My CAD Journey: I never thought CAD would happen to me...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with a Stihl 046 i needed during the one great ice storm we had to clear some trees from the nieghborhood roads . After it finally broke down some fifteen years later i found this site and decided to rebuild it . After that i ran into a stihl 020av and a stihl 028super used and needed a good home and a few parts (also fixed with help on this site ) to get running . they seemed lonely so i got them some friends a stihl 039 ( problem child ) and a stihl 180 . Next came a stihl 023c and a 084 the 084 really needed a good home . But it got follwed by little 026 . And thats how CAD got me :( . Now my son (6) has CAD and wants a new project to fix since he had so much fun tearing apart the 039 and 028super. Is there any hope for my son ? i know its too late for me.

Chainsaw acquisition disorder:

A benign condition, characterized by the subject's inability to resist purchasing gasoline powered cutting tools.

The wife said if you can get this in a dictionary, book, or medical magazine then we can claim a disability or at least a deduction on taxes for costs, meds, etc. related to the disorder.

She also said there is plenty of evidence this disorder exists.

Just think, we could have the gooberment help us buy more saws!!!

The wife said if you can get this in a dictionary, book, or medical magazine then we can claim a disability or at least a deduction on taxes for costs, meds, etc. related to the disorder.

She also said there is plenty of evidence this disorder exists.

Just think, we could have the gooberment help us buy more saws!!!

Wikipedia is a start, if anyone has an account and can do a good write up on it, a serious one.

yea , it's terrible. I came here looking for answers for a 455 rancher. then I found out that that saw was small. now I am addicted to orange saws over 70cc. and the guys here have taught a bit about modding. now I'm a full blown junkie

I started with my first saw in August and now I have 5 and I continue to look at CL everyday for deals! Here's a pic of the saws and
a new work bench I made last night so I have a place to work on them:)

20141001_230243.jpg

7 weeks ago I had no chainsaws. Now I have 10 chainsaws.

5 are runners, 4 were free, 3 are projects, 2 are donors, and one is technically my wife's.

I have also bought 5 rim sprockets, 4 bar scabbards, 3 bars and chains, 2 helmets, a Timberline Sharpener with 2 cutters, and a chainsaw tach.

The CAD is strong in this one....

CAD is in an advanced state when you find yourself buying saws not knowing where to put them, can't seem to find a saw you remember and find saws you have absolutely no recollection of...
There may be hope if you feel relieved when someone outbids you, though :p

Picked up the new (to me) 034AV Super tonight. She was a bear to get running, but once she got going she revved wonderfully. Compression was very strong. $200 and I was on my way. Got it up to Govy and immediately started tearing her down for a cleaning. Found the markings from the butterfly hitting the air filter. Trimmed a little plastic off the filter to allow the choke to set properly (like I read on AS) and she started without a hitch. Tomorrow I'll be attacking a big ol' stump with this and my 52E. Gonna be fun.....
people can say what they want about the 52 johnnys,,,but them is a cutting fool............with zero weight......

CAD is in an advanced state when you find yourself buying saws not knowing where to put them, can't seem to find a saw you remember and find saws you have absolutely no recollection of...
There may be hope if you feel relieved when someone outbids you, though :p

Yupper,

there ought to be a little breathalzer you have to blow in before you can bid on a saw eh?
I have woke up and swear I did not bid on that?

i think i have it also because my mail man is pizzed big time from all the packages he has been delivering in the last week . but if he thinks last week was bad , this week there are 2 saws and 15 package coming and thats just tuesday ....lol

So I'm starting to move towards porting a saw or two.

I have a Jred 90 P/C (from @Flat47 ) and a Stihl 034 Super that I am seriously thinking about having a little work done on. My Jred 80 is running a 90 top end and I'd love to have it wearing a 36" bar. It pulls a 28" without noticing, and seems to be fine with a 32" if I don't bury it too hard. My 034S is currently sporting the factory 20" and I would like to get that baby up to a 24".

What does the AS world think? How radical would my porting work have to be to reach these goals on these saws? Am I crossing over into decreased engine life land?

First, on CAD... I had an 026 for years and it was all I needed. Then, out of a trade deal, I ended up with a virtually brand new 385 with a 16" bar on it. So I began searching for what kind of a saw this was and find a manual. Well, just today, I swung by the local dealer to pick up an 8 tooth 3/8 driver, and a .404 7 tooth driver, just for fun. Been buying and selling, and tinkering ever since. It's basically the only hobby I've ever had that has some sense of use to it.

Dave, I'm running a 36" bar on my 385 (stock) and it does OK. At the moment, it's sporting a 3/8 063 standard chain on a 7 tooth driver and we have the chain sharpened a bit too aggressive for hard wood, but it still pulls it, just can't lean into it or it stalls. You could go a skip chain and it would be fine. I'm looking to play with some .404 chain soon. CAD is FUN!

Reading through the forum posts, seems that 24" really is the working limit of the 034S. Seems that a muff-mod, port match, and general P/C machining cleanup should move the power level enough to handily wield a 24" bar. Opinions?

Ha! I just asked the AS forum if anyone had an opinion about something chainsaw related.....

Back