My budget chip box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC262

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a 3500HD Chevy with a 12 ft flatbed dump. It was in pretty good shape for the price I picked it up for so I figured I'd do it right and build a really nice chip box on it. I priced out all the new steel I'd need and was about ready to go pick it up. That was until I started looking at what I had laying around and decided to use what I had and keep some extra coin in my pocket.
Materials...
I had some 12ft tall and 5 ft deep pallet racking sections that I tipped on their side and used to build the frame. I had a crap load of nice pressure treated 2x8's laying around that I picked up for free from a deck that was dismantled. I used three rows of the 2x8s at the bottom for strength in case I'm loading it with logs, and also used the 2x8s to extend the headache rack. I purchased some pole barn siding to enclose the top three feet of the sides and cap the half roof. The steel siding cost me $80 and I spent just under $40 all the galvanized carriage bolts and misc hardware I used. It's not completely finished and a little hooptier looking than I'd like but for having less than $130 invested in it I think she looks pretty good. I still need to trim the sides down and cap them off, build a tailgate, and figure out what I'm going to do about the mesh in the headache rack. I love having the visibility but I know I'm going to hate the mess. Suggestions?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I picked up a 3500HD Chevy with a 12 ft flatbed dump. It was in pretty good shape for the price I picked it up for so I figured I'd do it right and build a really nice chip box on it. I priced out all the new steel I'd need and was about ready to go pick it up. That was until I started looking at what I had laying around and decided to use what I had and keep some extra coin in my pocket.
Materials...
I had some 12ft tall and 5 ft deep pallet racking sections that I tipped on their side and used to build the frame. I had a crap load of nice pressure treated 2x8's laying around that I picked up for free from a deck that was dismantled. I used three rows of the 2x8s at the bottom for strength in case I'm loading it with logs, and also used the 2x8s to extend the headache rack. I purchased some pole barn siding to enclose the top three feet of the sides and cap the half roof. The steel siding cost me $80 and I spent just under $40 all the galvanized carriage bolts and misc hardware I used. It's not completely finished and a little hooptier looking than I'd like but for having less than $130 invested in it I think she looks pretty good. I still need to trim the sides down and cap them off, build a tailgate, and figure out what I'm going to do about the mesh in the headache rack. I love having the visibility but I know I'm going to hate the mess. Suggestions?View attachment 376700View attachment 376701View attachment 376702View attachment 376703

Put a sheet of plexiglass over it. That's what I did with mine. If I ever clean it I can actually see out of the back pretty good.

Great steel body for the price.
Mine is wooden, home made, and uses a vertical slider panel on tracks to cover the window. Before chipping you gotta climb up in the bed, pull the nail pins and lower the panel. After you dump must climb up again to raise and pin up the panel. Tedious, but it works both ways.

OP I like it. Tri-State is unfortunately correct though in that many judge a book by it's cover or worker by their conveyance. Before my 2001 F-350 burned up, I intended to buy a flatbed for it. While I was waiting for the $$$ I built a set of stake-sides out of long Oak pallets that were in the recycle pile on base (free-game). It helped my capacity considerably. Not nearly as involved as your project but I like the resourcefulness.

The used chip boxes I looked at in my area are rotted out pieces of crap, not worth the time to mount on a truck. I just wanted something to run in the winter as my nice stuff gets parked when the salt flies. It might not look like a brand new southco or arbortech body but its far from an eyesore. It's not like I'm out there with half rotted plywood sides.

I ended up covering the outsides of the mesh headache rack and leaving about 12" open in the center and covered that up with a finer piece of wire mesh. I would have covered it completely if the box wasn't wider than my chippers. I can't see the chipper in the mirrors if I'm within 10 feet. It's much easier to align and hook up after dumping with that little bit of a window left open.

I put snowplow markers pointing outwards, parallel to the ground to see my little 65xl when backing up that seemed to work pretty well.

Latest posts

Back