My favorite GTG partner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, my heart goes out to you. This thread is getting harder and harder to read from an emotional standpoint. I have seen this before with my own eyes; both times were fathers of 2 of my very best friends (one of them was like a second father to me). It is a helpless feeling that cannot be described. Thanks for sharing with us.

My Dad and I are very close. He's going to be 85 in June. Fantastic shape for his age, but when you get up into those numbers, anything can happen. We have fun together and we do cherish these times as we certainly have fewer ahead of us than behind us. So, like Brad hanging with his Dad and going to GTG's together and all, we recognize that health and the time to enjoy it are the two greatest luxuries. You need to take advantage of it while you can. It only takes a little effort to avoid a lot of regrets later on.

I'm joining in the prayers Brad.

I sympathize and I'm sending out a prayer for your father. I just lost my pap a couple weeks ago and he was the man that taught me to do just about everything I enjoy. We spent endless hours working together when I was younger. One thing he did with me was fix things... All kinds of things. He was a scrounger, collector, ect and always had a way to get things done. Wood cutting was also a large part of the time. While we were in the woods, I heard stories about him blowing bridges in Korea as his buddies died around him to the day he came home and met his first boy for the first time after years of war. His passing was and is a hard thought for me, but I am comforted by one thing.... He left an amazing legacy, living out the words and lessons he shared with me as a boy. Most importantly, he showed me his faith in Christ in everything we did. His life is a shining example of the man I hope to become. At 34 with three kids and a beautiful wife, I'm so blessed.

Chin up Brad. God is watching over your dad....no matter what.

Wow, what a CRAZY week this has been. You never know what a day holds. Wednesday morning, Dad aspirated and basically crashed. They were bagging him while a group of 8 rushed him down the hall to ICU. The came VERY close to loosing him. He's there now on a vent. They fought all day long Wednesday to get his blood pressure up. They filled him will about 18 liters of fluid. He was getting max doses of two BP meds. Epinephrine drip was their last ditch effort. It worked. He was fighting a fever that went as high as 103°. It came down later in the evening.

At this point, they were concerned that they had nicked his bowel during the biopsy Tuesday afternoon. So, they took him down for another CT scan. There was nothing obvious. If his bowel is nicked, it's very small.

I spent the night in his room. I was shocked to wake up and find that they had been able to stop the Epinephrine and he was holding his own. He was doing so well that my brother and I left to purchase my parents grave plots and to take care of a few other personal matters.

Through the day yesterday, they slowly began pulling back the other two BP drugs, as well as the sedating and pain med. He was doing much better and stable. In the afternoon, his heart rhythm went into A Fib. Dad has a long history dealing with A Fib. The result was increased heart rate and lower BP. Last evening, I noticed that his heart rate was really climbing. They checked his temp and it as 105.8°. It actually went as high as 106.6°! He was placed on a cooling blanket filled with circulating chilled water. They also packed ice around his body. His temp came down amazingly fast! They were also able to get his heart rate down. By midnight, he was actually opening his eyes and responding to us for the first time since Tuesday. To say we were shocked would be an understatement!

I spent the night in his room again last night. It was an uneventful night and his stats are still good.

Just now, one of the ICO Drs came out, and they finally have an official diagnosis. The results of the biopsy are back. He has Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma. We will have much more information after we consult with the Encology team later.

Thank you SOOO much for everyone's prayers and kind words. I appreciate it SOO much. You guys are my friends!

I really didn't mean to bother you with the saws the other day I had know idea and I am really sorry, you and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers since, you let me know what was going on,I have been through non hotchkins limphoma with my wife and it was a major rollercoaster but now my wife is cancer free and in remission going on 5 years thank the good lord and there isn't a day that goes by that I am thankful and pray for it , not sure what to say or do other than have faith, as that is what helped me ,hope and pray all is well my friend may god bless you

Wow, what a CRAZY week this has been. You never know what a day holds. Wednesday morning, Dad aspirated and basically crashed. They were bagging him while a group of 8 rushed him down the hall to ICU. The came VERY close to loosing him. He's there now on a vent. They fought all day long Wednesday to get his blood pressure up. They filled him will about 18 liters of fluid. He was getting max doses of two BP meds. Epinephrine drip was their last ditch effort. It worked. He was fighting a fever that went as high as 103°. It came down later in the evening.

At this point, they were concerned that they had nicked his bowel during the biopsy Tuesday afternoon. So, they took him down for another CT scan. There was nothing obvious. If his bowel is nicked, it's very small.

I spent the night in his room. I was shocked to wake up and find that they had been able to stop the Epinephrine and he was holding his own. He was doing so well that my brother and I left to purchase my parents grave plots and to take care of a few other personal matters.

Through the day yesterday, they slowly began pulling back the other two BP drugs, as well as the sedating and pain med. He was doing much better and stable. In the afternoon, his heart rhythm went into A Fib. Dad has a long history dealing with A Fib. The result was increased heart rate and lower BP. Last evening, I noticed that his heart rate was really climbing. They checked his temp and it as 105.8°. It actually went as high as 106.6°! He was placed on a cooling blanket filled with circulating chilled water. They also packed ice around his body. His temp came down amazingly fast! They were also able to get his heart rate down. By midnight, he was actually opening his eyes and responding to us for the first time since Tuesday. To say we were shocked would be an understatement!

I spent the night in his room again last night. It was an uneventful night and his stats are still good.

Just now, one of the ICO Drs came out, and they finally have an official diagnosis. The results of the biopsy are back. He has Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma. We will have much more information after we consult with the Encology team later.

Thank you SOOO much for everyone's prayers and kind words. I appreciate it SOO much. You guys are my friends!
Brad, I am praying that the days ahead will bring good news. It is hard for everyone to read about this, and not be able to help you in some way. Rest assured we are praying and here for you at every turn, even if all we can do is listen and lend moral support. Best wishes, DW

Prayers sent! Almost lost my dad last year with serious heart attack.....Then lost my mother last year, (she was 63) , due to diabetes issues......now my mother n law is going down hill fast,with c.o.p.d--lungs shot--congestive heart failure and now memory loss...... i pray that you and your family find the strength you need.. DEMC

sorry to see this brad..
just lost my father in law last month...

keep in mind though, however this turns out, you are very, very lucky to have had your father for so many years...
i'm 47, my dad died when i was 12, i'd give anything to have had the opportunity to grow up with him in my life..
keep your chin up....

Back