to that family.

And again, thanks to all you AS people who have voiced a willingness to step up and help out another saw guy. You guys rock!

Original Poster here. I am truly stunned and humbled at the offers, folks. I almost don't know what to say.

Many thanks, but the BIL is well on his way to fixing his saw. He's not a "saw guy" as some on the forum in that he doesn't cut a lot. But he's one of the most capable people I know and he called and asked a few good questions and I talked him thru some steps to disassemble and etc. He's never done a saw but by asking a few questions he was able to do it. By the way, he tells me that the cylinder/case/carb seem to be in good shape, once he picked away the bad plastic parts. At least it appears so at this time. I can only assume that the handle and shroud and stuff dissipated enough energy that the engine was protected. It is his first Stihl and he said, "I cannot believe this saw wasn't crushed flat as a pancake." I've seen saws go thru much less than this one did and be completely destroyed. [I am still wondering whether the carb/cylinder are really ok but he should know later today.]

It appears that he's gonna be able to get the parts together and right now, the only thing he might end up needing is the plastic top shroud/cover and possibly the air filter cover, though he thinks he's got one lined up. He thinks the handle and etc. are reusable. [He's the kind of guy who will at least try to rebuild or repair anything, even a half-wrap handle. Just his way.] I will post more if we are unable to find the final pieces of plastic. Maybe someone will have a junker parts 250.

Again, I was just posting a "nightmare saw story" and am blown away at the response. In fact, the BIL is usually the one doing the "jumping in to help" and he's gonna be blown away, too.

Thanks a million folks, I'll pass on these responses later this morning.

Last edited:
Original Poster here. I am truly stunned and humbled at the offers, folks. I almost don't know what to say.

Many thanks, but the BIL is well on his way to fixing his saw. He's not a "saw guy" as some on the forum in that he doesn't cut a lot. But he's one of the most capable people I know and he called and asked a few good questions and I talked him thru some steps to disassemble and etc. He's never done a saw but by asking a few questions he was able to do it. By the way, he tells me that the cylinder/case/carb seem to be in good shape, once he picked away the bad plastic parts. At least it appears so at this time. I can only assume that the handle and shroud and stuff dissipated enough energy that the engine was protected. It is his first Stihl and he said, "I cannot believe this saw wasn't crushed flat as a pancake." I've seen saws go thru much less than this one did and be completely destroyed. [I am still wondering whether the carb/cylinder are really ok but he should know later today.]

It appears that he's gonna be able to get the parts together and right now, the only thing he might end up needing is the plastic top shroud/cover and possibly the air filter cover, though he thinks he's got one lined up. He thinks the handle and etc. are reusable. [He's the kind of guy who will at least try to rebuild or repair anything, even a half-wrap handle. Just his way.] I will post more if we are unable to find the final pieces of plastic. Maybe someone will have a junker parts 250.

Again, I was just posting a "nightmare saw story" and am blown away at the response. In fact, the BIL is usually the one doing the "jumping in to help" and he's gonna be blown away, too.

Thanks a million folks, I'll pass on these responses later this morning.

Just let us know how it turns out!!!
:cheers:

I haven't gave up on this idea now that we have support and on a roll can we still build this saw I'll mail it to Brad and see if he'll build it for me and we'll somehow figure a way to give it to the needest member (no begging) ha ha even if he has to set on the saw untill some members saw craps out. Maybe give it to this AS sight host, or give it away at a GTG. I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Anybody got any ideas.

Why not send to him anyway, for being a standup guy.
Everybody needs a back-up saw.

I must be one of the lucky ones. Everybody in my family is hard working, trustworthy sonsa#####es.

Both my brothers and in-laws I can count on in a pinch everytime. We always have each others back.

Back