My First Big Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, not giant, but a Jonsered 2065, runs but needs carb rebuilt, craigslist sale (about a half hour away) $50-. A new bar is clearly in order too. This is before cleanup-

0_0_67e784102328103818fd6ee54fca3ae7_1

She's got some hours clearly, and I'd like to change the ring just to be through (compression tester is busted currently but it seems so so). BUT those two deeply buried muffler screws- the ones that actually attach it to the cylinder- are both super rusty and stripped already (they are of course Torx head). What would you folks do- EasyOut? Tear open muffler (fair shape only anyway) and Visegrips?

Thanks!

John H.

A new bar is clearly in order too.

Maybe not. Everyone wants to change their bars just for a little surface rust. Check the rails for true, and the groove for width. If the sprocket tip is good, and the rails are ok, I'd run it. The rust will be gone as soon as you use it a little. You can hit it with an orbital sander if you care otherwise.

She's got some hours clearly, and I'd like to change the ring just to be through (compression tester is busted currently but it seems so so). BUT those two deeply buried muffler screws- the ones that actually attach it to the cylinder- are both super rusty and stripped already (they are of course Torx head). What would you folks do- EasyOut? Tear open muffler (fair shape only anyway) and Visegrips?

Thanks!

John H.

Good idea on changing the ring. Check squish, and delete gasket also, if you can. I would get a drill, and drill the heads on those bolts until they are gone. Then the the muffler will slide off. You unscrew the remainder of the bolt, and replace.

Maybe not. Everyone wants to change their bars just for a little surface rust. Check the rails for true, and the groove for width. If the sprocket tip is good, and the rails are ok, I'd run it. The rust will be gone as soon as you use it a little. You can hit it with an orbital sander if you care otherwise.

I think your drill idea is the best way, I forgot the fasteners are toast anyway.

As for the bar, it's not just the rust, it took a few good whacks in its day. They've been filed smooth, it's decent, but not great.

I've gotten most of my carb kits so far off eBay, have one for this already- my first Zama carb.

John H.

Last edited:
BTW if anyone has a decent muffler for this saw I'd buy it- thanks! Otherwise it's a repro from Bailey's I guess, the one on it is getting pretty soft and crunchy.

Back