My first climb job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread gone bad. Posted with good intent in the proper forum and kind of blew up. That's ok, I'll be fine and there was some to learn from this. Wow? Admit might not have best crew but will make it. Had a good starting year and getting off to a better one this year. You guys on this forum are the only reason I would even think of learning to climb and thank you for it. Maybe some looking out for my safety so I hope I don't get hurt for the bashers to say I told you so. Stay tuned, will let you know.

sawman, you will do just fine, its just one branch, just make sure and use 2 TIP's (2 tie in points) when your up there.
If branch is 5", just use hand saw, but make sure and bring up rigging rope, put it above branch to be lowerd down
and make sure you have a ground man there on the rig rope.

You didnt say what type of tree it is...if its a fragrance cedar, be carefull, branchs snap easy, make sure and get rope on a good size limb.

sawman, you will do just fine, its just one branch, just make sure and use 2 TIP's (2 tie in points) when your up there.
If branch is 5", just use hand saw, but make sure and bring up rigging rope, put it above branch to be lowerd down
and make sure you have a ground man there on the rig rope.

You didnt say what type of tree it is...if its a fragrance cedar, be carefull, branchs snap easy, make sure and get rope on a good size limb.

Lol, you posted that from your mobile; Didn't you?

Sorry dude, I don't see it. Maybe I need to move to Missouri because around here if I told a customer that I'd never climbed a tree before they would laugh me off their property...

I didn't realize that our local reputation reached that far. It's true; nobody asks for credentials around here.

Story: one day I was talking to one of my very best customers, along with her boss. They didn't seem to like my suggestions, and she said "Maybe we should call an arborist and see what they have to say". I pulled out my card and showed them my credentials.

I have been working for this company since 1985, and I have done all their tree work for the last 10 years. This is a property management company, and they own zillions of dollars worth of property.

There is a thread over in the PRO section about a guy trying to find a good climber, maybe I should suggest that he check in jails and at AA meetings.
Rick

already checked the jails, aa meetings and even skid row where the homeless hang out...

already checked the jails, aa meetings and even skid row where the homeless hang out...

Sorry SJ, wasn't trying to step on your toes. I know you are the one that started the afore mentioned thread in the PRO section. I understand your problem, been trying to hire good help myself for almost two years now. Maybe I'm too picky, but I haven't yet resorted to checking such places for help.

Rick

Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.

Last edited:
Well, came to the conclusion that I have to learn to climb to do this business right. Bid a job today and got that I will have to climb to remove a limb that I don't have access to from the truck. Is first limb about 25' and is the only limb that needs to be removed from that tree, not real huge but HO is worried about ice storms and protecting the house. Going to buy my equipment Monday from Treeman supply which is located close to me. Just happened to have received my 5 dvd basic trailning for tree climbers by TCIA. I am not an expert which is why I posted this here but the vids should get me safely in the tree and perform the task. I scheduled it later next week so I can practice in a nice Maple in the yard but am excited about learning this skill. I will take it very slow and safe and will bring a level of safety to my operation. Any pointers will be welcome, I know this is very dangerous territory for a newb climber but feel up to the challenge. Are TCIA's vids good? Just watched the rigging for removal set and learned some great tricks that will speed up production and safety.

You need to hire a guy like me... Let's face it, there are plenty of professional services where the owner is not the professional... But they are usually professional enough to hire a professional...

I climb for $125 an hour... And I'm available if you can fit that in your bid.

Oh yeah, and I have been known to trade out climbing services for bucket services... As well as other services... I guess I'm just a tree slut... :hmm3grin2orange:

Easy on the poor guy blakes... I thought this forum was for beginners and new to the business types, what's a salty old veteran tree dog like you doing in here picking on the poor guy? Live and let live bro!

Yeah, you ####ing #####!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Wow, you actually sound a good guy rather than a blathering know it all! Nice to see some restraint in the 101 forum. Maybe someday I will be the Moderator of this forum. May need some since they will likely get a little harassed here to.
Jeff

First you would have to learn how to climb Jeff! :hmm3grin2orange:

OK, sorry to be blunt but I have seen many come and many go here... I have known some here, who are successful owners now, since they started out doing line clearance... I have even seen Blakesy take off since nearly his first climb ( looked as so anyway) and seen him blossom, prosper and make me proud.

Dude, I don't think you will be here in another year or two. You will be another "arborist" who falls by the wayside and eats his bucket... Nothing personal, You're a good guy and all, I've just been in this business a long time and seen many come and go.

OK, sorry to be blunt but I have seen many come and many go here... I have known some here, who are successful owners now, since they started out doing line clearance... I have even seen Blakesy take off since nearly his first climb ( looked as so anyway) and seen him blossom, prosper and make me proud.

Dude, I don't think you will be here in another year or two. You will be another "arborist" who falls by the wayside and eats his bucket... Nothing personal, You're a good guy and all, I've just been in this business a long time and seen many come and go.

No offense taken md, you are always honest and to the point and enjoy your take on things. Will I be here in the future, time will tell. Enjoy the biz right now but I am getting older and going hard. 3-11:30pm at the factory then on road by 7am to cut trees. Nothing comes easy in life and I will give it hell as long as my health permits while I hope it's a long time. I would love to learn from you in person but plane tickets flying you back and forth would break me. Wife and 4 young children would not permit me to spend a summer with you. (if you'd take me in)

Thanks for the kind words, bud. This forum is a great place to learn from pros, books and dvds help too. I would be no where near as far along as I am today without being able to bounce my ideas, job pics, equipment purchases, etc. off guys like you.

With that being said, having the basic knowledge of how this industry works is necessary, i.e. working for a good company for a few years, or hiring on a skilled climber to show you the ropes. Too many guys go out and buy an old, beat up bucket truck, write tree service on the side and usually end up doing far more harm than good in their local market.

Sorry SJ, wasn't trying to step on your toes. I know you are the one that started the afore mentioned thread in the PRO section. I understand your problem, been trying to hire good help myself for almost two years now. Maybe I'm too picky, but I haven't yet resorted to checking such places for help.

Rick

Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
Its not completely uncommon to see SUPERJ'S Box completely filled by tree workers

No offense taken md, you are always honest and to the point and enjoy your take on things. Will I be here in the future, time will tell. Enjoy the biz right now but I am getting older and going hard. 3-11:30pm at the factory then on road by 7am to cut trees. Nothing comes easy in life and I will give it hell as long as my health permits while I hope it's a long time. I would love to learn from you in person but plane tickets flying you back and forth would break me. Wife and 4 young children would not permit me to spend a summer with you. (if you'd take me in)

Well, if it tells you anything than everyone I worked for when I was younger told me I'd never make it on my own as well. Funny, I am still in business long after a lot of them have closed up shop... And some are no longer even with us in this world.

I would try to contract a good climber on the jobs you need him for and learn from him.

Well, if it tells you anything than everyone I worked for when I was younger told me I'd never make it on my own as well. Funny, I am still in business long after a lot of them have closed up shop... And some are no longer even with us in this world.

I would try to contract a good climber on the jobs you need him for and learn from him.

I will ask the folks at treeman supply tomorrow when I go to pick up my equipment. I know there are some people on staff do some climbing, but I think it's just recreation, could still learn from them or they may have some local contacts for me.

Off the ground

Went and bought my climbing gear and went out in the yard to try it out. I have a whole new respect for most of you folks that climb! I used a closed system with a blakes hitch and body thrusting. What an awesome workout! Went up about 20' 5 times which I know isn't much but I get the idea. Tried to footlock and that will take some practice. I need to keep practicing but is pretty cool. I bet you really sweat in the summer doing it in full gear. I only have an hour before my daughters b-ball game so going to head back out and re-crotch to something higher. More later... Did notice I should have bought the better harness but they didn't have my size (too big and too small) so I went with the cheaper one. Probably won't take it back to trade in will they being a safety device.

Went and bought my climbing gear and went out in the yard to try it out. I have a whole new respect for most of you folks that climb! I used a closed system with a blakes hitch and body thrusting. What an awesome workout! Went up about 20' 5 times which I know isn't much but I get the idea. Tried to footlock and that will take some practice. I need to keep practicing but is pretty cool. I bet you really sweat in the summer doing it in full gear. I only have an hour before my daughters b-ball game so going to head back out and re-crotch to something higher. More later... Did notice I should have bought the better harness but they didn't have my size (too big and too small) so I went with the cheaper one. Probably won't take it back to trade in will they being a safety device.

A little harder than it looks...hmmm :laugh:

Latest posts

Back