My first climb job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, came to the conclusion that I have to learn to climb to do this business right. Bid a job today and got that I will have to climb to remove a limb that I don't have access to from the truck. Is first limb about 25' and is the only limb that needs to be removed from that tree, not real huge but HO is worried about ice storms and protecting the house. Going to buy my equipment Monday from Treeman supply which is located close to me. Just happened to have received my 5 dvd basic trailning for tree climbers by TCIA. I am not an expert which is why I posted this here but the vids should get me safely in the tree and perform the task. I scheduled it later next week so I can practice in a nice Maple in the yard but am excited about learning this skill. I will take it very slow and safe and will bring a level of safety to my operation. Any pointers will be welcome, I know this is very dangerous territory for a newb climber but feel up to the challenge. Are TCIA's vids good? Just watched the rigging for removal set and learned some great tricks that will speed up production and safety.

Youll be fine, I started out climbing with out any safety gear at all, i just felt comfortable in the tree. But I got wiser with age and started using safety gear. I have run bucket trucks and I tend to trust my ropes better than a piece of machinery. My god some of the people on here think they are the **** and must not remeber that they had to start out some where too.

While you seem a decent enough guy I take big issue with you charging people for a professional service when you don't know how to do it. I can hang sheetrock, and do it pretty well, but I wouldn't ever try to charge someone professional rates for my work. It's very unethical.

I used to think like this, but now I know that working for too little helps nobody. It creates resentment among your business peers. A job is a job, and the important part is that it gets done safely and well. You should always charge the going rate. A more experienced outfit will make more 'cause they are faster. Think about it: charging too little attracts poor clientele who will never be happy, charging too little doesn't cover your liability risk, doesn't make you a living, puts pressure on the newbie outfit to HURRY, resulting in unsafe conditions and a poor job, becoming fodder for you tree guys to ridicule them. I can be said that anyone who follows your ethical advice, Blakesmaster, just creates more people for you to make fun of. Nice little racket you got going.

Yeah, first post, I know:msp_tongue:

I've been around, but don't know much about tree work. I lurk on AS and pick up a nugget here and there. I'm 40, don't climb, currently work part time as a groundie, was a self-employed builder/carpenter for years, ruined my body, made some money, and now I do easier work out of my shop. I've met some real doosies in my working life, but some of you urban tree guys take the the self-aggrandizing cake! Congratulations.

Ya anyway, always charge the going rate...

I used to think like this, but now I know that working for too little helps nobody. It creates resentment among your business peers. A job is a job, and the important part is that it gets done safely and well. You should always charge the going rate. A more experienced outfit will make more 'cause they are faster. Think about it: charging too little attracts poor clientele who will never be happy, charging too little doesn't cover your liability risk, doesn't make you a living, puts pressure on the newbie outfit to HURRY, resulting in unsafe conditions and a poor job, becoming fodder for you tree guys to ridicule them. I can be said that anyone who follows your ethical advice, Blakesmaster, just creates more people for you to make fun of. Nice little racket you got going.

I've been around, but don't know much about tree work. I lurk on AS and pick up a nugget here and there. I'm 40, don't climb, currently work part time as a groundie, was a self-employed builder/carpenter for years, ruined my body, made some money, and now I do easier work out of my shop. I've met some real doosies in my working life, but some of you urban tree guys take the the self-aggrandizing cake! Congratulations.

Well if you have been in this business for any amount of time you would realize that there are not many climbers out there who do not have a big ego. Just goes with the territory... We are a lot like cops in that regard. :hmm3grin2orange:

Job went well, had rope in the tree ready to go up and decided before I strap in I will see if my bucket could reach the tips from the drive. I missed judged the distance I could reach, got the tips and half the limb. Repositioned truck in the raid and was able to get the rest of it and all the suckers. Job went fantastic and HO now wants me to remove a 32" white oak. Tried to talk him into just taking some weight off some of the leaders but insisted to just have it taken out as his wife is concerned about the house. So will have to wait till the next episode for climbing. In the mean time I plan to trim my trees at home using nothing but rope. Will be a good to gain experience on my own stuff. Will post picks of my trees later.

I think you missed his point. He was talking about the fact that someone portrays themselves as a pro, and is not. No offense to someone learning the ropes, but you shouldn't claim pro when you are still learning. Even if you are learning the right way, from a pro, you are still a student.

stundent or pro

From student to pro level - or any where in between. With moving\swinging limbs or logs around you. One wrong move could be your last. Stay sharp! Climb on..

I think you missed his point. He was talking about the fact that someone portrays themselves as a pro, and is not. No offense to someone learning the ropes, but you shouldn't claim pro when you are still learning. Even if you are learning the right way, from a pro, you are still a student.

Nah, I didn't miss his point, I just don't agree with it.

If you did not miss it, you should read it again!
Don't be stupid!
Jeff

I don't think he's worried about being stupid; How does disagreeing with what someone said equate to being stupid?

Isn't that a bit childish, to call someone stupid because they don't agree with you?

You guys have more to learn than he does.

Well if you have been in this business for any amount of time you would realize that there are not many climbers out there who do not have a big ego. Just goes with the territory... We are a lot like cops in that regard. :hmm3grin2orange:

well you should see what its like when you combine the two.

I don't think he's worried about being stupid; How does disagreeing with what someone said equate to being stupid?

Isn't that a bit childish, to call someone stupid because they don't agree with you?

You guys have more to learn than he does.

I disagree with 90% of your posts but I don't think your stupid. Ignorant would be a better word.

It would be more entertaining to watch a cop be a climber's groundie, or vice versa.

Hey, looks like the new guy finished his job, got paid and the customer is happy. All without climbing. Is he a pro? At what?

That is the whole problem ! You don't listen to anybody, do you Clueless?

What we need is a big can of Carb cleaner!
Rick

Latest posts

Back