My first climb job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, came to the conclusion that I have to learn to climb to do this business right. Bid a job today and got that I will have to climb to remove a limb that I don't have access to from the truck. Is first limb about 25' and is the only limb that needs to be removed from that tree, not real huge but HO is worried about ice storms and protecting the house. Going to buy my equipment Monday from Treeman supply which is located close to me. Just happened to have received my 5 dvd basic trailning for tree climbers by TCIA. I am not an expert which is why I posted this here but the vids should get me safely in the tree and perform the task. I scheduled it later next week so I can practice in a nice Maple in the yard but am excited about learning this skill. I will take it very slow and safe and will bring a level of safety to my operation. Any pointers will be welcome, I know this is very dangerous territory for a newb climber but feel up to the challenge. Are TCIA's vids good? Just watched the rigging for removal set and learned some great tricks that will speed up production and safety.

While you seem a decent enough guy I take big issue with you charging people for a professional service when you don't know how to do it. I can hang sheetrock, and do it pretty well, but I wouldn't ever try to charge someone professional rates for my work. It's very unethical.

Good luck. Double and triple check all your knots. Take small pieces and make sure there is another person with you. You might want to practice before you hit the job site. If the client looks out and sees you fumbling around looking confused, it might not make the best impression. Also, make sure you have a cell phone if you nee to call 911. Thats not a joke.

I remember my first day off the ground but i was working for a company of experienced guys if i got into a jam and i wasn't alone in the tree by myself,just rememeber go slow,double check,know what is below,and once you make a cut its too late to fix it if its wrong and it only takes one mistake. good luck.

First Climb

I can really appreciate your drive to learn, and sure others may agree with me here but when it comes to climbing, rigging, using a saw aloft and understanding the process cant be taught just watching dvds and reading a book alone. Reading and watching are totally different than actually applying it in a real senerio. If you dont understand the proper hitchs, knots, when and where to use them, dynamics of a tree, etc, etc, could have deadly results. I would recommend looking for someone to teach and help you with this. LOW AND SLOW, learn your rigging, know how it work's how it feels, react's, you need to be able to trust it with your life so know it front to back!!! I have a up and comer that works for me and I always tell him its better to panic or have mess-up only 2 feet off the ground than 30' in the air! IMO

Be Safe

Ben
Bushwacker Tree Removal:rock:

That's no joke about the cell phone - to this day I make sure mine is right by our work and everyone knows where its at, ya never know.

Since you've been doing tree work out of your bucket I'll assume you do know your basic knots. I would get comfortable with a good climbing hitch like the tautline on the ground first before going aloft. Trust your gear, put your weight back in the saddle and trust it - you won't get much done and look awful silly bear hugging the trunk with your knees knocking. Pick a good TIP as close to directly above where you'll be working will make things a lot easier on you. How were you planning on ascending the tree?

In the last year I've also moved to doing some minor climbing, have always used a bucket truck previously. Just think all the permutations of movement out before you cut, A bucket gives you the option of dropping to your knees and having a shield (not that this is recommended). The first time you get to have your face in kissing distance of an opening backcut really makes you think about the leeway a bucket gives you. So make sure you think about that leeway first. I'm sure you understand that playing with chainsaws at heights with thousands of pounds of wood falling is inherently dangerous. Be safe and post a pic.

While you seem a decent enough guy I take big issue with you charging people for a professional service when you don't know how to do it. I can hang sheetrock, and do it pretty well, but I wouldn't ever try to charge someone professional rates for my work. It's very unethical.

The HO told me he had 3 companies just leave his property and not give.the bid which is suprising. I let him know that this would be my first climb and that I am not going to use any spikes and he was very pleased. I never mislead him in any way and it will be a nice fairly.simple job and will take my time. My rates for this job were not a huge profit but not lowballed either. I intend to be an honest, straight forward company to learn and go home in one piece everyday. Hope it gets.me somewhere someday.

That's no joke about the cell phone - to this day I make sure mine is right by our work and everyone knows where its at, ya never know.

Since you've been doing tree work out of your bucket I'll assume you do know your basic knots. I would get comfortable with a good climbing hitch like the tautline on the ground first before going aloft. Trust your gear, put your weight back in the saddle and trust it - you won't get much done and look awful silly bear hugging the trunk with your knees knocking. Pick a good TIP as close to directly above where you'll be working will make things a lot easier on you. How were you planning on ascending the tree?

SRT, have done a little in the past while confined space training. The instructor was my journeyman and while working together on midnights we would climb every night. He was crazy about it,.was when it was first being taught and.made mandatory in factories.

In the last year I've also moved to doing some minor climbing, have always used a bucket truck previously. Just think all the permutations of movement out before you cut, A bucket gives you the option of dropping to your knees and having a shield (not that this is recommended). The first time you get to have your face in kissing distance of an opening backcut really makes you think about the leeway a bucket gives you. So make sure you think about that leeway first. I'm sure you understand that playing with chainsaws at heights with thousands of pounds of wood falling is inherently dangerous. Be safe and post a pic.

I may just use a handsaw, limb is maybe 20' and 5" dia at trunk.

3 companies left without giving a bid? Were they scared ,can't climb or just not worth their time?

When I first got in this biz, I tried to climb with out any training, bought the books, came here, met JPS. He told me one thing that changed it all. FIND A PRO TO TEACH YOU IN THE TREE. The books are great, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING can substitute a seasoned vet showing you the way of the Jedi. He can show you why that TIP is good and the other is bad, throw your lanyard this way, instead of that way. I had read all the basics and still was struggling. I asked around, trying to find out who "the man" was. Cranky old climber that used to run Davey. Bill was the best thing that could have happened to me in those days. Hard as a Marine DI and a worse disposition. He was a complete A-Hole to me, but I listened to every word. He spent a summer with me and it changed my whole outlook on the biz. He is the one that made me want to do things right. Not only with climbing, but tree care.
I am sure that one of these guys on here are close to you, go hook up with them, give a day of work, in trade for some "hands on training" Then take that info to the park and practice, someone said to do that before you hit the job. Believe dat. It isn't hard to figure out if a climber knows what he is doing, even to the lay person.

When I first got in this biz, I tried to climb with out any training, bought the books, came here, met JPS. He told me one thing that changed it all. FIND A PRO TO TEACH YOU IN THE TREE. The books are great, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING can substitute a seasoned vet showing you the way of the Jedi. He can show you why that TIP is good and the other is bad, throw your lanyard this way, instead of that way. I had read all the basics and still was struggling. I asked around, trying to find out who "the man" was. Cranky old climber that used to run Davey. Bill was the best thing that could have happened to me in those days. Hard as a Marine DI and a worse disposition. He was a complete A-Hole to me, but I listened to every word. He spent a summer with me and it changed my whole outlook on the biz. He is the one that made me want to do things right. Not only with climbing, but tree care.
I am sure that one of these guys on here are close to you, go hook up with them, give a day of work, in trade for some "hands on training" Then take that info to the park and practice, someone said to do that before you hit the job. Believe dat. It isn't hard to figure out if a climber knows what he is doing, even to the lay person.

Begging for anyone in area, will adjust my.schedule to yours if you would take the time. However.you would.w want to do it. I'm in Blissfield, MI. 15 miles North of Toledo, OH. I agree that this would be my.best bet IF someone could come up with a plan.

Oh, there is no way I would.show up to the job without climbing a few trees. I scheduled the job for late in the week and will be climbing everyday before that. If I don't feel like I can do it I won't. Have to see how it goes but I feel this would be the perfect first time limb.

You'll be fine man its not like your attempting a monster removal over a house, everyone started somewhere. Good luck and be safe

I didn't read this whole thread but I gotta agree with Blakes on that first post. Take some ####### pride in your work... if you have tree work and a bucket truck hire a real arborist and learn from him. I am sick of watching you bucket babies butcher trees..... Just took down a nearly 100 year old elm that was doing fine until some bucket pansy "pruned" it..... he had hacked every leader to one tiny stick... first windstorm nearly every twig with a leaf bud on it came off... needless to say it didn't make it.

Latest posts

Back