My firewood processor build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, had shoulder surgery at 8:30 this morning. typeing with left hans so no making jokes about spelling or grammar.
its 6:50pm and stll no feeling in right arm. thing is just a dead weight from the nerve blockers. probaby wake in mddle of nite in pain. therapy wont start until middle of nexy week. I figure a couple wksbefore i can head back to the shop. wont be able lift much, but i traded a scratch start tig rig to a guy in welding school to be my extra hands. hes been workinng at a fab shop welding truck beds and trailers so he can weld, i aint figured out why he back in welding school unless its to get his certifications. Ill be out of work for about 6 wks. if i can get back in the shop in 2 wks, that will give me 4 wks to piddle with this build. i might have some more pics to show in a few days.
oh and since i aint got nothing better to do, ill be stalking and spending to much time here

Don't overdo it. Give it time to heal. Your work isn't going to go away, it will be there when you are feeling much better.

Well here it is 1am and I'm wide awake. As daddy used to say its time to get up and I aint even got into bed yet. One good thing is I am getting some movement back in my arm. Using two hands to type now. I guess I'm awake because I have napped most of the day. Momma running for me and adjusting the recliner for me. Those recliners have the lever for reclining on the right hand side and it pains me to say, ( and actually to do) to try to pull that lever. I still aint figured out where that recliner came from, when I left the house yesterday morning, I didnt own one and when I got back from the doctor, I still didnt own one. Sometime while I was napping it just magicly appeared. Got heated seat and vibrating massager. I might just have found my next favorite chair. LOL
Well this aint got nothing to do with my processor build, but I'm bored and sore, wide awake and everybody else is in the bed, so this is it.

Yesterday the recliner won. While trying to put it in the recline position, I managed to flip it over backwards. Wife screams, son comes running, and daughterinlaw just stood there laughing. I didnt get hurt and couldnt stop laughing myself. Chair did sort of fall off, (pun intended), my favorite list. We are sending it back to the store and are going to look for something else to replace it with. Maybe an otterman or a recliner that isnt also a rocker chair.

Yesterday the recliner won. While trying to put it in the recline position, I managed to flip it over backwards. Wife screams, son comes running, and daughterinlaw just stood there laughing. I didnt get hurt and couldnt stop laughing myself. Chair did sort of fall off, (pun intended), my favorite list. We are sending it back to the store and are going to look for something else to replace it with. Maybe an otterman or a recliner that isnt also a rocker chair.
You must have been wearing your PPE:lol::wtf::givebeer:

Went to 40year highschool reunion tonite. No less than 4 different people came up to me and slapped me on the shoulder. Thought I was going to have to hang a sign on my back saying dont touch. I made it a point to hug all the women, I figured if those old men could slap me on the shoulder, i could give their wifes a squeeze. Wasnt no sign saying not to. LOL

Got staples pulled out of shoulder yesterday. Arm has been doing pretty good I thought. Doctor asked how arm was doing and i said feels great and started raiseing and lowering my arm. Doctor shouts, stop, you cant do that. He takes hold of my arm and wiggles it around a little bit and then preceeded to chew my azs out. It seems just because arm is feeling better, that I am still not supposed to be using it. Doc dont even wants me to be typing on the puter. Guess all my thoughts of drifting down to the shop and piddleing around have been again put on hold, for at least 2 more weeks when they start therapy. As tempted as I am to wander on down to the shop, I am not going to do it. I aint giving up the computer, I feel that might be extreme, and besides, If I cant type, what about using the remote for the TV. dang, should have asked about that I guess. We did get rid of the recliner, we borrowed one from my brother that didnt rock. I dont like it either so I have went back to setting in "MY" chair. You can see the chair in my avatar. That dog is grown now and he still sits in my lap just like in the pic. I go to sleep and he will lay there all nite.

I guess everybody can tell, I am getting a little bored with my rambleing, but I have never in my life just sat around doing nothing when I got so much that needs done.

Oh ya buddy i can feel your pain. Im currently stuck at home with a shiny steel plate and half a hardware store in my ankle.

Lucky i cheated and stopped taking my pain killers so i can drive and have been hauling with my truck and trailer.

Heres hoping you recover quickly! :cheers:

I just love how Doc's say "bed rest, don't lift this, don't do that". That's all nice and good until the bills keep coming in and the paychecks aren't!

Oh ya buddy i can feel your pain. Im currently stuck at home with a shiny steel plate and half a hardware store in my ankle.

Lucky i cheated and stopped taking my pain killers so i can drive and have been hauling with my truck and trailer.

Heres hoping you recover quickly! :cheers:
So sorry to hear about the ankle. I hear you about the pin killers, all those thing done was make me dizzy when I stood up and stopped up my crap hole. I took them for the first couple of days because "Every One" said the third day after surgery would be just terrible. No so, I was in less pain than I was before the surgery and to me that was an improvement. The doctor is concerned that I will pull the tendons loose before they have time to heal. The way the surgery was explained to me was that to reattach the muscle he had to drill my shoulder bone and install little meat hooks and then pull the muscle up and hang it off those hooks. He was more technical than that, but that is the way I took it. Anyways, any strain can tear those muscles loose and I would have to have the surgery redone. He wont even let me start therapy for two more weeks, which I thought was unusual since about every body I know that has had any kind of surgery they usually have them going right to therapy. So I am taking him serious about not using my arm and certainly not going to lift anything.

Edited to add, I have a buddy that had his knee replaced this year. Being mister tuff guy he had to prove he was a Real man. Well mister tuff guy is going to have to have his knee operated on again. He can peck on his knee and it sounds like hitting a couple of tin cans together. All that "I'm tuff and can walk and work" had torn everything loose inside there. Just saying, I know we all got to eat, but trying to keep working like nothing ever happened can lead to being out of work even longer than it would have if he had just taken a few more weeks to heal properly.

Oh not saying you should push yourself or that anyone should for that matter. I wasnt trying to judge and if i came across that way im sorry. Ive already started my physical therapy and it has been a month since my surgery. I reached the stage in which i have mobility, if limited, and ive jumped back into working.

Im only hoping you recover quickly with little pain and can get up and at it.

I wasnt commenting to anyone really, I just know what my buddy is gong thru because he thought he was smarter than the doc. He's paying for it now and I thought some folks need to know that just because you think you can, you think you can, you really probably shouldnt.
Docs says I'm going back to work Oct 29th. I am about ready to fight him on that one. Keep me out for 4 more weeks and than turn me loose, I still have 4 wks of vacation I havent taken this year, I figure that should be about Jan before I have to actually go back to work. What you think, I think my plan is better than his.

Just got back from the doc. Arm healing good. Said i was farther along than is usual for this type of injury. Get to start therapy tomorrow. Doc still says to not lift nothing over 5lbs. They are telling me 5-6 weeks of therapy before i can go back to work. I aint argueing with them. In fact trying to get them to stretch it out a couple of more weeks. I still have 4weeks of vacation time built and if they will stretch therapy out a little bit, I wont have to go back to work until Jan. Might get some things done on processor in the mean time. I got a lot of plate I need to cut on the track torch. I cant lift it with one hand, so just waiting for the right help. Once plates are cut, I can assemble my splitter beam and cyl's. I also have the plates already cut for the box wedge, but it takes 2 hands to pick up each plate, so again got to wait on help to come over. Finally got control valve for splitter figured out. The valve was designed to be used for a hydraulic travel motor. This valve can be configured for multiple uses, closed center, open center, regen, power beyond, motor spool, cyl spool, and I dont know what else. Took quite a few phone calls to finally figure out that it did have a cyl spool, even tho it controlled a hyd motor, and that it could work as open center as well as closed center, just depending on how it is plumbed. It also will flow the 60gpm I need for the splitter cylinders. Big relief for me as this valve probably cost $2-3 grand if I had to buy one new. 1002151508.jpg It has a main relief and a relief for both work ports. It is also lever actuated as well as air operated. 1002151506a.jpg Pic shows air cyl, and one of the reliefs for the work ports. I plan on using a air foot pedal to shift the valve for the splitter. Valve also has power beyond, I am still trying to figure out how to use the power beyond to provide the 30gpm I need for my saw circuit. Somehow I will need to dump 30gpm to tank and still have 30gpm for the saw. I need some ideal on how to do this from the hyd genius's on this site. I am thinking some sort of rotary flow control, if I can find one big enough to handle the flow. I am thinking rotary because this should allow me to adjust flow enough to play around with saw speed without overheating the oil. Not sure how this will work.

Been setting here thinking, dangerous I know, but nothing else to do. Anyways. The thought occurred to me that might be able to plumb the hydraulics up where i dont need a flow control, so i will throw this out there for consideration. My thoughts for a hydraulic pump was originally to buy a stacked pump with a 60gpm/30gpm/15gpm sections. Since I havent purchased the hydraulic pumps yet, i am thinkng that i should just buy a stacked pump with 2-30gpm sections and combine the flows to run the splitter. Heres what I think would work, If I use 2-30gal pumps and run one pump thru the saw valve first, and that valve has power beyond, I should be able to combine flows after the saw valve. This would mean the saw would run at full power when needed and when not sawing, the splitter would have full flow. I know this means the splitter would run slower while sawing, but the splitter should be at half speed while saw is running. Of course while advnceing a log, for sawing, the splitte would run at full speed and by the time I start sawing, the cyl would be in retract mode and would still retract at a pretty fast speed anyways. Not sure how well this ideal will work out, might have to think a little more.

Decided to start planning on how to plumb this beast. Not being a hydraulic expert, this part is probably going to be my biggest challenge to get right. I started making a list of all the functions I intend to do with this machine. Next it to figure out how to make it all work together. Once I started adding up the different functions, I was sort of taken back by just how many functions it takes just to split firewood. I have added up 16 different operations and all of those operations, except for the saw motor, will be able to work in two directions for a total of 31 different functions. Here is a list of everything I am trying to do.

Processor Circuits/Functions

Current plans are for 3 sperate pumps I am labeling these pumps as P1,P2, and P3. If i decide to add another pump, it will be considered P4.

Saw motor 33gpm flow P2 pump
Splitter cyl 42gpm flow P1 pump

P1 and P2 pumps will combine to provide 75gpm for splitting cylinders
14gpm P3 pump
This pump will provide flow for all other circuits
Saw cyl
log clamp cyl
Log feed conveyor motor
wedge lift cyl
Out feed conveyor motor
Live deck motor
Deck lift cyl
Knuckle Boom Circuits/Functions
Since all previous list functions will not be required while operating Knuckle boom, the P3 pump will be used to supply power
Right stabilizer cyl
Left stabilizer cyl
Mast rotation Motor
Root boom cyl
Dipper boom cyl
Grapple rotator motor (Valby R3)
Grapple clamp cyl

I have on hand the large valve for the splitting circuit. I also have two sets of stacked valves, one with 10 spools and the other with 6 spools. All these valves do have power beyond. I had planned on using a solenoid valve for the saw motor, but because the valve I have isnt PB and cant be made that way, I will have to find a manual valve that will flow at least 30gpm and has PB. While this valve will only need to drive the motor in one direction, I plan on using that flow to supply additional flow to the splitter. This would give the splitting cyl approx 75 gpm of total flow. This will probably be way to fast of a cycle time and if so, I will just return P2 flows back to tank and wish I had just went ahead and used the solenoid valve I already have. I also have an ideal for using the knuckle boom to load large dia wood that wont fit thru the processor onto my current splitter. If I do that, i can just use the saw circuit to power the seperate wood splitter. Time will tell, note to Bill, get processor working and then worry about add on's.

Still got a lot of planning to do. I am going to need a bunch of flow controls, sequence valves, unloading valves, brake valves, pressure reducing valves and probably some other things I havent thought of yet. I will just have to draw out each circuit adding fluid controls where they are needed and then add them all up when i get done. Cutting and welding is the easy part.

There is the possibility that I might make the outfeed conveyor to fold up for transport as well as swing side to side. For fold up, Scropion style, I think it would take two extra cylinders. One to raise the conveyor and the other to make it fold. I am thinking one control valve and using sequence valves so that the conveyor folds first and then raises and then lowers before it unfolds. Have to think about this, it might just be easier to use to seperate CV's. I guess it just depends on how may extra spools I have in my stacked valves. One cyl, one CV,extra if I decide to add swing

Also, Not entirely sure I will use or need a fold up log deck for log storage, I should have about 4 ft of live deck and the knuckle boom will be mounted to the machine, so???, is the extra length of the live deck worth the trouble.
Advanage of a longer deck is you can load a bunch of logs for processing so you dont have to stop and reload logs as often.
Disadvantage, Cost more to build, and in the folded position it would be upright making machine height higher . Would also take up space needed for knuckle boom storage during transport.
I think the best way to figure out what valves I need is to just do them one function at a time. Since the saw and splitting circuit will use a combination of two differnt pumps, I will start there. After I write this out, I will try and draw up the schematics using proper symbols. ( drawing the schematics might take me a while)

Starting with the saw, P2 pump makes 33gpm. flow will go to valve with relief between valve and pump. (Relief Internal in CV). SCV activated fluid goes from SCV to Motor and then to Tank. Valve in center postion, flow will go to PB and continue to checkvalve (ckv) before combining with P1 pump flow. CKV is to prevent P1 pump flow from running backwards to saw motor.
Considering also adding a unloading valve with check valve bypass in the event P1 pressure rises above P2 pump relief setting, which would cause P2 pump to dump over relief instead of going thru splitter valve. A unloading valve would allow oil to flow back to tank unrestricted instead of flowing thru relief valve. This would also make the P2 pump act as a high/low pump. Making the splitter act like it had a two stage pump instead of 2 seperate pumps.
P1 pump flow combines with P2 flow at tee and then to the in port of Splitter control valve with internal relief. Splitter control Valve In center position flows to tank. When activated it would extend or retract twin splitting cylinders. The twin cylinders are connected together in parallel.
I think this completes the splitter and saw circuits. All other circuits will be using the 14gpm P3 pump.

To complete the sawing of a log, I need to address the conveyor to advance the log as well as the clamping and lowering of the saw bar. Since this operation would be thru stacked valves, It should be as simple as activating the corresponding control lever and push and pull. Not so fast!! While this will work just find for the conveyor. I am going to be dealing with different flow requirements as well as pressure requirements for the log clamp and saw cyl. Saw cyl needs to raise and lower in a controlled manner and pressures also need to be pretty low. Recommended down force on saw cyl is less that 100psi pressure at mid saw bar. Log clamp pressure can be system pressure. I am thinking this is going to require more valves to make it work. My Ideal is to use a sequence valve off the log clamp cyl to activate the saw cyl. This way the clamp would see a set pressure to hold log in place, before the saw cyl moves. Still ,I dont think this will work because the saw cyl would also see full flow and pressure making it to fast and apply to much force. I can use a couple of flow controls to meter in and meter out flow to control speed, but then I still have to much pressure. To control pressure what about using a pressure reducing valve before the flow control valves. Thats a lot of plumbing for one cyl. Got to be a better way.

Advantage of using seperate flow control, sequence valve and pressure reducing valve. It allows wide range of adjustments to control both speed and force.
Disadvantage, Lots of valves and hoses to buy $$$, and very cluttered once installed. will have to see if possible to buy a all in one valve to perform all these functions. All in one valve will probably be cheaper than buying several separate valves.

Next operation is where I might have to add an additional pump (P4) and that is the out feed conveyor. Conveyor needs to run continuous while sawing and splitting. If I pull fluid off the same pump as I am using to run the other conveyor as well as the log clamp and saw cyl, the outfeed conveyour will see start and stops. The outfeed conveyor and other splitting functions wont be running if I am running the knuckle boom. I have a few choices to make the out feed run all the time, I can add a divider valve before the clamp, sawbar and log feed and just dedicate a set amount of oil for that conveyor. I can add another small pump or I can pull some fluid off the splitter circuit as that valve is also PB. Not sure how I would get flows down to 4-5gpm from a 75gpm circuit, but I bet it would be costly.
Not a lot to discuss about the knuckle boom, except for adding a brake valve to the mast swing motor. While I could probably get by without the brake valve, I dont want the mast to be floating around uncontrolled if the machine isnt perfectly level.

Any thoughts??

Back