My DR Splitter woodpiles w/pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a few pics of the woodpiles that were split using the lil' DR. For those of us that can't afford a big gas powered log buster I just wanted to show some of what the DR can do. On a good day I can even get my wife to join in on the fun!!

not bad!!!!

kinda makes ya feel good seeing that nice pile of wood after splitting all day....don't it?

a couple more like that and you'll be set for winter!

Getting the wife to help, now that is cool. My wife enjoys the heat, thats it. But then I dont help her with the washing I guess,,, Wood pile looks good, enjoy it this winter.

Thanks fellas,
With only one year of wood burning, cutting, splitting etc under my belt I'm gonna make real sure I'm ready for this season! We really cut it close last winter and almost ran out of the dry stuff. Even though this can be hard work at times I really enjoy this kinda labor. I enjoy the puny gas bill even more, as does the wife!! In fact it was my wife that really got the ball rolling on the purchase of a woodburner, bless her heart!! My goal now is to build a decent woodshed out of some pallets that I'll be picking up later today. I hope to post a few shots of it as it becomes a reality. I've learned a lot from this site and you seasoned vets!!

Those are good looking stacks of wood! I'll hazard a guess that they look even better to you since you are only in your second year! :cheers:

If those 2x4 uprights start acting like they want to lean outwards, tie the two ends together at the top (with a stringer of some sort - just like you have done at the bottom with those 2x6s).

If you have the room, consider starting on the following year's firewood. That way you will never run short again since you'll be able to tap into the remaining stacks of wood.

After reading about the impressive stock piling that some of the AS members are into, I am going to make use of my land base (40 acres) and have "staked out" an area that I will endeavor to fill up with wood.

Great job and thanks for posting pics!

cjcocn,

As a matter of fact the first pic is of wood that's intended for use in the winter after next! Don't want to get caught short again if I can help it. Your 40 acres sounds real inviting!! I'd love to have a spread like that. How close are your neighbors to you?

Good deal and to hell with the gas bill.....

Cheers, to another buckeye....:cheers:

cjcocn,

As a matter of fact the first pic is of wood that's intended for use in the winter after next! Don't want to get caught short again if I can help it.

You're a smart man! :cheers: It sure is nice looking at the fruit of ones labor, isn't it?

Your 40 acres sounds real inviting!! I'd love to have a spread like that. How close are your neighbors to you?

The 40 acres makes for a nice little patch of land. Most of it is currently hay field, but I would like to come up with a use that generates more revenue. Perhaps some kind of specialty crop.

Unfortunately my neighbors are fairly close. 200 yards on one side, but there is a line of trees that keeps us pretty well separated and they are fairly quiet. Sometimes I hear a chainsaw or a quad running, but I don't consider that "noise" at all. :D

On the other side our neighbors are only about 300 yards away, but for some reason that 300 yards seems like too short of a distance most times. :cry:

On our stretch of road (about 3 miles) there are 8 houses. Our little group of 3 houses are the only ones that are bunched up like that.

All in all it's 100% better than living in town. We have a large yard for the kids to play in (pool, trampoline, etc), a decent-sized garden, wood storage, boat/trailer storage, 3 outbuildings, .... and the best part - it isn't the least bit crowded. :D

Those are good looking stacks of wood! I'll hazard a guess that they look even better to you since you are only in your second year! :cheers:

If those 2x4 uprights start acting like they want to lean outwards, tie the two ends together at the top (with a stringer of some sort - just like you have done at the bottom with those 2x6s).

If you have the room, consider starting on the following year's firewood. That way you will never run short again since you'll be able to tap into the remaining stacks of wood.

After reading about the impressive stock piling that some of the AS members are into, I am going to make use of my land base (40 acres) and have "staked out" an area that I will endeavor to fill up with wood.

Great job and thanks for posting pics!

if the tops bow out just use a cable or chain and hook the tops together even a tie down strap will work.

Thanks fellas,
With only one year of wood burning, cutting, splitting etc under my belt I'm gonna make real sure I'm ready for this season! We really cut it close last winter and almost ran out of the dry stuff. Even though this can be hard work at times I really enjoy this kinda labor. I enjoy the puny gas bill even more, as does the wife!! In fact it was my wife that really got the ball rolling on the purchase of a woodburner, bless her heart!! My goal now is to build a decent woodshed out of some pallets that I'll be picking up later today. I hope to post a few shots of it as it becomes a reality. I've learned a lot from this site and you seasoned vets!!

Last year, with the heating season being extended well into May, we cut it kind of close too. Got all our 2008-09 fuel (5+ cords) split and stacked by early May and have been working on the 2009-10 supply. Have about 3 cords already and should be 100% ready for 09-10 by the time snow flies. Nice to be in a cadence like this and not have the anxiety of wondering where the wood is going to come from.

Last year, with the heating season being extended well into May, we cut it kind of close too. Got all our 2008-09 fuel (5+ cords) split and stacked by early May and have been working on the 2009-10 supply. Have about 3 cords already and should be 100% ready for 09-10 by the time snow flies. Nice to be in a cadence like this and not have the anxiety of wondering where the wood is going to come from.

woodbooga,

That's the kind of head start I'd like to have too as I get the hang of things. Also I'm thinking if I do need to dip into the next seasons' supply if we get an extended cold spell that it'll be readily available and dry enough to burn efficiently.

Thanks for the pix and the DR review Tom,

Like many here, firewooding for me has always been "My workout". I actually have a free gym membership at out local college due too my Bro being a tenured Proff there but I hardly ever go except for a swim maybe after firewooding and that's only if it's too cold too go swimming in the river. It's great excersize and it's paying me! Got too love that! :cheers:

I thought I'd post a few pics of the woodpiles that were split using the lil' DR. For those of us that can't afford a big gas powered log buster I just wanted to show some of what the DR can do. On a good day I can even get my wife to join in on the fun!!

Sorry about the dog's eye problems :dizzy: :dizzy:

No worry. The DR splitter does a fine job. We got rid of our smoky, noisy, smelly, beast B&S splitter years ago for a tiny tiny DR electric hydraulic in 2001...and don't look back. The 6-8 cords of firewood we need yearly are split quietly, at any time, little fuss with maintenance. I can listen to music, sing, relax, keep a Maine micro brew close at hand. Plug it in, press the switch, split.
It is slower and much less power than our old 20 ton beast, but does about 80% of the splitting. Good choice.:clap:
Now to leer at my Woodpiles. It is a disease.

I just saw a local news channel ad that said to save for heating bills this winter. Looks like you got that one covered. Me too.

Ya got to love a woman who helps you support your habit.

Latest posts

Back